Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With just 3 miles on the odo. I wanted to get familiar with my SL delivered today, and found while sitting in drivers seat my left leg could lean against the speaker housing…..but it moved? Was it rubber mounted perhaps? No, as I checked the passenger side and it was rigid. Upon further inspection with a flashlight I saw that the forward plastic mounting tab was already broken!! I am guessing that people entering and exiting my SS while in dealer showroom, was the cause for the broken speaker tab that is part of the whole housing. Looks to be very poor design, and just a heads up to others to take caution while entering and exiting, NOT to hit or apply pressure to the speaker housings……. I have notified dealer as they will have to replace NO CHARGE.

·
Registered
513 Posts
My passenger side speaker box only had one screw on it (completely missing 2). Got the replacement screw but the front tab (one you described) did not align up with the hole. I had to enlarge the hole on the speaker box in order for me to make it work. I'm hoping the technician (I'm using this term loosely) forced the screw in and broke the tab... just may be..

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
That's a total bummer to hear you guys are having these issues.

I noticed the possible abuse and breakage problems on a couple of demos at SEMA and was glad that I decided to get the base model and tackle the stereo myself.

Hopefully they get this issues fixed up quickly for you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am scheduled to take my SL to JL Audio in Fla this spring and have them design a Slam Pak system for it. Much like they did for the CAN-AM Spyder. Hopyfully it would be available for retail by mid summer. Maybe with their new HX series of micro amps...

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
OK. Here is the deal. I installed my infotainment myself. The speakers are a b!itch to put in. It looked so simple. I did everything else in the kit and thought the speakers would be a piece of cake. OH NOOOOOO.... they suck to install. The screws kinda have to go in a specific way in order to hit the holes in the frame. Also the back screw next to the seat has to be removed and used to hold the speaker. If you tighten to much it could snap the plastic retaining tab on the speaker. It took me about 45 minutes to install both. Mainly because I wanted to put the two bolts in toward the firewall first. It just never worked that way for me. once I got the back bolt in I got the front two fairly easily. I can also see that an electric or pneumatic drill would pop the tabs off.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
I am scheduled to take my SL to JL Audio in Fla this spring and have them design a Slam Pak system for it. Much like they did for the CAN-AM Spyder. Hopyfully it would be available for retail by mid summer. Maybe with their new HX series of micro amps...
I am putting all the JL gear in mine in a couple weekends from now. I have all the speakers for the front pods and two marine JL subs for the back. I also am running marine grade JL amps for my subs and my highs. I bought a JL cleansweep before I bought the SL. Big mistake. Its a full frequency output to both speakers. Looks like the speakers have crossovers on them.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
OK. Here is the deal. I installed my infotainment myself. The speakers are a b!itch to put in. It looked so simple. I did everything else in the kit and thought the speakers would be a piece of cake. OH NOOOOOO.... they suck to install. The screws kinda have to go in a specific way in order to hit the holes in the frame. Also the back screw next to the seat has to be removed and used to hold the speaker. If you tighten to much it could snap the plastic retaining tab on the speaker. It took me about 45 minutes to install both. Mainly because I wanted to put the two bolts in toward the firewall first. It just never worked that way for me. once I got the back bolt in I got the front two fairly easily. I can also see that an electric or pneumatic drill would pop the tabs off.
Rabtech - How does the depth clearance look on these pods for installing deeper/nicer speakers? Would you advice be to order the pods or ditch them completely and start from scratch?

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Rabtech - How does the depth clearance look on these pods for installing deeper/nicer speakers? Would you advice be to order the pods or ditch them completely and start from scratch?
I don't know yet. I haven't de-gutted them. I will soon. I hope they have enough depth to hold the JL speakers I am replacing them with. If you can order just the pods for a good price it would be worth it. They fit around the frame nicely.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts