Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,817 Posts
For the SL wheel I have had a 285 on the rear. I know there is one person that has put a 305 Nitto on it but most of the tire guys I know will not touch anything over 285 because it's possible to roll the tire off the wheel if you push it too hard.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Here's a general chart for tire size vs tire width - https://www.budnik.com/helpful-tire-info. The safest thing to do is check the tire manufacturer's website for the recommended wheel widths for a given tire size. This will ensure compliance with the tire manufacturer's specs and protect any warranty offered.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For the SL wheel I have had a 285 on the rear. I know there is one person that has put a 305 Nitto on it but most of the tire guys I know will not touch anything over 285 because it's possible to roll the tire off the wheel if you push it too hard.
Which brand and tire size? 285/?/?

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,817 Posts
I have had both the Firestone Wide Oval Indy 500 and I had Nanking NS-II's Surprsingingly the Nanking was a better tire. Amazing traction once it warmed up. Under 45 degrees it rode pretty hard though.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I ran a Nankang (www.nankangusa.com) NS-20 275/35R18 (mildly asymmetric) on my stock base rear wheel a couple years ago and found it to be a very inexpensive tire with decent traction. The only bad thing I read about them was one reviewer complained about the NS-20 having a soft sidewall which seemed to come with some sideways flexing during minor steering wheel adjustments in normal driving, but I never noticed any handling problems when trying high-speed lane changes going from the right lane to the left and back quickly. It's successor, the NS-25, is a mildly asymmetrical tire offered in 400AAA, 500AA and 400AA UTQG ratings depending on the specific model purchased. The NS-25 in 275/30, 275/35 or 275/40 sizes is listed as fitting on a 9" wide wheel, making probably the least expensive wide performance tire to fit on the SL rear wheel.
Nankang also offers the NS-2R tire in both track (120 UTQG) or street (180 UTQG), but 265/35ZR18 is the largest size listed on their website. I found the 265/35ZR18 120AAA UTQG for $123, making it probably the least expensive Extreme performance tire available for the Base Slingshot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts