Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Questions for those of you who have actually seen an SS.

1. Does anyone know what the body panels are actually made out of?
2. Does the color go all the way through the panel and if it does is it a metallic finish on the underside as well?
3. Do you think the interior panels are the same substance as the exterior?
4. Are fasteners visible from the exterior?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am reading the link now. I guess body panels are attached from the underside. Still need answers to the other questions to get a Headstart on my slingshot painting project.
This project will be no slouch ! I plan on taking this to the Sturgis rally in 2015. Won a show down there 2006 and it took two years to catch up on the orders that Poured in! Don't know how the hard-core bikers are going to take this RT but really don't care. It's certainly not a "cookie-cutter" !

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My guess is the panels are molded and then topcoated and cleared. That seems to be the only way to get an automotive type shine out of molded plastic panels.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I could post pictures of the progression but not the final product. That I do not want to reveal until Sturgis. But you will have to wait until February March and April because I will probably be riding it until then.
Already started clearing my schedule up a bit in order to make time. I'll treat the forum but the pictures won't go anywhere else.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Hey Painter, sorry if you posted it before but how about some details on that trike in your avatar. Looks pretty kick ass. I started a trike project myself but put it on the back burner when the SS came out.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It's the "V Rod" . This machine was supposed to go into production several years ago but never made it.
Talked to the builder out in Sturgis in 2012. Nice machine.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've ridden to Sturgis a couple of times but never during the Rally, I may have to make an exception this year.......:)
Better have some cash this year. 75th anniversary they are expecting 1 million bikes. We take 14 and rent a house. We have been doing so for several years and it's the only way to go!
Last I checked, hotel rooms were $550 a night! Yikes!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Better have some cash this year. 75th anniversary they are expecting 1 million bikes. We take 14 and rent a house. We have been doing so for several years and it's the only way to go!
Last I checked, hotel rooms were $550 a night! Yikes!
My guess is the panels are molded and then topcoated and cleared. That seems to be the only way to get an automotive type shine out of molded plastic panels.
Hi Painter, I've done some painting but just for myself and friends. I am pretty sure the Slingshot body material is the same stuff all motorcycle skin is made of today, as in Goldwing, Victory Vision etc., and it is the same base color all the way through.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Painter, I've done some painting but just for myself and friends. I am pretty sure the Slingshot body material is the same stuff all motorcycle skin is made of today, as in Goldwing, Victory Vision etc., and it is the same base color all the way through.
I think so too... If it were sitting in my driveway I could tell you for sure!!!

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
It's the "V Rod" . This machine was supposed to go into production several years ago but never made it.
Talked to the builder out in Sturgis in 2012. Nice machine.
I thought the V Rod was a HD motorcycle that kind of flopped, maybe that's what he made it out of? Pretty cool trike in any case.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought the V Rod was a HD motorcycle that kind of flopped, maybe that's what he made it out of? Pretty cool trike in any case.
That was the Penster. They have one in the museum at Mill walkie. I think they made three or four of them and they actually tilted

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am looking at these threads about paint issues and plastic pieces... If you just ordered a slingshot, do you think the newer made ones will have these issues?? I am curious if they are focusing on the complaints of those who own them as the original people who bought them can tell them what is wrong with their vehicle...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts