Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

161 - 171 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
My son got pulled over for no helmet in my Slingshot the day I bought it. Only got a warning. There was a thread on a FB Slingshot page a few months ago, man in Palm Desert area got hassled and ticketed for no helmet. Thing is this man had a custom made roll cage. He went to court and the ticket was dismissed. But I read that Federal law thing, and it's true that there are no air bags, in CA you still have to wear a helmet, if they want to get technical about it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
California Law defines a motorcycle - Has a seat or saddle for the use of the rider, and is designed to travel on NOT MORE THAN THREE WHEELS in contact with the ground. Ca. Vehicle Code (CVC) 400(a). Although, you do not need a M1 endorsement to drive a Slingshot just a Class C. So a Slingshot is defined as a Motorcycle.

Now with that being said, the Helmet Law (27803(b) CVC) states - UNLAWFUL TO OPERATE A MOTORCYCLE, IF DRIVER OR ANY PASSENGER IS NOT WEARING A HELMET MEETING FEDERAL REQUIRMENTS.

THAT SOUNDS TO ME LIKE YOU NEED A HELMET REGARDLESS OF SEATBELTS OR ENCLOSED CABIN. RIGHT?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes, you're right. What remains ambiguous to me under current CA law: is a half-shell (DOT approved, of course) OK or is a full helmet (as Polaris recommends) required?

·
Registered
728 Posts
California Law defines a motorcycle - Has a seat or saddle for the use of the rider, and is designed to travel on NOT MORE THAN THREE WHEELS in contact with the ground. Ca. Vehicle Code (CVC) 400(a). Although, you do not need a M1 endorsement to drive a Slingshot just a Class C. So a Slingshot is defined as a Motorcycle.

Now with that being said, the Helmet Law (27803(b) CVC) states - UNLAWFUL TO OPERATE A MOTORCYCLE, IF DRIVER OR ANY PASSENGER IS NOT WEARING A HELMET MEETING FEDERAL REQUIRMENTS.

THAT SOUNDS TO ME LIKE YOU NEED A HELMET REGARDLESS OF SEATBELTS OR ENCLOSED CABIN. RIGHT?
Depends on the police officer's and the judge's interpretation of (f). If you want to be safer and avoid a possible ticket always wear a helmet. If you like the wind blowing in your hair or as some call it the feeling of freedom, feel safe enough without a helmet, feel confident enough that you can convince a police officer that (f) applies to slingshots if you get stopped, just too lazy or it's too hot to put on a helmet, or a 60's person who still believes in civil disobedience then you shouldn't wear one.

For me, depending how I feel that day, weather and the road conditions of where I'm going, I make my decision on wearing a helmet before I step in to my slingshot but I always carry a helmet and a copy of (f) in case I change my mind while on the road. I never wear a helmet just because the government told me to, I'm so 60's. :jimlad:

PS I'm scheduled to get all my parts from Polaris for my Slingshot delivered today. Fortunately, I didn't name my slingshot Humpty Dumpty and I am able to "put my slingshot, Il Potente, back together again". Should be back on the road this weekend, sometimes with and sometimes without a helmet.:)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Not ALL motorcycle riders are required to wear helmets. You need to keep reading the CVC for the exceptions.

Also, wearing a helmet is not ALWAYS safer.
When your body is secured to the seat with a seatbelt, the weight of a full faced helmet during an accident can cause your neck to snap. This is the reason racecar driver's use HANS devices now, but driving on streets, with side traffic, HANS devices would limit your view too much.

If you're going to wear a helmet, get as light a weight one as possible, because the only thing it's good for in a Slingshot, is deflecting debris.
YES, half helmets are perfectly legal. DOT approved is required, but I don't know of any LEO that will stop you if you have a novelty helmet on instead because the law is written that it is their burden of proof to show that your helmet does not meet the standards, not yours. They just don't have the time or money to go thru all that.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Not ALL motorcycle riders are required to wear helmets. You need to keep reading the CVC for the exceptions.

When your body is secured to the seat with a seatbelt, the weight of a full faced helmet during an accident can cause your neck to snap. This is the reason racecar driver's use HANS devices now, but driving on streets, with side traffic, HANS devices would limit your view too much.

If you're going to wear a helmet, get as light a weight one as possible, because the only thing it's good for in a Slingshot, is deflecting debris.
YES, half helmets are perfectly legal. DOT approved is required, but I don't know of any LEO that will stop you if you have a novelty helmet on instead because the law is written that it is their burden of proof to show that your helmet does not meet the standards, not yours. They just don't have the time or money to go thru all that.
Nozzle, I stand corrected, you are absolutely correct. They are good for road grenades but a head on could go either way. Lighter the better is good advice.

·
Registered
412 Posts

So, what are the exceptions?

·
Registered
379 Posts
(a) A driver and any passenger shall wear a safety helmet meeting requirements established pursuant to Section 27802 when riding on a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or motorized bicycle.
(f) This section does not apply to a person operating, or riding as a passenger in, a fully enclosed three-wheeled motor vehicle that is not less than seven feet in length and not less than four feet in width, and has an unladen weight of 900 pounds or more, if the vehicle meets or exceeds all of the requirements of this code, the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, and the rules and regulations adopted by the United States Department of Transportation and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The gray areas is 'fully enclosed' . If your talking safety enclosure vs. weather enclosure, the surrounding cage and roll hoops meet that. Those hoops aren't just there to look pretty, they had to meet safety requirements (that's why there was a recall on them).

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
When your body is secured to the seat with a seatbelt, the weight of a full faced helmet during an accident can cause your neck to snap.
OK, since once again this topic has been brought up, I am asking again for an example of anybody riding a SlingShot incurring an injury caused solely by wearing a helmet, any helmet?
Thank you,
Bill

161 - 171 of 171 Posts