Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed this, haven't contacted TricLED yet. I have the eyebrow and spoiler Bladez with the blinker option modules. Been using them for about 2 years now, works great, love the looks I get having the whole front end lit up.

I recently got the front turn signal adapter harness from TricLED. Wasn't happy with the way I had put the wiring together originally, kind of messy, so used the adapter harness to clean it all up. As I go thru the wiring, I always check to make sure everything works, that I haven't 'broken' anything. This is when I noticed something.

With the key on, everything works perfect. LEDs work like they are supposed to, hazards work fine. If you turn the key off, the hazards blink once real fast when turned on, then nothing. All lights fail, original blinkers and the Bladez LEDs, front and rear. No hazards with the key off. After a bit of investigating, it turns out that as soon as you connect the blinker option modules, the hazards fail with the key off. Turn the key on, everything is ok. I disconnected the blinker modules (and Bladez LEDs) from one side. The side that is disconnected works normally with the hazards with the key off, the other side with the blinker module does not work, doesn't matter if the LEDs are connected or not, just connecting the blinker module is enough to make it fail.

So, has anyone else seen this behavior?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tric LED is send me a wiring mod to fix this. Kudos!

·
Registered
380 Posts
What was their fix? I had the same issue and ended up running a relay to disconnect the grounding wire when they are off.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What was their fix? I had the same issue and ended up running a relay to disconnect the grounding wire when they are off.
I'll let you know when I get it.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They provided a wiring harness that taps off the back of the hazard switch, and runs up to the blinker module(s). Not sure yet if the LEDs are being bypassed (no LEDs while 4-way on key off) or just a new power source introduced. Also appears to be some small modules in-line in the new harness, my guess is diodes to prevent back feed.

It was free for the asking, so if anyone else has this issue, give TricLED a call.

It might take me a few days to install it. I'll post back on the results.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, finally got to install the new wiring harness given to me by TricLED. The instructions were a little confusing until I realized they 'omitted' a couple of steps and important items. Would have been a LOT easier if they had included a before/after wiring schematic.

I did get the driver's side wired and tested, and it performs as advertised: The hazard lights flash without the key being turned on, and all of the lights work, OEM turn signal as well as the bladez LEDs, upper and lower. Tomorrow I'll finish the passenger side, test, and button everything up.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: When I wired in the right side, the left worked and the right did not. Long story short, the wire they used may be ok for a single upper or lower bladez, but not both at the same time. The wire TricLED used was very thin and just couldn't carry the load, too much voltage drop. I ran a much heavier wire between the left and right sides, and it worked, all lights flash on hazards without the key.

HOWEVER, when I flipped the hazard switch, I got a raucous noise under the dashboard, similar to before the new wiring mod was installed. I surmised that if the wire was too thin for driving the right side, the wire to the hazard switch was too thin as well (same wire used in the entire harness). I replaced the wire from the hazard switch to the front lights with heavier gauge, and everything works perfectly. No noises, all lights work.

If you get this mod from TricLED and have both upper and lower bladez with the blinker modules, upgrade the wire between the switch and the lights, and from the left to right side.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Rider, 2 questions.

Would you mind sharing the steps that were left out of the instructions? I received my harness, but the install instructions are very vague and kind of confusing.

Second, what gauge wire did you go with after experiencing the second issue? I only want to do this once.

Thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed the tricLED lights last y
Update: When I wired in the right side, the left worked and the right did not. Long story short, the wire they used may be ok for a single upper or lower bladez, but not both at the same time. The wire TricLED used was very thin and just couldn't carry the load, too much voltage drop. I ran a much heavier wire between the left and right sides, and it worked, all lights flash on hazards without the key.

HOWEVER, when I flipped the hazard switch, I got a raucous noise under the dashboard, similar to before the new wiring mod was installed. I surmised that if the wire was too thin for driving the right side, the wire to the hazard switch was too thin as well (same wire used in the entire harness). I replaced the wire from the hazard switch to the front lights with heavier gauge, and everything works perfectly. No noises, all lights work.

If you get this mod from TricLED and have both upper and lower bladez with the blinker modules, upgrade the wire between the switch and the lights, and from the left to right side.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I
I installed the tricLED lights last y
installed the tricLED lights last year and had no problems.
Just got the Slingshot out for the first time this year and no headlights.
anybody run into this problem?
im assuming something with these hook ups may be the culprit but haven’t looked yet.
All the eyebrow lights and halo lights work fine.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Rider, 2 questions.

Would you mind sharing the steps that were left out of the instructions? I received my harness, but the install instructions are very vague and kind of confusing.

Second, what gauge wire did you go with after experiencing the second issue? I only want to do this once.

Thank you
That was a while ago, and don't recall off the top of my head what was left out of the instructions. If I get a chance, I'll see about reviewing it and see if it jogs my memory.
Same for the wire size. I'll have to look at the Sling.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts