Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Polaris has a Brembo brake kit available for 2020 Slingshots and up. I own a 2019 SL and am wondering why the Brembo kit would not work on a 2019 (or other older years)? Looking at the parts specs on my 2019 SL and comparing them to the 2020 SL ... they appear to use the same knuckle and hub, as well as the same size banjo bolt and other misc parts being the same. Outside of wheel clearance (I have aftermarket 20x9's on front) ... why would these not fit a 2019? I appreciate your thoughts.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Polaris has a Brembo brake kit available for 2020 Slingshots and up. I own a 2019 SL and am wondering why the Brembo kit would not work on a 2019 (or other older years)? Looking at the parts specs on my 2019 SL and comparing them to the 2020 SL ... they appear to use the same knuckle and hub, as well as the same size banjo bolt and other misc parts being the same. Outside of wheel clearance (I have aftermarket 20x9's on front) ... why would these not fit a 2019? I appreciate your thoughts.
DDMWorks - Enjoy Your Ride! Check with Dave on a big break kit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DDMWorks - Enjoy Your Ride! Check with Dave on a big break kit.
Thank you EJ for the reply. I think the DDM works Big Brake kit is awesome and I have been looking at them for over a year now! I have not had any braking/stopping concerns with the stock brakes (I did put on the master cylinder brace) ... so mostly looking for cosmetics to the Slingshot and increased stopping power being a bonus. I did reach out to Dave at DDM Works just now, and he was very helpful. He may have some options for me, so I am glad I called. Thank you.

As an update to the Brembo question on 2019's ... my local dealer said the response from Polaris was that they are not compatible as there was a change to the Stability Control Module in 2020. I have no idea how that would be a factor?

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Thank you EJ for the reply. I think the DDM works Big Brake kit is awesome and I have been looking at them for over a year now! I have not had any braking/stopping concerns with the stock brakes (I did put on the master cylinder brace) ... so mostly looking for cosmetics to the Slingshot and increased stopping power being a bonus. I did reach out to Dave at DDM Works just now, and he was very helpful. He may have some options for me, so I am glad I called. Thank you.

As an update to the Brembo question on 2019's ... my local dealer said the response from Polaris was that they are not compatible as there was a change to the Stability Control Module in 2020. I have no idea how that would be a factor?
I have the OEM system on my 2016 with 91,000+ miles and my tech tells me I good to go for a long time. I 'down shift' almost every time I slow down. I don't drive real aggressive, but I do push it a bit. Running the twisties in the Smokes some guys wonder is I have breaks cause they very seldom is the light come on. I just have fun.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have the OEM system on my 2016 with 91,000+ miles and my tech tells me I good to go for a long time. I 'down shift' almost every time I slow down. I don't drive real aggressive, but I do push it a bit. Running the twisties in the Smokes some guys wonder is I have breaks cause they very seldom is the light come on. I just have fun.
Yep. Same here. 93k and original brakes are in great shape. Never had an issue stopping even in tight situations. I too like the DDM wilwood brake upgrade but 3,500 is too much just for looks.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Yep. Same here. 93k and original brakes are in great shape. Never had an issue stopping even in tight situations. I too like the DDM wilwood brake upgrade but 3,500 is too much just for looks.
I've said it before.....mod money = gas money.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've said it before.....mod money = gas money.
Mr Ford,

Being that you have over 90k on your 2016, have you thought about upgrading? Or are you satisfied with your 2016? Have you done any mods that you would do again or wouldn’t do again? How far have you driven away from home? With that amount of mileage, I’m sure you have been far. Is the SS capable of going from Coast to Coast? I see them in town all the time but have never seen one on the Highway on what appeared to be a long distance trip. (Guess I don’t get out much). What are your thoughts on traveling in the rain if you get caught out in it? I’m sure no one plans on being out in the rain. Any other advice you have, I’m all ears!
Thanks.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have 93k on my 2015. No desire to upgrade. I did supercharge at 78k and put in the boss head unit, amp and ssv pods and speakers this past winter. If I did buy another first thing I would do is supercharge! So that would rule out the Polaris engine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have 93k on my 2015. No desire to upgrade. I did supercharge at 78k and put in the boss head unit, amp and ssv pods and speakers this past winter. If I did buy another first thing I would do is supercharge! So that would rule out the Polaris engine.
What increase do you think you got with supercharging? Is it about the quickness? Or is it about the overall power?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I took delivery 12/20/2015. First trip was SSITS in Maggey Valley, 1,100 miles. Took 2 days to get their but came back home just stopping for gas, 17hrs. My wife is not well so we just ride every day. We're retired. If she was healthy we would take many long trips. We rode 2 wheelers for 50 years putting several 100,000 miles on Goldwings.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I took delivery 12/20/2015. First trip was SSITS in Maggey Valley, 1,100 miles. Took 2 days to get their but came back home just stopping for gas, 17hrs. My wife is not well so we just ride every day. We're retired. If she was healthy we would take many long trips. We rode 2 wheelers for 50 years putting several 100,000 miles on Goldwings.
I hope Im not bothering you with the questions but just interested.

How does traveling on 2 wheels compare to 3. I have a touring bike that I never tour on! 4.5 hours is my max in 20 years and I attribute that to several things. My Wife doesn’t ride, friends are in clubs and I am not the club type, I am still employed full time and my youngest child is about to leave the nest soon. So for those reasons, been mainly close to home.
Also, if you could turn back the hands of time, would you have picked up a SS earlier in life?

·
Registered
194 Posts
My wife and I loved riding and touring on 2 wheels. That was the one activity we both enjoyed. We're both 74 now and after a few close calls on the 2 wheeler, I tho7ght it might time to give it up. Fortunately, the slingshot came along. Dealer called said he had a demo. Went down with wife and took it around the block. I went in and ordered one. Came out and wife said "you didn't buy that thing did you?". I said yes and she replied "I like riding the bike" . After riding season started here in Maine, we rpde the sling for a week and he didn't care about riding the bike any longer. Only put 500 mokes on the bike the next 2 years so we sold it. We enjoy riding in the sling because you still get the open air experience much like on a 2 wheeler but you sit side by side. We have never missed the 2 wheeler.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My wife and I loved riding and touring on 2 wheels. That was the one activity we both enjoyed. We're both 74 now and after a few close calls on the 2 wheeler, I tho7ght it might time to give it up. Fortunately, the slingshot came along. Dealer called said he had a demo. Went down with wife and took it around the block. I went in and ordered one. Came out and wife said "you didn't buy that thing did you?". I said yes and she replied "I like riding the bike" . After riding season started here in Maine, we rpde the sling for a week and he didn't care about riding the bike any longer. Only put 500 mokes on the bike the next 2 years so we sold it. We enjoy riding in the sling because you still get the open air experience much like on a 2 wheeler but you sit side by side. We have never missed the 2 wheeler.
Thanks for the peek into your why. I like it.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Mr Ford,

Being that you have over 90k on your 2016, have you thought about upgrading? Or are you satisfied with your 2016? Have you done any mods that you would do again or wouldn’t do again? How far have you driven away from home? With that amount of mileage, I’m sure you have been far. Is the SS capable of going from Coast to Coast? I see them in town all the time but have never seen one on the Highway on what appeared to be a long distance trip. (Guess I don’t get out much). What are your thoughts on traveling in the rain if you get caught out in it? I’m sure no one plans on being out in the rain. Any other advice you have, I’m all ears!
Thanks.
Never been coast to coast, but my first outing was from La Porte, IN (near Chicago) to Houston, TX....in
Apr 2015...Could not buy them in Indiana or Texas. Two of us meet and road down to Houston for the 'Ride for Kids' supporting the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation. I have ridden out to Charleston, SC and home. If I buy another Slingshot it will probably be pre 2020. Like the 2.4 GM motor. Almost any car guy can work on it (I do always go to my dealer --- 120 miles one way --- for any service and oil changes) the guys at Neilsen's Ent in Lake Villa, IL take very good care of me. Rain/wet road ALWAYS turn off the traction control and ABS. You want control not some computer. NEVER in Slingshot or auto use cruse control on wet roads..... I don't like to ride in the rain and always have rain gear in the Slingshot. First 'mod' was a F4 windshield tinted 5+ (similar to what I had on my Gold Wings) and the second was a rear fender, 'rooster tail' coming in got you wetter that the rain coming down.

@Demboyzzz where are you located.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Never been coast to coast, but my first outing was from La Porte, IN (near Chicago) to Houston, TX....in
Apr 2015...Could not buy them in Indiana or Texas. Two of us meet and road down to Houston for the 'Ride for Kids' supporting the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation. I have ridden out to Charleston, SC and home. If I buy another Slingshot it will probably be pre 2020. Like the 2.4 GM motor. Almost any car guy can work on it (I do always go to my dealer --- 120 miles one way --- for any service and oil changes) the guys at Neilsen's Ent in Lake Villa, IL take very good care of me. Rain/wet road ALWAYS turn off the traction control and ABS. You want control not some computer. NEVER in Slingshot or auto use cruse control on wet roads..... I don't like to ride in the rain and always have rain gear in the Slingshot. First 'mod' was a F4 windshield tinted 5+ (similar to what I had on my Gold Wings) and the second was a rear fender, 'rooster tail' coming in got you wetter that the rain coming down.

@Demboyzzz where are you located.
Located in Charleston, SC

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Located in Charleston, SC
SSITS 2022 in Maggie Valley, NC This spring there will be most of the venders and about 500 Slingshots. If you come over you will have more questions when you leave than you had before you got there. (Can't remember, do you already have your Slingshot? If not come over and spend a day riding with me....unless some good looking red head comes up I'll have an open seat.)

·
Registered
35 Posts
SSITS 2022 in Maggie Valley, NC This spring there will be most of the venders and about 500 Slingshots. If you come over you will have more questions when you leave than you had before you got there. (Can't remember, do you already have your Slingshot? If not come over and spend a day riding with me....unless some good looking red head comes up I'll have an open seat.)
I ordered a 2022 the 2nd week of Feb. It is sitting at the dealership waiting on me to pick up. If the weather breaks this morning, I plan on picking it up today! Hoping it won’t be a rainy cold ride home but if not today, it will be brought home on Tuesday which appears to be another rainy day. I will pack my rain suit and helmet and rock n roll.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I ordered a 2022 the 2nd week of Feb. It is sitting at the dealership waiting on me to pick up. If the weather breaks this morning, I plan on picking it up today! Hoping it won’t be a rainy cold ride home but if not today, it will be brought home on Tuesday which appears to be another rainy day. I will pack my rain suit and helmet and rock n roll.
Hope you can make it to Maggie Valley.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts