Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opinions on the break in period? For all practical purposes we are to baby the SS for the first 500 miles. No full throttle starts, nothing over 70mph, etc. I've done it both ways, I've followed the the requirements perfectly and I've driven them like I stole them. 500 miles isn't much, I think I'll try to follow them this time. How about you guys?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Take it easy till I do the first oil change , no hitting the rev limiter till then . Car motor 2.4 light body ,you should be able to hit triple digit after 300 or 400 miles and play with it a bit .

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
I sure hope this "break-in" period isn't that important. Especially the nothing over 70 mph. I have to drive mine back home; it is about 200 miles. There are very few choices in roads for getting home and if I drive 70 mph and under in this thing, someone is going to run me over.

For those gearheads and dealers out there; how important is it to follow the break-in advice?
Scale of 1-10, with 10 being very important.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I googled different websites for automotive break in for the ecotec engine a while back and popular sites all differ on whats best. The two schools . 1. Slow and easy break in vs. 2. drive it hard to wear in the rings. I can not explain it as well as the different sites so just google it. but after reading many of them, I am under the impression that modern autos can be driven right from the show room. If babied then the rings never correctly wear in and for the rest of the autos life they don't ever improve. With the hard, varied break in some how the rings move enough to wear in and make a better seal/compression. Again search for yourself and then decide. After reading their explaination, I think I will not want to baby them. I however, do not want to red line right out of the show room floor either.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I sure hope this "break-in" period isn't that important. Especially the nothing over 70 mph. I have to drive mine back home; it is about 200 miles. There are very few choices in roads for getting home and if I drive 70 mph and under in this thing, someone is going to run me over.

For those gearheads and dealers out there; how important is it to follow the break-in advice?
I rate that as a - 5. Really my view is drive it fairly easy but get the tack up every 50 miles to seat the rings. Just an opinion. Oh ... And don't lug it or stay at constant speeds for very long.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I googled different websites for automotive break in for the ecotec engine a while back and popular sites all differ on whats best. The two schools . 1. Slow and easy break in vs. 2. drive it hard to wear in the rings. I can not explain it as well as the different sites so just google it. but after reading many of them, I am under the impression that modern autos can be driven right from the show room. If babied then the rings never correctly wear in and for the rest of the autos life they don't ever improve. With the hard, varied break in some how the rings move enough to wear in and make a better seal/compression. Again search for yourself and then decide. After reading their explaination, I think I will not want to baby them. I however, do not want to red line right out of the show room floor either.
Break in..... He** no. Im going to run the ever liven sh** out of this thing when I get it. Not really , I will fall somewhere in the middle , not real aggressive , but I wont baby it.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts

Here is what the manual says about the break-in period:
http://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/north-american-2015-slingshot-owners-manual.845/#post-14678

As a dealer giving you a 1-10 rating on importance, oh... I'd say 11. :D

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kip, if someone has a warranty issue in the first 500 miles is the dealers service dept. likely to check the ecu and deny warranty if they weren't following the proper break in?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Kip, if someone has a warranty issue in the first 500 miles is the dealers service dept. likely to check the ecu and deny warranty if they weren't following the proper break in?
No, we're going to treat it as a general warranty-able issue.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
So Kip what about my 520 mile trip home from the dealer when I pick mine up? Now I'm nervous!
Just tell everyone it was a 499 mile trip!
Otherwise, you should be fine.

Plus I imagine you will be taking a few breaks for coffee and facilities. ;)

·
Registered
792 Posts
At my age I do tend to take a few more breaks than in my 40's plus driving the SS for the first time may cause even more urgent needs!!!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts