Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as far as the Slingshot is concerned. What is the law in CA for helmets? I saw a Motorcycles.com video that says that Slingshot riders do not have to wear a helmet, only a seat belt.

I read in the below statute that "This section [helmet laws] does not apply to a person operating, or riding as a passenger in, a fully enclosed three-wheeled motor vehicle that is not less than seven feet in length and not less than four feet in width, and has an unladen weight of 900 pounds or more, if the vehicle meets or exceeds all of the requirements of this code....."

Am I interpreting this correctly?

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=veh&group=27001-28000&file=27800-27803

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've been riding all over without one. Passing cops all the time. I have asked a Oakland cop and a Livermore cop they both said if you are wearing a seatbelt and can't fall out and have rollover protection your fine with no helmet. I still carry one, but just to make and receive phone calls. I want to get a ticket to test it in court. I won a non DOT helmet ticket in court.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The question is what is the legal definition of "fully enclosed." It is open to interpretation unless a judge ruled in a prior case.

·
Registered
30 Posts
How would the current SS be classified as "fully enclosed?" The driving compartment seems obviously open to me. No idea how many LEO's would ever pull you over (or write you up if pulled over for other cause) but I can't see beating that ticket in court.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I talked to a CHP Officer and he said that HE would go by the registration. It is registered as a motorcycle, there fore it follows motorcycle laws. I asked him about the seatbelt since there isn't a seatbelt law for motorcycles, he replied by asking me if there are seatbelts in the vehicle, I said yes, and he said you better use it then because if you don't I'll have to do my job and give you a citation for not using it.
I thanked him for his time and for him to have a good day.
I'm sure pending on how you treat the officer you will be treated accordingly, they're there to enforce the law not to be judge or jury, it's up to the courts to decide the law.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I talked to a CHP Officer and he said that HE would go by the registration. It is registered as a motorcycle, there fore it follows motorcycle laws. I asked him about the seatbelt since there isn't a seatbelt law for motorcycles, he replied by asking me if there are seatbelts in the vehicle, I said yes, and he said you better use it then because if you don't I'll have to do my job and give you a citation for not using it.
I thanked him for his time and for him to have a good day.
I'm sure pending on how you treat the officer you will be treated accordingly, they're there to enforce the law not to be judge or jury, it's up to the courts to decide the law.

Just wanted to throw into the mix as Canadian and American laws are different but I can tell you that some public transit buses, some school busses and also the majority of highway busses have seat belts installed and cops will not ticket you for not wearing your seat belt in a public transit bus if it is so equipped, so again we are seeing regional biases or interpretations come into play when it deals with highway traffic acts.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have 600 mi in cal with no helmet. Had a chp give me a thumbs up on the freeway. Asked a Livermore cop and a Oakland motorcycle cop about the law they said in different words if you can't fall out and you have rollover protection they would not ticket. I have the law with me and a helmet actually two. I will take a ticket and go to court I have beat a none dot ticket in court.

·
Vendor
2,226 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. I've been driving to L.A. doing a lot prototyping for Slingshot parts and have been taking the car pool lane without a passenger. It feels really odd in the car pool lane.. but I know I'm allowed to use it as a motorcycle... I think my odds of being pulled over would go up dramatically with no helmet. I've seen a few other slingshot owners in So Cal with no helmet.

·
Slingshot SL "KEEP OFF"
759 Posts
Over 1200 miles in So Cal without a helmet........No indication of an issue so far.....;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm over 1000 miles in so cal with no helmet and with no issues. I do have a saved snapshot of the vehicle code in case I get stopped. I also carry a helmet just in case, but so far cops just look at me as I go by. Great question, and I've been reluctant to join some of the group rides because of the helmet question. The pictures I've seen of other events show everybody wearing a helmet, and I don't want to be the only one without one as we pass cops.

·
Vendor
2,226 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I only wear one on long trips on the freeway. Cops only say how nice it is. I got pulled over by CHP just so he can look at it. They don't know what it is.

1 - 20 of 171 Posts