Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started looking into bluetooth communication kits for helmets since my REvo doesn't come with it built in.
I've never purchased or used them before so I would like some input on what I should be looking at.

What I *think* I want...

1. Voice activation (aren't they all?)
2. Ability to pair it with my phone for music
3. ?? Other stuff I'm probably not thinking of

Thanks for any insight.

-NDV

·
Registered
843 Posts
The Scala Rider G4 make a great job...if you listen music and the passenger want to talk to you the music stop and you can communicate...If nobody talk, the communication come in wait mode until someone talkin...you can receive phone call...its a good system!

But i don't think in the SS you will need it! I am pretty sure you can talk with the passenger without problem...for music(i go with SL) depend on what you want...but i bet just a bluetooth divice like this picture will do the job...i have it with the T-Rex and work enough to reveive shot call and listen music!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Scala Rider G4 make a great job...if you listen music and the passenger want to talk to you the music stop and you can communicate...If nobody talk, the communication come in wait mode until someone talkin...you can receive phone call...its a good system!

But i don't think in the SS you will need it! I am pretty sure you can talk with the passenger without problem...for music(i go with SL) depend on what you want...but i bet just a bluetooth divice like this picture will do the job...i have it with the T-Rex and work enough to reveive shot call and listen music!
Thanks for the response. No way am I going with an SL for the media center they include. If there were performance gains in the SL model I would think it over, but as it stands, no. I'll check this out though. And I'm looking for comms with fellow riders as well, not just passengers.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Thanks for the response. No way am I going with an SL for the media center they include. If there were performance gains in the SL model I would think it over, but as it stands, no. I'll check this out though. And I'm looking for comms with fellow riders as well, not just passengers.
Then go with Scala Rider G4...you have 1 miles distance to communicate!

·
Registered
95 Posts
We love our Sena Bluetooth units. I stream music from my bike to mine, plus have it connected to my phone for phone calls. My wife streams music from her phone. I can activate Siri on the iPhone with it to place calls. Really good bike-to-bike communications and decent range. We have the older SMH-10's. Their most recent model, the 20S, has built-in FM and can connect to 8 other units, including units other than Senas, plus they're supposed to have even greater range. They can be set up to be voice-activated, but we set ours up to be push button activated. Highly recommend them

·
Registered
768 Posts
Most of these communications systems also have some noise canceling software and it makes i quieter and cuts down on wind and background noise. I notice this when I ride alone and do not have the communicator on. It is quieter when I am riding and have it on and communicate with my wife.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I have had the Sena SMH-10s for about a year now and love them. very clear communication super long battery life and easy to use. Only downfall to them is the speakers arent very good for music. but still better then nothing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use the Scala Rider Pro2 and I can make clear calls at 70 MPH, The music side is not as clear so I also wear ear buds for my music coming from the stereo on my bike.

·
Registered
30 Posts
For the price of these headsets you'd think the kinks would be worked out. Should be great sound all around.

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
I just bought the Sena SMH 10s as well. The are great. They also have a kit that allows you to plug in earbuds or better aftermarket speakers.

The only issue is that music has no bass with the included speakers but if you go earbuds or aftermarket then you have no worries. You do have to buy the kit to do it but everyone says it's worth it and most other brands don't let you change out the speakers (you have to mod them in).

·
Registered
337 Posts
I got a pair of Bell Mag 9 Sena Rally helmets and dual Sena SMH10 coms. Unfortunately still no word on my Titanium SS. Can't wait to try it out.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I got a pair of Bell Mag 9 Sena Rally helmets and dual Sena SMH10 coms. Unfortunately still no word on my Titanium SS. Can't wait to try it out.
Just ordered 4 of those Bell Mag 9 Sena for the family. Great for Bluetooth and intercom communication, and they come in multiple colors. I got the red one to match the SL.
Also, I got a great price from Rick Case Honda in Davie, FL (btw, I'm from the Boston area). Scott Goldman is the parts rep there.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've used the Sena SMH10, I wouldn't recommend the SMH10r due to the following. SMH10 is a slightly bulky unit with an excellent jogger dial you can use even with gloves easily. The SMH10r is a slimline unit but the battery is separate and needs to also be mounted to the helmet, in other words the smh10r has 2 pieces to attach on the outside of the helmet. Battery time is decent, I would definitely take a charger with you if your planning a road trip past a few hours.

A year ago I found smh10 on ebay for 225 for the pair not sure if prices have come down.

SMH10 can be paired up to 3 others but requires a specific sequence of pairings with each to work. You can have it paired with 4 people total but talk is usually between 2 people. There is a way to set it up so everyone can talk, but it's been a little while and I forgot how to do it. Kind of a pain but can be done. The wind noise and such I don't think will be an issue since even on a racebike at the track, I use this to instruct others and it works great....

One thing I would do is take your helmet to a shop where they have intercom kits and lightly attach the speaker into the helmet, make sure it fits "comfortably". Any kind of "pushing" against the ear may be ok while trying it on, but an hour or two later down the road can become quite painfull. Different helmets obviously use different types and shapes/fits for padding.

On another note, I believe the SMH10 is supposedly waterproof, however mine wasn't working after a couple of months of ownership and getting caught in some rain. I had purchased mine on ebay so I took it as a loss. But I have seen others with no issues..... it may have just been my lucky day.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have the Sena SMH-10s and the driver-to-passenger intercom works good. Very lame for music though...speakers are junk, especially for the price.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Just ordered 4 of those Bell Mag 9 Sena for the family. Great for Bluetooth and intercom communication, and they come in multiple colors. I got the red one to match the SL.
Also, I got a great price from Rick Case Honda in Davie, FL (btw, I'm from the Boston area). Scott Goldman is the parts rep there.
I used to live in Brookline. Still waiting for my base SS here in Nor Cal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts