Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

121 - 140 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have not worn my helmet in SoCal many times. I have been told the same as others above. We did a ride last year into the mountains with 16 SS zooming about. We drew a lot of attention and half the drivers were not wearing helmets. I normally wear a helmet, especially on the freeway. In California the question is squarely in the ambiguous corner until a court decision. As far as I know, there still is not yet a court opinion on this issue. As a cautionary note, if you are driving with a stock wind shield, I would recommend wearing a helmet with face protection. I was wearing sun glasses and had my visor up a few months ago while driving on the freeway and took a bee right between the eyes. It lived long enough to sting me on the bridge of my nose. With the standard wind shields, I think it is a good idea to wear at least face protection, of some kind, while driving. I also get tired of the extra noise experienced when driving without a helmet.

·
Registered
729 Posts
[QUOTE=" In California the question is squarely in the ambiguous corner until a court decision. As far as I know, there still is not yet a court opinion on this issue. [/QUOTE]
Don, it was pointed out to me by another poster a long time ago that currently helmet enforcement is a county-by-county decision. So you could be found guilty Orange County and not guilty in Riverside County. It would need to be appealed the to California Supreme Court or clarified in the law to go state wide. Until then we are subject to the whims of police and county judges.:)

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
We just had a young lady last week come through the ER after an accident. It seems that an officer has stopped her several times for not wearing her helmet, and it happened to be this very same officer investigating this accident. When he walked into the ER room she waved him over closer to her bed and planted a great big kiss on him for she was wearing her helmet this time! :)

Bill

·
Registered
379 Posts
We just had a young lady last week come through the ER after an accident. It seems that an officer has stopped her several times for not wearing her helmet, and it happened to be this very same officer investigating this accident. When he walked into the ER room she waved him over closer to her bed and planted a great big kiss on him for she was wearing her helmet this time! :)

Bill
In a slingshot?

·
Registered
9 Posts
[QUOTE=" In California the question is squarely in the ambiguous corner until a court decision. As far as I know, there still is not yet a court opinion on this issue.
Don, it was pointed out to me by another poster a long time ago that currently helmet enforcement is a county-by-county decision. So you could be found guilty Orange County and not guilty in Riverside County. It would need to be appealed the to California Supreme Court or clarified in the law to go state wide. Until then we are subject to the whims of police and county judges.:)[/QUOTE]
Good Point. I have only driven w/o a helmet in Riverside and San Bernardino counties. This should have occurred to me. I know one can drive around with very dark front side windows on one's car all day long in San Bernardino county. Go to Riverside and the risk of getting a ticket for the window tint goes up dramatically. Considering the niche market the SS falls into, it will probably be some time before a case makes it to the Supremes.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
In a slingshot?
No, a Spyder, where she was going around a corner, skidding out when hitting gravel between the driving lanes and then over a steep embankment, tumbling the trike with it winding up on it's side partially upside down against a tree.

Bill

·
Registered
589 Posts
No, a Spyder, where she was going around a corner, skidding out when hitting gravel between the driving lanes and then over a steep embankment, tumbling the trike with it winding up on it's side partially upside down against a tree.

Bill
Not to mention all the flying debris from trucks on the interstate. Insane to ride without a helmet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I'm sorry if this has already been covered.

If you look on the Polaris website "slingshot" it clearly states:

Slingshot® is a three-wheeled motorcycle. It is not an automobile. It does not have airbags and it does not meet automotive safety standards. Three wheel vehicles may handle differently than other vehicles, especially in wet conditions. Always wear a DOT-approved full-face helmet and fasten seatbelts. The Driver may need a valid motorcycle endorsement. Don’t drink and drive.

California Vehicle code:

(a) A driver and any passenger shall wear a safety helmet meeting requirements established pursuant to Section 27802 when riding on a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or motorized bicycle.

(b) It is unlawful to operate a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or motorized bicycle if the driver or any passenger is not wearing a safety helmet as required by subdivision (a).

(c) It is unlawful to ride as a passenger on a motorcycle, motor-driven cycles, or motorized bicycle if the driver or any passenger is not wearing a safety helmet as required by subdivision (a).

(d) This section applies to persons who are riding on motorcycles, motor-driven cycles, or motorized bicycles operated on the highways.

(e) For the purposes of this section, “wear a safety helmet” or “wearing a safety helmet” means having a safety helmet meeting the requirements of Section 27802 on the person’s head that is fastened with the helmet straps and that is of a size that fits the wearing person’s head securely without excessive lateral or vertical movement.

(f) This section does not apply to a person operating, or riding as a passenger in, a fully enclosed three-wheeled motor vehicle that is not less than seven feet in length and not less than four feet in width, and has an unladen weight of 900 pounds or more, if the vehicle meets or exceeds all of the requirements of this code, the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, and the rules and regulations adopted by the United States Department of Transportation and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

(g) In enacting this section, it is the intent of the Legislature to ensure that all persons are provided with an additional safety benefit while operating or riding a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or motorized bicycle.

Since the Slingshot DOES NOT MEET AUTOMOTIVE SAFETY STANDARDS the helmet law DOES apply to it(California).

Sorry I'm not yelling lol on all the red and bold writing.

·
Registered
379 Posts
A vehicle can meet federal vehicle safety standards but not meet automotive safety standards. The two are not the same. ie street bikes meet federal vehicle safety standards but not automotive safety standards. Dirt bikes meet neither. It has more to do with how many reflectors, lights and mirrors a vehicle has than how many wheels, airbags or if it's enclosed it not.

·
Registered
729 Posts
[QUOTE="SlingshotTTT, post: 875751, member: 44319
Since the Slingshot DOES NOT MEET AUTOMOTIVE SAFETY STANDARDS the helmet law DOES apply to it(California). /QUOTE/
Fortunately this is the first time this being addressed, Today.
California law does not state that if a vehicle does not meet automotive safety standards the Helmet law does apply.

The SS meets all of Exception "f' except possibly the fully enclosed. Common sense would probably suggest you should wear a helmet but if you don't a police officer may ticket you and the County Judge will determine if the SS meets the "f" exception. I say "possibly" because my SS has a front, back, sides, and a top. Motorcycle dontd have these. And also, isn't a SS with the Slinglines upgrade kit fully enclosed by any definition?

·
Registered
3 Posts
A vehicle can meet federal vehicle safety standards but not meet automotive safety standards. The two are not the same. ie street bikes meet federal vehicle safety standards but not automotive safety standards. Dirt bikes meet neither. It has more to do with how many reflectors, lights and mirrors a vehicle has than how many wheels, airbags or if it's enclosed it not.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has a legislative mandate under Title 49 of the United States Code, Chapter 301, Motor Vehicle Safety, to issue Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) and Regulations to which manufacturers of motor vehicles and items of motor vehicle equipment must conform and certify compliance.

FMVSS are regulations written in terms of minimum safety performance requirements for motor vehicles and motor vehicle equipment. They specify the level of protection to an occupant against unreasonable risk of death or injury in the event of a crash.

Since the SS is a "Motorcycle" and it does not meet automotive safety standards it falls under the helmet law.

This Subsection is listed under the CVC.
(f) This section does not apply to a person operating, or riding as a passenger in, a fully enclosed three-wheeled motor vehicle that is not less than seven feet in length and not less than four feet in width, and has an unladen weight of 900 pounds or more, if the vehicle meets or exceeds all of the requirements of this code, the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, and the rules and regulations adopted by the United States Department of Transportation and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

A motorcycle is a motor vehicle that has a seat or saddle for the use of the rider, and is designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground per California Vehicle Code (CVC) 400 (a) and whose motor displaces more than 150 cubic centimeters (150cc).

• Two-wheeled motorcycles require an M-1 endorsement.
    • Three-wheeled motorcycles or motorcycles with an attached sidecar require only a Class C driver license per CVC 12804.9.
    • A Department of Transportation (DOT) compliant helmet is required.

• Motorcycles, Motor-Driven Cycles, Motorized Bicycles/Mopeds (Section 406(a) CVC ) - A helmet meeting Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 218, self-certified by the manufacturer and displaying a 'DOT' emblem must be worn by all riders of motorcycles, motor-driven cycles, and motorized bicycles/mopeds

-The SS is registered as a Motorcycle.
    -It is a 3 wheeled motorcycle.

I say if don't wear a helmet I should receive a citation. If it's a "motorcycle" wear a helmet. It's not a fully enclosed three-wheeled motorcycle. It does not have airbags (current year mfg.) and it does not meet automotive safety standards. The belts are there for extra safety and shall be worn when operating.

·
Registered
589 Posts
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has a legislative mandate under Title 49 of the United States Code, Chapter 301, Motor Vehicle Safety, to issue Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) and Regulations to which manufacturers of motor vehicles and items of motor vehicle equipment must conform and certify compliance.

FMVSS are regulations written in terms of minimum safety performance requirements for motor vehicles and motor vehicle equipment. They specify the level of protection to an occupant against unreasonable risk of death or injury in the event of a crash.

Since the SS is a "Motorcycle" and it does not meet automotive safety standards it falls under the helmet law.

This Subsection is listed under the CVC.

A motorcycle is a motor vehicle that has a seat or saddle for the use of the rider, and is designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground per California Vehicle Code (CVC) 400 (a) and whose motor displaces more than 150 cubic centimeters (150cc).

• Two-wheeled motorcycles require an M-1 endorsement.
    • Three-wheeled motorcycles or motorcycles with an attached sidecar require only a Class C driver license per CVC 12804.9.
    • A Department of Transportation (DOT) compliant helmet is required.

• Motorcycles, Motor-Driven Cycles, Motorized Bicycles/Mopeds (Section 406(a) CVC ) - A helmet meeting Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 218, self-certified by the manufacturer and displaying a 'DOT' emblem must be worn by all riders of motorcycles, motor-driven cycles, and motorized bicycles/mopeds

-The SS is registered as a Motorcycle.
    -It is a 3 wheeled motorcycle.

I say if don't wear a helmet I should receive a citation. If it's a "motorcycle" wear a helmet. It's not a fully enclosed three-wheeled motorcycle. It does not have airbags (current year mfg.) and it does not meet automotive safety standards. The belts are there for extra safety and shall be worn when operating.
You forgot the Autocycle statue and classification which does exist in at least 40 states. Some, not all require a helmet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You forgot the Autocycle statue and classification which does exist in at least 40 states. Some, not all require a helmet.
:)I'm sorry if I wasn't clear but I'm only referring to California. I understand there are states which do not require a helmet. At least we all agree wearing a helmet is a smart thing to do. Every photo on the Polaris SS website shows people with helmets lol.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The slingshot meets all federal vehicle safety regulations.

The slingshot does not meet automotive safety standards.

The slingshot is a motorcycle (in California) and you must follow the helmet rules in the CVC for motorcycles.

The CVC does not require a helmet be worn on a motorcycle when it meets the provisions in {f}.

So, now it comes down to a matter of opinion on what constitutes "fully enclosed" . The slingshot does provide coverage above, below and to the sides. Who decides how much coverage is needed to meet the criteria. Judge A? Judge B? LEO 1? or LEO 2?
Any law that leaves it up to someone's opinion it's not a law that can be enforced.

If the lawmakers decide on a standard, and the slingshot does not confirm and i am required to wear a helmet, can I then remove the roll hoops? or take out the seat belts? since we know that seatbelts and helmets should not go together. That practice died with Dale Earnhardt.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
To date listening to this debate for over three years now, I do not believe that I have read about one single rider walking out of a California court winning(?) their case for not wearing a helmet in the SlingShot?
Bill

·
Registered
589 Posts
IMG_0718 (002).jpg
:)I'm sorry if I wasn't clear but I'm only referring to California. I understand there are states which do not require a helmet. At least we all agree wearing a helmet is a smart thing to do. Every photo on the Polaris SS website shows people with helmets lol.
In my world, it is not up for discussion about what the law does or does not require. There is no way that I would think about not wearing a helmet. I am starting to think that my dog needs one too but I can't find one to fit him properly.

121 - 140 of 173 Posts