Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had it with having to double pump my brakes to get peddle, and I refuse to accept that it's my brake pads, or the fluid being compressed, like some on here believe.
I've got a vacuum bleeder and I'm assuming you just start from the farthest wheel from the MC, as usual, and work your way up, but I was wondering if anyone knew any "tricks"?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yeah I have to double pump to get any resistance at all. After driving the sling for 2 weeks and getting back in my challenger it was a shock at the difference in breaking. I squealed to a halt backing out of my driveway.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I've had it with having to double pump my brakes to get peddle, and I refuse to accept that it's my brake pads, or the fluid being compressed, like some on here believe.
I've got a vacuum bleeder and I'm assuming you just start from the farthest wheel from the MC, as usual, and work your way up, but I was wondering if anyone knew any "tricks"?
Rear , passenger side then driver side. You will get a lot of air out of the rear! (Just sayin)

Loosen the reservoir caps and don't let fluid level get too low!

Reactions: Sitcom

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Kind of sick of this too. Problem is that I've bled my brakes three times (thanks @Painter) and they are good for awhile, then seem to get smushy again. Not sure what the deal is, I'm not losing any brake fluid, and I do have upgraded brake pads. @xtreme2424 had the best brakes I've seen yet in a Slingshot. What's the trick!?

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
@jookyone !!!!!!!! How are things going with your Sling?

The system is a 'closed hydraulic' and somewhere air is able to enter....that is the only explanation I can think of. My brakes have been great from day one but most every Slingshot that has been here needed bleeding. Maybe sharp turns are slosh in the resevoir fluid past the outlet? From new my fluid has been above the level line.

Maybe it has something to do with the antilock system? I just don't know.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
@Painter Going well, still haven't had the body work done, but it is driveable. Driveability is greatly improved due to the installation of a JonV turbo kit. Talk about badass, loving this thing. There's still well known shortcomings in the hardware that is affecting tuning, so looking forward to its full potential but right now, I can't keep my foot out of it. I plan on doing some more science at @Slingking s house in the hopefully near future.

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
@Painter Going well, still haven't had the body work done, but it is driveable. Driveability is greatly improved due to the installation of a JonV turbo kit. Talk about badass, loving this thing. There's still well known shortcomings in the hardware that is affecting tuning, so looking forward to its full potential but right now, I can't keep my foot out of it. I plan on doing some more science at @Slingking s house in the hopefully near future.
Can't wait. :cool::D I'm a fan of science.

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,162 Posts
Jook I think a trip to Bob in Cali would be the best bet going. Tune it to your bike rather than a generic tune.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Kind of sick of this too. Problem is that I've bled my brakes three times (thanks @Painter) and they are good for awhile, then seem to get smushy again. Not sure what the deal is, I'm not losing any brake fluid, and I do have upgraded brake pads. @xtreme2424 had the best brakes I've seen yet in a Slingshot. What's the trick!?
Have you took you calipers off and looked at the seal around the piston. Mine leaks and weeps fluid. When I switched to larger pads I found the leak.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Brand new 2016 SL three days ago, 470 miles so far. Brake pedal has to be pumped all the time. Going in for 500 mile service soon. hope bleeding is all it needs.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
3,666.6 miles.

OK, even though our brakes felt quite adequate, due to the advice here I just went out for grins and giggles and bled them, just in case. I found no air in the lines, no difference in the feel afterwards, and perfectly capable of engaging the anti-lock system when hammered?????

Bill

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
OK, even though our brakes felt quite adequate, due to the advice here I just went out for grins and giggles and bled them, just in case. I found no air in the lines, no difference in the feel afterwards, and perfectly capable of engaging the anti-lock system when hammered?????

Bill
You shouldn't be testing your brakes when you're hammered!!! :eek::p:confused::rolleyes::D

·
Registered
274 Posts
Being that I drive a Track pack Mustang with 6 piston Brembos and a Focus ST with killer brakes the Slingshot is just downright awful. I've bled and rebled and rebled again and while yes it is better it still sucks having 20% of the pedal down before anything starts to happen.

I've read here about people doing the double pump on the brakes and then getting the feel and responsive ness that we expect we should get, but that just sucks. I shouldn't have to pump my brakes to get them to respond. When I do the pedal feel is really good, there has to be a way to get that on the first touch of the brakes vs pumping them every time I want them. I drove Noels the other day with his big brake kit on and same thing, mushy pedal, lots of travel and then they start to work (and work quite well I might add).

Is it a Master Cyl replacement? More bleeding? something has to be putting that mush in there, and while I know a brace helps a little it doesn't take that mush out of the pedal, if it did they wouldn't get so solid when I pump them up. I get into my cars and practically break my neck trying to stomp the pedal like I do in the SS...

I'm a huge fan of good brakes and these have got to get better

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi I put the alpha brace on, changed the pads to hawk 5.0 and the brakes work great ! No mushy feeling, big, big difference and l drive the sling pretty hard. Of course bled the brakes. I have also did a track with it , no issues

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,162 Posts
They will never have the feel of your other 2 cars, but sounds like air or bad master cyl. to me there are 4 bleeders and the one by the master is overlooked by many.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The SS has a "Standard" brake system. No Brake Booster or other power assist system. There is no comparison to vehicles with power assist systems. These brakes act just like they should when compared to the older vehicles with "Standard" brakes. I did bleed my brakes and found some small air bubbles at the block near the brake cylinder. It helped firm up the pedal. I also installed the brake cylinder support. Having accomplished those things, I think these brakes are working as good as can be expected for a non boost assisted system. After a long drive in the SS, I do have to remember to go light on the brakes when I first climb into one of my other vehicles.....otherwise, I can expect to do a face plant into the steering wheel!!! Certainly not a deal breaker, and I have all the confidence in the world that these brakes will not fail me.

Reactions: EjFord
1 - 20 of 38 Posts