Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not exactly a slingshot question but I know the boss audio brand is pretty popular with SS owners. Want to update my older jeep with a new radio, was looking at Boss Audio BV850ACP. It comes with a lot of features for the price but just wondering what the general opinion of Boss Audio products was?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am not a fan of any Boss head units. That Boss deck that Slingmods sells claims to be “weatherproof”. Well, they are about as weatherproof as a sponge. They don’t even have to get exposed to any direct water before the screen starts fogging up from the inside.

If Apple Carplay or Android Auto is a primary feature you are interested in, take a look at the Atoto F7. It runs a modified Linux platform so, no adding any other apps but, what is installed works perfect.

I have an F7 (10in screen) in my wife’s car, F7 Pro in another, and the F7 Extreme in another.

They all work great. I had actually replaced a Sony deck in my wife’s car and the Atoto sounds much better. Tying in steering wheel controls was easy. Added a backup camera. My only complaint is that the hands-free mic gives crappy audio. But, there is a built in mic on the screen that actually sounds better. So, don't even bother installing the mic in the package.

If you want more out of a deck such as built in GPS and the ability to stream Youtube and just about anything else, there are other Android based head units that are very good. I recommend 4gb ram, 64gb storage for a fast unit.

Edit: Forgot to add: The F7 standard is less than $150, the Extreme is just under $200. Both operate the same but, the extreme has "wireless" carplay and android auto, and a higher resolution on the screen.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not a fan of any Boss head units. That Boss deck that Slingmods sells claims to be “weatherproof”. Well, they are about as weatherproof as a sponge. They don’t even have to get exposed to any direct water before the screen starts fogging up from the inside.

If Apple Carplay or Android Auto is a primary feature you are interested in, take a look at the Atoto F7. It runs a modified Linux platform so, no adding any other apps but, what is installed works perfect.

I have an F7 (10in screen) in my wife’s car, F7 Pro in another, and the F7 Extreme in another.

They all work great. I had actually replaced a Sony deck in my wife’s car and the Atoto sounds much better. Tying in steering wheel controls was easy. Added a backup camera. My only complaint is that the hands-free mic gives crappy audio. But, there is a built in mic on the screen that actually sounds better. So, don't even bother installing the mic in the package.

If you want more out of a deck such as built in GPS and the ability to stream Youtube and just about anything else, there are other Android based head units that are very good. I recommend 4gb ram, 64gb storage for a fast unit.

Edit: Forgot to add: The F7 standard is less than $150, the Extreme is just under $200. Both operate the same but, the extreme has "wireless" carplay and android auto, and a higher resolution on the screen.
Thanks for the info! I don't think the waterproofing will apply since it's going in a Jeep. Mainly want to add handsfree, backup camera and carplay/android auto for maps and streaming. I will def check out your recommendation

·
Registered
311 Posts
I installed the bos from sm in my sling. Can't see in sunlight so I went with the atoto a6pf. Sound is far superior then the boss but still is not visible in direct sunlight. I've done allot of research and there is no head unit that can be seen in direct sunlight. In FACT GM just applied for a patent for a head unit that can be seen in direct sunlight. Will it ever hit the market? Maybe...

·
Registered
128 Posts
I installed the bos from sm in my sling. Can't see in sunlight so I went with the atoto a6pf. Sound is far superior then the boss but still is not visible in direct sunlight. I've done allot of research and there is no head unit that can be seen in direct sunlight. In FACT GM just applied for a patent for a head unit that can be seen in direct sunlight. Will it ever hit the market? Maybe...
Not sure if the Atoto A6 has a factory settings menu although, most every Android head unit does. Usually password protected with "3368" or something.
Check into it and see if there are some screen brightness / contrast settings.
My Dasaita head unit has such settings and I was able to increase contrast and saturation to a point that it was far better visible during the day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the Boss unit from Slingmods, and I think it can be seen as well as any in dash unit could in the direct sunlight. Get a share to go over it, and it’s not a problem. I’ve also had it in the rain more than once without any issues. The only problem I’ve ever had was when I accidentally hit it full force with a hose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts