Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Brake Failure Light

13K views 46 replies 26 participants last post by  gamellott 
#1 ·
I read other posts on the brake failure warning light coming on.. Heading out for a rally and trailering the SS. Just going to drive it around the rally location.. Brake fluid is full; no leaks; full brake pedal; the brake failure light comes on after using the brakes. It drives normal and brakes normal. Is it safe to drive?

#3 ·
Tom, I checked with my dealer before going to SSITS and the tech talked with Polaris about it. I drove it right at 1500 miles on the trip with no issues other than the cruise control not working when the light was on. The cure for that was to put it in neutral and shut it off for a few seconds and then restart it if I wanted to use the cruise.

I also believe Hardy is correct.

#7 ·
its a freakin joke, been on mine for over 700 miles polaris has no cure for this, 2 many STUPID comments, turn this off, turn that off, that doesn't help when your driving 75 mph on the hwy with a steady brake failure light on and you can't use cruise control, polaris engineers get off your lazy asses and fix this, as well as the ball bearings!!!!!!! i am pissed!

#9 ·
I'll let you all know later this weekend. Mine is going in to have both the brake switches replaced for that same reason. Dealer said Polaris told them not to replace just one of the switches, but to do both at the same time. We'll see if that works, but it wouldn't surprise me to see contamination particles in the brake fluid inside the switches when they come out. JMHO

#15 ·
They did. Replaced both switches and no problem since. While I was there,I pointed out the black contaminated fluid (it uses the same brake fluid as the brake system). They drained the old fluid out and replaced it with new fluid and I left. Both systems are still working correctly. Sorry if I lead you down the wrong path there Stephen, Have a great week

#21 ·
Mine came on yesterday with 700 miles. I am not close to a dealer, checked brake fluid - I read all the comments - what else should be checked? Loose connections where? Does this ultimately have to go back to the dealer? It does go away if I pull over and restart but that's hardly a solution is it?

#23 ·
My brake failure light came on last Friday and took it to the dealership this past Monday. Today is Thursday with no call that switches have come in.. Screw it, I am still driving as my brakes work; just not very far. Polaris needs to get off their A _ _ and put their customers first.

#24 ·
I went to the dealer yesterday who replaced the brake switches and bled the lines. It was fine until I got around 10 miles from dealer and it came back on. I went back to dealer and they called Polaris. Polaris is sending them a different set of switches made by another company thinking it will solve the problem. Anyone have this problem where the switches were changed out and the brake failure light came back on? They also recommended that the 16 reflash be done which is fine with me since Bob can now do the 16 ECM tune.

#32 ·
This happened on mine today while I was about 80 miles from the dealership. I had not read these posts before so I had no idea what was happening. I pulled over and checked the brake fluid and all looked good. I tested the brakes in a parking lot and found they were good. I found the light only came on if I was using the brakes, not when on the open road. So I switched to the interstate to get home. No light at all until I came up on a traffic slow down. Once I got rolling again I chanced a restart while rolling. I got up to speed, shoved in the clutch, killed the engine then switched it back on. Let the clutch out to restart it and no light at all until I got home. I will be making an appointment tomorrow to have the switches swapped out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.