Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is version 1.0 of the doc I made after doing the install of the Alpha Turbo.

I will be updating it very soon as it's not near where I want it to end up but we have several members currently doing the turbo install asking for the doc so I figure something is better than nothing.

Please use the Alpha install docs as your primary high-level instructions and this as a "Here are things I found along the way that may help others out".

I will update this thread just as soon as I complete the doc.

Edit: And one thing I forgot to add that is not in the doc yet that confuses everybody: The factory EVAP solenoid sits behind your oil filler cap. It has a vacuum line that runs from the intake manifold to that solenoid. The solenoid is wired but is NOT used (at least on 49 state vehicles). We remove that vacuum line, plug the solenoid input side (but do not remove the solenoid or unplug it, - it talks to the ECM even though it's not used), and then run the vacuum to the BOV from that port. If that doesn't make sense please PM me until I can that to the doc and I will explain.

This little puppy is what I am talking about:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for writing this up, gonna have to read it. Spent all day cleaning and a few simple mods.

Both sides get plugged? My passenger side is plugged from the factory, driver's now vents to atmosphere.
You mean on the EVAP solenoid? If so, yes, From the factory the passenger side (what would go to the EVAP cannister if the SS had one) it's already plugged. I just plugged the drivers side because I don't like things that look unfinished and.... well, you know that. Advance Auto had an assortment of vacuum plugs for like $2.59.

It serves no purpose but I did talk to Henry and we both agree, leave it (the electrical connection) plugged in. Don't need it being unplugged and tripping fault codes to the ECM.

·
Super Moderator
2,894 Posts
Advance Auto had an assortment of vacuum plugs for like $2.59.
I agree, that might be a product best purchased in the real world. Online I get either a vacuum pump or plugs that go in the other end. Can't imagine how anyone needs those. Ads that pop up on websites now think I'm under endowed. Obamacare already sent me an official letter that pens enlargement is elective surgery and not covered. They changed my doctor again too. Hillary sent a flyer that if I vote for her she'll look into my problem. Trump said he's an even bigger dick, vote for him. I think that's the only thing he and Hillary agree on.

Sex-Wiki-Commons-800x600.png
Now both candidates are arguing over who can screw me more.

·
Registered
280 Posts
This is version 1.0 of the doc I made after doing the install of the Alpha Turbo.

I will be updating it very soon as it's not near where I want it to end up but we have several members currently doing the turbo install asking for the doc so I figure something is better than nothing.

Please use the Alpha install docs as your primary high-level instructions and this as a "Here are things I found along the way that may help others out".

I will update this thread just as soon as I complete the doc.

Edit: And one thing I forgot to add that is not in the doc yet that confuses everybody: The factory EVAP solenoid sits behind your oil filler cap. It has a vacuum line that runs from the intake manifold to that solenoid. The solenoid is wired but is NOT used (at least on 49 state vehicles). We remove that vacuum line, plug the solenoid input side (but do not remove the solenoid or unplug it, - it talks to the ECM even though it's not used), and then run the vacuum to the BOV from that port. If that doesn't make sense please PM me until I can that to the doc and I will explain.

This little puppy is what I am talking about:
Nice! Can't wait to read it. Doing install next weekend! =)) Thank you!

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Registered
280 Posts
Sweet. I bought the wideband boost controller below with failsafe to protect the engine. It apparently allows me to set a cutoff point so there is no boost creep. Is there any way that I can shut the turbo off so all the idiots at the car audio place as well as the dealership don't all go take it for a beat run?

AFI Boost Guage Wideband
SCG-1 Solenoid Boost Controller Gauge

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is the unit I am also looking at brother. Funny you mention valet mode - I have been wondering the same thing. When I got my steering angle sensor reset there were about 6 people in the shop drooling over it. I can imagine if I wasn't there.... Woohoo! Let's see what she'll do.

Consider drilling out your oil pan per iNewtons thread for an oil temp gauge BEFORE you put in the new oil pan.There is a threaded boss you can drill out for the oil temp probe but you need to do it before you install the new pan. Wish I would have known about this and done that before I did my install. Even if you just drill it out and then plug it for future use, it's done and you won't have to drop the pan again (like I will) to do it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
That is the unit I am also looking at brother. Funny you mention valet mode - I have been wondering the same thing. When I got my steering angle sensor reset there were about 6 people in the shop drooling over it. I can imagine if I wasn't there.... Woohoo! Let's see what she'll do.

Consider drilling out your oil pan per iNewtons thread for an oil temp gauge BEFORE you put in the new oil pan.There is a threaded boss you can drill out for the oil temp probe but you need to do it before you install the new pan. Wish I would have known about this and done that before I did my install. Even if you just drill it out and then plug it for future use, it's done and you won't have to drop the pan again (like I will) to do it.
I did see that on the notes you provided. Where do I get this temp probe and what other tools / hardware will I need to tell my mechanic to get?

·
Registered
280 Posts
And do I need to have an oil temp sensor? I was told air to fuel and boost are whats important. I'm not going to be racing on a track or anything.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And do I need to have an oil temp sensor? I was told air to fuel and boost are whats important. I'm not going to be racing on a track or anything.
Mandatory? No. Smart, yes. If you don't want to do it now I would recommend you drill out and plug the tap for the probe just in case you decide to do it later. Just my .02

Read this article by iNewton on the subject. It's a good read:

Gauge instalation tutorial (and parts list)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Mandatory? No. Smart, yes. If you don't want to do it now I would recommend you drill out and plug the tap for the probe just in case you decide to do it later. Just my .02

Read this article by iNewton on the subject. It's a good read:

Gauge instalation tutorial (and parts list)
I'm going to put the boost controller under the dash as it's not waterproof (unless you know of a waterproof housing). Will I be able to run the wires under my hood through the drivers kick panel? I have an aftermarket headunit in that I don't want to have to take back out.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm going to put the boost controller under the dash as it's not waterproof (unless you know of a waterproof housing). Will I be able to run the wires under my hood through the drivers kick panel? I have an aftermarket headunit in that I don't want to have to take back out.
I thought I read somewhere this gauge is marine grade (waterproof) but not positive. I have an email into their tech support and should have a reply tomorrow hopefully. As far as the wiring, I have not installed the gauge so can't advise there yet. iNewton's article has some pretty good pointers though.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm still going to install mine just under the dash so its safe.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I
I'm still going to install mine just under the dash so its safe.
Yeah, I'm trying to figure out what we can do to make them "safer". Can we silicone around the dial, the wire outlets, that kind of thing.

I could have sworn I read about a marine grade AFR/Boost/Failsafe gauge here but I cannot find that thread (yet). I am sending an email to tech support at both Innovate (SCG) and AEM to see what recommendations they have. I know there are turbocharged boats and PWC out there so there has got to be a solution. Hell, how many times do PWC get flipped upside down or completely drenched with water? Like all the time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts