Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just finished talking with California Speed sports in Livermore and the two people working there told me that they will NO longer be a sales or service center for the Polaris Slingshot. Although I talked to Polaris itself and their name is still listed on the website as an authorized dealer I am unsure how long this will be. One thing for sure, if/when Speed Sports does go through and no longer becomes a dealer there areNO dealers or service centers for your Slingshot unless you live ( or willing to drive/tow?)all the in Santa Rosa (wine country) or Elk Grove just outside Sacramento. I'm in Hayward, which about as central to Bay Area as it gets. To to my fellow riders in the peninsula or Santa cruz/South bay this is very distressing news.

The one silver lining I guess is that the engine we're using is a easily sourced GM engine with a long history behind it. Its just those wacky recalls service bulletins thats gonna be a real bitch to address when they come around again.

Sigh

·
Registered
501 Posts
Ya, I too am sadden by the fact that the Slingshot dealers are going bye bye. I purchase mine in Hollister in 2014/2015 time frame when it was first being sold. I was #2 on the list and the rest of the dealership was a long waiting list. I know that the Hollister and San Jose Slingshot dealership are no longer selling Slingshot. Now that Livermore is also considering to not sell Slingshot is another blow to the Slingshot owners and community. The other dealership that I know is in Auburn, where I first saw the Slingshot in 2014. They were the Canadian version that were first introduce in a car show in L.A. Had to see them in person and take pictures of them. Well I guess the Bay Area is not the only one that is in this situation.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
i just finished talking with California Speed sports in Livermore and the two people working there told me that they will NO longer be a sales or service center for the Polaris Slingshot. Although I talked to Polaris itself and their name is still listed on the website as an authorized dealer I am unsure how long this will be. One thing for sure, if/when Speed Sports does go through and no longer becomes a dealer there areNO dealers or service centers for your Slingshot unless you live ( or willing to drive/tow?)all the in Santa Rosa (wine country) or Elk Grove just outside Sacramento. I'm in Hayward, which about as central to Bay Area as it gets. To to my fellow riders in the peninsula or Santa cruz/South bay this is very distressing news.

The one silver lining I guess is that the engine we're using is a easily sourced GM engine with a long history behind it. Its just those wacky recalls service bulletins thats gonna be a real bitch to address when they come around again.

Sigh
Funny you say that, earlier this month they called me to come in for the latest recall.

Four months ago I brought my Sling in for a bunch of recalls, including the famous Bake Failure light. Mike and his team who were great had left and these two kids who were now doing the work were terrible. I don't think they knew what the were doing and they had a bad attitude. Anyway I took off on the freeway after they were done and looked at my passenger side mirror and they had pushed it in which made it useless, then going down the 205 at about 70, the hood started rising, they had not locked it down on all four latches, when I stepped on the brakes, they were mushy, not the way they were when I brought it in. Finally the brake light went back on. When I called them about the brake light going back on, they said they would call Polaris. That was the last I heard.

Ended up bringing it to Elk Grove who I was very pleased with, the guy knew what he was doing. Turned out it was the fluid level sensors. However, they gave me a quote of $300+ to replace. I did it myself for $80 and 5 minutes worth of time. They did fix the mushy brake problem for nothing.

Anyway, when I spoke to him at CSS, I read him the riot act on all the issues I had with his new employees and why I would never bring my Sling back to his shop at least until, if ever, Mike comes back. He said that wasn't going to happen. Maybe it's no coincidence he doesn't do Slings anymore.:)

In my opinion, no loss.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Ya, I too am sadden by the fact that the Slingshot dealers are going bye bye. I purchase mine in Hollister in 2014/2015 time frame when it was first being sold. I was #2 on the list and the rest of the dealership was a long waiting list. I know that the Hollister and San Jose Slingshot dealership are no longer selling Slingshot. Now that Livermore is also considering to not sell Slingshot is another blow to the Slingshot owners and community. The other dealership that I know is in Auburn, where I first saw the Slingshot in 2014. They were the Canadian version that were first introduce in a car show in L.A. Had to see them in person and take pictures of them. Well I guess the Bay Area is not the only one that is in this situation.
Auburn shut down a while a go, unless they reopened??? They were the best.

·
Registered
115 Posts
We took our Slingshot to Livermore for the fuse block recall the Saturday before the last weekend.

They told us at that time that it was the last day as a Slingshot dealer. What a surprise. We got the recall finished just in time.

He explained that it was a space issue. They have a small showroom and the 2020 models would require them to carry automatic and manual transmission versions of each model. They don't have the room. As he said, they can fit 50 motorcycles in that space. Looking at the showroom I understand what he is saying. This may be the reason so many dealers are bailing out.

I bought a factory manual and I will do as much of the service as I can myself. Other than that I guess it's Santa Rosa or Fresno, where we bought it.

·
Registered
753 Posts
We took our Slingshot to Livermore for the fuse block recall the Saturday before the last weekend.
Jim 29

According to T-19-01 - Battery Fuse Block Inspection / Chassis Fuse Relocation - 2015-2019 Polaris Slingshot Motorcycles - oemdtc

Polaris allotted dealers a 1/2 hr to complete the recall. Just wondering how long the dealer took to complete your fix. If you rather not share this, that's fine it's more of a curiosity since I'll be bringing mine to Elk Grove and wait until it's done. Wondering if there is a difference between the estimate and the actual.

Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just wondering how long the dealer took to complete your fix.
Not sure how long it took. We walked down the street a couple of blocks and had a fast food lunch. When we got back it was waiting for us. We were probably gone about 45 minutes, so it probably did only take a half-hour.

I haven't looked at what they did yet. I'm hoping to have time to check it in the next few days. They also left the Battery Tender pigtail hanging further out of the panel than I like.

I don't know what I'm going to do in the future if I have to go to a dealer. It looks like I have a choice between Elk Grove and Fresno. I'm pretty much right in between the two, maybe a little closer to Fresno. We bought it in Fresno, but, then again, we both have family in the Sacramento area. The drive to Sacramento might be a little better than the windy, tractor-trailer filled Highway 152.

I hope there is not another recall before I figure this out.

Ride safe,
Jim

·
Registered
753 Posts
Thanks Jim, now that I have all the instructions for fixing it I'm thinking maybe I should just fix it myself. I'm debating should I make a four hour round-trip to spend 30 minutes getting it fixed at Elk Grove, spend 30 minutes and a few bucks on parts and fix it myself, or wait until I have a reason to go to Sac and combine the trip? Wish I knew what causes the melt . When I got the rear camera melt notice I just removed the camera until I got around to going to Livermore for the repair. All Livermore had to do was plug in the new one.

Anyway, I won't be doing anything soon. In the 20's today.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I will try and take the battery cover off and take some photos of what they did today ... when it warms up a bit.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi all,
Sorry for the delay, work suddenly got very busy and I ran out of time. I did manage to get the time today and was a bit surprised by what I found when I took the cover off. The ground connection to for the Battery Tender pigtail was disconnected and just hanging lose. Which explains why the green light on the pigtail was not illuminating.

Linda suggested that it might have been connected to panel mounting bolt. A valid observation, however, the connector was dirty and did not look like it had been connected to anything when I left the shop. Also, if it was connected to the panel bolt it would not be a very good ground and I see no marks indicating it had been connected there.

The best ground would be the main chassis ground and that is where I put it (after cleaning the connector, of course). Now the green light on the pigtail works.

Here are the photos of the recall work. It looks like they just moved the fuse and mounting hardware around and maybe put in a different fuse, I don't remember exactly what it looked like before. I should have taken photos before the work.

Hope these help.

Ride safe,
Jim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts