Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys...at the risk of sounding stupid....which we don't want to talk to my girlfriend about...I'm trying to get a little sound out of my speaker pods just using stock infotainment cluster f?>%...I bought a 1" spacer 5.25 to6.5" and was wondering if I could buy a full range 6.5" triaxial or coaxial and hook the woofer wire to it and hook up the mid wire to 3.5" coaxial and the wire that comes off the mid to go to the tweeter run it back to the 6.5" triaxial speaker to run the mid and tweet in the triaxial.....would it hurt would it work has anybody tried.....any advice from the gurus or anybody that knows stereos would be helpful....thanks guys...oh I just want to add that the speaker I pulled out of the mid doesn't look like a typical 3.5"but the still bolt up or is there modifications to be made...well that''s all I got ...thanks again

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
When I first tried using the stock Polaris floor speakers, I upgraded to a 5.25 or 6.5" 3-way speaker (can't remember for sure) and simply bypassed the stock crossover, connecting the incoming speaker wire to the 3-way speaker since it contains its own crossover and then left the mid-range and tweeter in place to keep the original sealed design intact. Worked fine, but I ended up removing it because I didn't like the intrusion into my leg room. I eventually tried SSV Works floor enclosures, but I'm getting ready to remove them for the same reason. I LIKE having that room for my legs! It's just a foible of mine.;)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok I was wondering about that also just bypass crossover and straight into the speaker...perfect......that way I can buy a higher grade speaker since I'm just using stock info sys in hind sight what 6.5" should I be looking at for full good sound high efficency or high sensitivity what speaker would you buy to get most bang for the buck...thanks BKL

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Assuming the radio you have is designed for 4 ohm speaker output (most are), I'd recommend these speakers - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BF6HWCM/. 4 ohm, Hi Sensitivity (91 dB) meaning more sound volume for any given amp output and a poly speaker cone. Some reviewers felt they didn't have enough bass, but you can probably just adjust the bass in the radio. Make sure you use the grilles to protect the speaker assembly from legs or pants hitting against the speakers. Here's a link to the manufacturer - Prime 6.50" 3-Way Full-Range Speaker | Rockford Fosgate ®. They're popular with Slingshot owners. IIRC, these speakers need a 5.25" to 6.5", 1/2" spacer adapter to fit the stock Polaris floor enclosures.

To get the maximum sound volume from the stock system, I'd recommend looking for speakers that have at least 90 dB Sensitivity - Amazon.com : 6.5" speakers sensitivity > 90 dB.

Keep the following in mind when choosing speakers - 6.5" speakers are often considered mid-range speakers, but as long as the speaker is rated for around 50Hz as the lowest frequency, you should be OK just adjusting the bass setting on the radio. Since the speakers will be in an open-air environment, avoid use of paper speaker cones and look for polypropolene or fiberglass reinforced speaker cones for durability. Make sure that if paper speaker cones are mentioned that they are reinforced to make them somewhat weather resistant, but I recommend avoiding paper if at all possible. Also remember to measure the stock speaker height from the back of the magnet to the rear of the mounting flange and then make sure you buy a speaker adapter/spacer that will allow a 6.5" speaker to fit in the stock 5.25" hole and that the spacer is thick enough to allow the speaker to fit in the stock enclosure. Depth Clearance = Stock speaker height + spacer thickness. IIRC, the Polaris speaker enclosures only have around 1-5/8" depth available for the main speaker, so a 1/2" spacer/adapter should hopefully provide enough room for the speaker to fit. Spacers usually come in 1/4", 1/2" and 1" thicknesses and the spacer/adapters you already have should work. If you choose to use two spacers to get sufficient clearance, glue them together so they can't allow air to get out to avoid noise form the air getting out. this is less important when using a ported enclosure since it doesn't rely on a sealed enclosure for speaker performance. Keep in mind that thicker spacers will intrude more into the cockpit and reduce your legroom, so try and use the smallest thickness that will allow the speaker to fit the enclosure.

I still have my Rockford Fosgate R165X3 speakers and was planning on donating them to Goodwill, but if you want to try them, I estimate it should cost $30 or so to ship them, depending on where you live. PM me, if interested.

One final thing - based on experience, I feel any speakers used in a Slingshot work best when used in Roll Hoop enclosures since they will place the sound source closest to your ears.

Hope this info helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts