Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 391 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
180 miles in and the brake failure light came on.

Dealers's network connection was not working on their PC so they could not pull a code and diagnose but the brake fluid level is fine and the brakes are all functioning properly. They are going to open a ticket with Polaris.

Good thing is they found a coolant leak while they were looking at it so they changed the hose clamp to a worm drive to make sure it stays tight.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I picked my SS up on Saturday, and have already had a handful of issues. Of the issues, the most important is the Brake Failure! light being enabled. It has happened twice in 3 days, about 400 miles.

I was about 10 miles into my ride home when I first noticed the "belt/gear whine". Oh man...I hope there is a fix for that! It really takes away from the enjoyment of the sound of the engine.
I was about 220 miles in (Sunday) when I noticed the "Break Failure!" light had turned on. I had luckily been dropping my buddy off and immediately turned off the engine. I waited a minute, and after turning the SS back on, the light was no longer lit. Sadly, yesterday (Monday) at about 350 miles, the light came back on. Now, I don't know if this is simply a connection issue or not, because the brakes don't seem to be affected (though I can't say anything about the lights, since I couldn't see them).

I immediately noticed on my ride on home on Saturday that I couldn't get ANY channels (FM) on the radio until I was in a specific area. Even then, I could only get 1 station. I am "forced" to use just bluetooth at the moment.

I am at 400 miles, but don't feel particularly comfortable riding because of the brake failure light. I have called the dealer to set up the 500 mile service, and complained about the following:

1. Brake Failure! light has come on twice
  2. Belt/gear whine
  3. Infotainment center is not picking up channels
  4. RPM spiking
  5. Engine sputtering at low RPMs / sounds like stalling
  6. UPDATE - The passenger side of the hood does not latch
  7. UPDATE - The steering wheel is now set at 11:30 and is misaligned
My biggest problem, is that my dealer is 100 miles away. The dealer has indicated that I will likely need to leave my SS overnight. That's going to be difficult...

They have opened a ticket with Polaris and are "going to try" to get free towing AND a free first service for me. I will post this in its own thread...but I figured you guys might get some use out of my response as well.

Best regards,
Garrick

·
Registered
49 Posts
I picked my SS up on Saturday, and have already had a handful of issues. Of the issues, the most important is the Brake Failure! light being enabled. It has happened twice in 3 days, about 400 miles.

I was about 10 miles into my ride home when I first noticed the "belt/gear whine". Oh man...I hope there is a fix for that! It really takes away from the enjoyment of the sound of the engine.
I was about 220 miles in (Sunday) when I noticed the "Break Failure!" light had turned on. I had luckily been dropping my buddy off and immediately turned off the engine. I waited a minute, and after turning the SS back on, the light was no longer lit. Sadly, yesterday (Monday) at about 350 miles, the light came back on. Now, I don't know if this is simply a connection issue or not, because the brakes don't seem to be affected (though I can't say anything about the lights, since I couldn't see them).

I immediately noticed on my ride on home on Saturday that I couldn't get ANY channels (FM) on the radio until I was in a specific area. Even then, I could only get 1 station. I am "forced" to use just bluetooth at the moment.

I am at 400 miles, but don't feel particularly comfortable riding because of the brake failure light. I have called the dealer to set up the 500 mile service, and complained about the following:

2. Belt/gear whine
  4. RPM spiking
My biggest problem, is that my dealer is 100 miles away. The dealer has indicated that I will likely need to leave my SS overnight. That's going to be difficult...

They have opened a ticket with Polaris and are "going to try" to get free towing AND a free first service for me. I will post this in its own thread...but I figured you guys might get some use out of my response as well.

Best regards,
Garrick
This really sucks, especially for someone who has not yet purchased his SS. Kinda scarey...!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Several times my brake failure light came on. Dealer bled the system and fill the fluid. Tech said the fluid level was at min...Seems like that solve the problem.

Whine decreased for me (@ 600 miles)

Infotainment had decent reception when I bought it. Now auto tune won't pick up any station... may need to check all the connection.

RPM spike... no issue there

Sputtering... happens every now and then but not enough to actually stall the engine. I've heard aftermarket intakes solve that problem..

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts

2. Belt/gear whine
  4. RPM spiking

Best regards,
Garrick
Sorry to hear. Where are you located?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Several times my brake failure light came on. Dealer bled the system and fill the fluid. Tech said the fluid level was at min...Seems like that solve the problem.

Whine decreased for me (@ 600 miles)

Infotainment had decent reception when I bought it. Now auto tune won't pick up any station... may need to check all the connection.

RPM spike... no issue there

Sputtering... happens every now and then but not enough to actually stall the engine. I've heard aftermarket intakes solve that problem..
Thanks for that, infostrada748. Hopefully bleeding the system when they do the service will fix that issue. I also hope the whine does decrease as well.
I have heard that a LOT of people have had the RPM spike and sputter issue, and that it even gets bad enough to cause unwanted launches or stalls. Again, they are going to investigate this. Not sure about the infotainment center though...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Damn, I was just thinking I could give you a hand if you were closer.....Sorry man.
No worries Slingking. Thanks for the communal offer :)

Update - I called the dealer today. The service manager has been phenomenal working with me already. He said he called Polaris again yesterday to get an update on the case, but still got no answer. This morning he "reemed" them out for not responding. He has put more assurance forward that Polaris will likely pay to have the SS towed (100 miles...not easy) and also have the first service paid for. At this point, no real update from Polaris.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
^Has the recall work been done on yours yet? I thought the RPM spike issue was related to the clutch switch which is part of the recall.

·
Registered
47 Posts
^Has the recall work been done on yours yet? I thought the RPM spike issue was related to the clutch switch which is part of the recall.
The recall work for the steering rack? According to the dealer, that was taken care of prior to them selling it to me. I haven't heard that the clutch switch was related to the recall....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have the dealer unplug and replug every connector in the harness. That fixed my brake failure light and cruise control not working problem. Brake fluid levels were all good.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have the dealer unplug and replug every connector in the harness. That fixed my brake failure light and cruise control not working problem. Brake fluid levels were all good.
Thanks Butzi, I will inform the dealer to do that as well when they service my SS.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The recall work for the steering rack? According to the dealer, that was taken care of prior to them selling it to me. I haven't heard that the clutch switch was related to the recall....
Yes. The recall consisted of the new steering rack, inspection of the roll hoops (with replacement if necessary) and inspection of the clutch micro-switch and wiring.

·
Registered
47 Posts
UPDATE - My dealer didn't hear back from Polaris for two days, so yesterday he called them to explain the situation. Polaris' response was "Disconnect the battery cables and reconnect them". SERIOUSLY!? -.- Disappointed isn't even a word that scratches the surface there...
So Polaris declined to pay for towing to the dealer and also declined to compensate me with a free first service, or even discounted one at that. Essentially, Polaris is doing nothing with my SS.
My dealer tried to do everything to get me in on Saturday, but can't because they only do service for 4 hours, and they are short-handed (it seems like every dealer has a few techs "on vacation" right now...weird...). The manager has been very good thus far, and assures me I am his number one priority because I just bought this $25,000 toy that I am hesitant to drive at the moment. I have my hands tied, and now must burn a f***ing vacation day to take it to the dealer (100 miles away...) on Monday, so that he can have it all day to service and run diagnostics on.
If he discovers that there are replacement parts that I need that aren't in stock, he will facilitate it with a different dealer that is closer (which declined to service me any early than 3 weeks from now because I didn't buy it from them...). Otherwise, they will fix any problems they discover, perform my service, and hopefully send me on my way...

I am so disappointed right now...

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Bummer, but I thought those promises were too good to be true. Polaris is consistent if nothing else.

·
Registered
47 Posts
UPDATE* - I have updated the original post, but am placing an update here as well. I am now having two additional problems which are minor..but they are still problems:
  1. The passenger side of the hood does not latch, as the panel is misaligned
  2. The steering wheel now points to 11:30 when driving straight, as it is misaligned
This is really starting to get annoying. C'mon Polaris... I trusted you :'(

1 - 20 of 391 Posts