Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Brake Failure Warning Light ( common problem / solution found )

117K views 393 replies 128 participants last post by  Mjsuper88 
#1 ·
180 miles in and the brake failure light came on.

Dealers's network connection was not working on their PC so they could not pull a code and diagnose but the brake fluid level is fine and the brakes are all functioning properly. They are going to open a ticket with Polaris.

Good thing is they found a coolant leak while they were looking at it so they changed the hose clamp to a worm drive to make sure it stays tight.

#260 ·
The last few times I have used my SS my brake failure light comes on. If I shut down and restart the light will go out. It sometimes happens after riding for a few miles. I believe it might be a sensor. The brake fluid level is correct and the brakes feel okay but It still is concerning when the light comes on. Any suggestions besides heading to the dealer on an intermittent problem because it does not do it every time I go for a ride.

#261 ·
Nope. Head to your dealer and have him replace the two switches. It's a common failure and bothersome as all heck seeing it on, but the brakes are working properly (not a guarantee that this is not the problem, but since lawyers troll these forums, I have to add this disclaimer)

#273 ·
Yep, had to replace my sensors twice. First fix lasted two weeks. Second fix seems to be holding. Dealer said Polaris said a bad batch of sensors escaped into the wild, and they apologized.

Am not so sure all what happens when the light comes on. No cruise for sure, but heard rear brake lights stay on, and it can't be good for abs and tc.

Was concerning enough for me to zoom back to the dealer 3 hours each way in single digit temps.

Strange to me that I was good for the 1st 10k miles.

Sent from my brain using an iPad

#271 ·
The Napa switch replaces the magnetic brake switch not the brake sensors. Ive had both replaced and working fine. I did use the Napa part for 6 months when my magnetic switch quit. Once I got back back to Florida for the winter Volusia motorsports hooked me up with a new magnetic switch.

#276 ·
Your brake sensors have to be changed. Not sure if the dealer will pick up the cost. I hated the light so I ordered and pair of switches and had them installed and the problem went away just like magic. It's a defictive part but polaris won't own up to it yet. Welcome to owning an incredible machine in the twilight zone. Lmao

#277 ·
Don't understand what's up with your dealers because this is a well know warranty problem that has occurred with many SS owners. As a matter of fact, after replacing the sensors they also installed a digital wrench update that accompanies this fix. Problem solved, no charge warranty item. BTW, for the dealer that said "don't worry about it"; you also loose your cruise control when the light comes on!

#286 · (Edited)
I never re-use brake line seals ..so IMO yes....

I wouldn't doubt that these switches are a common automotive part and can be had at much less than what Polaris charges... maybe even from a local auto parts store........ I will have a new set from Polaris in hand in the next day or so..... if you are not in any hurry I will see if they have any manufacturers information on them and post photos once they arrive.....

#289 ·
i have the dreaded brake failure light as well.. took it to the dealership today and they put it on the computer to read the codes..told me they have to research it and they will call me back. incredible.
Huh. Just noticed this. I understand you to be in WV. What dealer are you using?this should be a simple fix.

#297 ·
Brake failure light is two sensors. I know, because they did it twice.

Never had the traction control light, so I can't speak to that. Maybe that was the steering wheel. Anyway, you are back on the road. A good thing.

Fair to say you were happy with the dealer? A lot closer for me...

#298 ·
yeah, you are right..2 sensors..i think the steering wheel offset was causing my traction control light to come on..all is well now. Riding with that traction control light on is dangerous. Yeah Valley Cycle in Winchester is a good dealership..nice folks over there.

#299 ·
Riding with a brake failure light is not a good deal either. Sounds like you had a good visit to your dealer. Happy news.

Valley cycle? Taking notes. If only we were so lucky in the DC area. I have two dealers within a 30 minute ride. Very undesirable dealers. Bad people.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.