Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was doing bout 80 when this car wanted to race, in a rush I downshifted and missed a gear🤦🏼‍♂️
Loud grinding noice but I continue on highway just waiting. Radio loud and drove bout another 6miles with no problems. I turn down radio and hear a loud grinding/ whistling noise when I let off gas. Once I accelerate it goes away. Only happens when I let off gas? What did I do😕

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, you've done it. A better explanation would help. Speed when downshifted, gear from - to (presume 5th down to 4th or 3rd), and any vibrations.
Suspect you've mashed the angle drive gears and/or transmission gears. (Flat spotted, chipped, broke teeth.) The last possibility is you've damaged a bearing(s).
Put it on jacks and hand turn (in neutral) the back wheel. Forward and reverse - listen and feel shaft, belt, and wheel.

·
Super Moderator
2,906 Posts
He probably hit 1st instead of 3rd....

What happened is a great question. You might have chipped some gear teeth, over-spun a bearing, blown a few rivets out of the clutch plate and got them stuck somewhere they shouldn't be, stretched some seals, bent a connecting rod or valve in the engine, etc. Chances are it's as @Mudhawaii says and some gears are damaged, ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
That explanation makes sense. Haven’t done what you did on a Slingshot - at least not yet😊 but did something similar to that years ago while driving a “normal“ car using the same drivetrain (2.4 Eco Tech and Chevy transmission) and had to replace a bunch of the internals as really chopped up by my sloppy shifting. In any event it’s going to be expensive and not something you want to do unless you really know your way around a transmission. I’m sure you really didn’t want to hear that last observation but it is a true even though painful fact. David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts