Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I checked out the two models at the Indian dealership located on Beach Street in Daytona yesterday and was left with a couple concerns.

First and foremost, I got somewhat conflicting stories from the two dealer reps and the one guy with an SS shirt on. All three told me that they just started actual production of the non-prototype models in the past week or two. Each told me slightly different delivery times, but it seemed to be sometime in November. I was completely astounded that they would have just started production in the past week. Maybe more BS in place of an SS? A couple of the guys also stated that Polaris wants to get the accessories to the dealers first, then the actual SS will arrive.

Another couple problems, I was told, come from numerous people touching and messing with the vehicle. The lever that locks the tilt steering was broken on one model and just hung there, useless. As this was broken, so was the lock on the tilt, so the wheel simply moved up and down at will. When I tried to adjust the steering in the SL model they had on hand, it was simple to disengage the lock, but quite difficult to re-engage it and actually lock the column back in position. The second problem that was obvious was the hood and its opening mechanism. It appears as though when you open the hood, you have to lift up AND forward, and this had not been done correctly, so it would stick on one side and had a sign that said not to close the hood at all. Again, both of these problems were written off as too much abuse by inexperienced onlookers, but it's something to keep in mind when you get yours in hand.

I was, however, very delighted with how vibrant the red looks in person. Someone else mentioned it in a thread, but the pictures just don't do it justice, at all. It's beautiful in real life.

I also took some pictures of the underside as requested (hoping that was a serious request). They aren't great, but I did my best among the hordes of spectators crowding around the SS.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
The hood is easy to open, but yes, you have to get used to doing it. Someone inexperienced could easily mess it up.
It tilts up then rocks forward, but the intention of people is just to yank it forward at full force. It's much easier with two people, but do-able with just one.

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
The hood is easy to open, but yes, you have to get used to doing it. Someone inexperienced could easily mess it up.
It tilts up then rocks forward, but the intention of people is just to yank it forward at full force. It's much easier with two people, but do-able with just one.

Like a 91 BMW 525i?

Sent using my fat thumbs via Taptalk App.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
So I checked out the two models at the Indian dealership located on Beach Street in Daytona yesterday and was left with a couple concerns.

First and foremost, I got somewhat conflicting stories from the two dealer reps and the one guy with an SS shirt on. All three told me that they just started actual production of the non-prototype models in the past week or two. Each told me slightly different delivery times, but it seemed to be sometime in November. I was completely astounded that they would have just started production in the past week. Maybe more BS in place of an SS? A couple of the guys also stated that Polaris wants to get the accessories to the dealers first, then the actual SS will arrive.

Another couple problems, I was told, come from numerous people touching and messing with the vehicle. The lever that locks the tilt steering was broken on one model and just hung there, useless. As this was broken, so was the lock on the tilt, so the wheel simply moved up and down at will. When I tried to adjust the steering in the SL model they had on hand, it was simple to disengage the lock, but quite difficult to re-engage it and actually lock the column back in position. The second problem that was obvious was the hood and its opening mechanism. It appears as though when you open the hood, you have to lift up AND forward, and this had not been done correctly, so it would stick on one side and had a sign that said not to close the hood at all. Again, both of these problems were written off as too much abuse by inexperienced onlookers, but it's something to keep in mind when you get yours in hand.

I was, however, very delighted with how vibrant the red looks in person. Someone else mentioned it in a thread, but the pictures just don't do it justice, at all. It's beautiful in real life.

I also took some pictures of the underside as requested (hoping that was a serious request). They aren't great, but I did my best among the hordes of spectators crowding around the SS.
I would say the production information is a little BS. But what do I know.... Judging by the below picture that was taken 2 weeks ago, I would say they have produced quite a few.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Thanks for sharing. My dealer just informed me yesterday of a mid-Nov delivery date. This would coincide with your report.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Like a 91 BMW 525i?

Sent using my fat thumbs via Taptalk App.
I've never opened the hood of one... Wait, really? It does?!

As for production, we know people who have gone to the plants to see them on the assembly line before the production announcement last week or two ago.
I think that's shaky information there. At the dealer meeting this year they were touring the new addition to their plants for the SS production anyway. I think they've been prepared to make these at least since the unveiling.

·
Registered
796 Posts
When i talked to one of the guys at Haydays he said they had 450 production units made as of the weekend of Haydays, and that they didn't expect as much interest as they got on the SS. Wouldn't surprise me if its one of those situations that demand is greater that supply

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I figured the guys were full of something other than correct information. Especially given the photo TravAZ posted up there. Sure did feel great to sit in it though! Now it's back to the waiting game.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Time to put a hood shock on each side so it will not be challenging to open and also a hood lock for security purpose.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Rumor mill is at full throttle.
I hope you mean that figuratively... <_<
;)

Time to put a hood shock on each side so it will not be challenging to open and also a hood lock for security purpose.
Both of those would be a welcome upgrade. I know a few things about the locking mechanisms on the SS...

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Where are those 450 units today? In that warehouse in Minnesota that does not have an address that no one can photograph? If Polaris has 450 units just sitting around somewhere please ship them to the dealers. We are getting down to the wire and all the BS is coming out.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts