Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best windshield for the money, tinted or not tinted, adjustable or not adjustable? I have a SLR 2019 with a stock tinted windshield.

·
Registered
90 Posts
That is really the wrong question to ask. You have a stock tinted shied and are looking to replace it; why? Is it too short, too tall? Don't like the look of it?

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,844 Posts
In my opinion after owning 5 different windshields, my vote is going to be the NASCAR tall boy from All Things Slingshot. It aerodynamically fits the slingshot better than others, it blocks a lot of wind without stopping all ventilation. It keeps the buffeting down to a minimum. If you want a taller windshield, you can change out the Tallboy with the +2 by leaving the base and unscrewing the windshield bolts. You can also get custom sizes and the cost isn't terrible.

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm looking to get something taller and maybe look through it since I'm 5 ft 8inches tall.
Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Based on @Br4hm4's recommendation, I now use the NASCAR Tallboy Plus 2 windshield. Given your height, the standard Tallboy should be tall enough for you and will save you a little over the cost of the Plus 2. The Plus 2 comes to within about 1.5" of the front crossbar of my TD Top and greatly reduces wind buffeting while still allowing some airflow into the cockpit. I am able to wear a baseball cap w/o much concern about it getting blown off my head, something that has been an occasional problem with the other 2 windshields I've used. I originally had a Polaris Blade windshield on my 2015 Slingshot, but the wind buffeting coming over the top of the windshield was terrible. I replaced the Blade windshield with a MadStad 13" Single Adjustable windshield which is also a great windshield with adjustable height to allow you to control airflow over and under the windshield. The only reason I switched o the NASCAR Tallboy Plus 2 was I was concerned about rain coming under the MadStad windshield and possibly damaging my Innovate SCG-1 AFR Boost gauge. One possible drawback to my NASCAR Tallboy Plus 2 is the fit of the base. I ended up drilling new mounting holes so I could position the windshield as far back as possible to give me a little more clearance room to adjust the windshield base vs hood clearance. The corners of the Tallboy windshield may vibrate when used w/o a Top. I've operated mine both with and w/o a Top and no longer even notice any vibration.
Before I bought my Slingshot, I had the opportunity to ride in a Slingshot with an F4 +3 windshield and I realized I needed a taller windshield so that the top of the windshield doesn't sit in my line-of-sight. MadStad.com offers a sizing chart to better match your height with the size windshield they recommend. I believe you can contact F4Customs about sizing. It's certainly cheaper to try and get a ride from someone who has the windshield and size you're interested in that buying a windshield and then realizing you don't like it! The MadStad Single Adjustable windshield is sold by MadStad.com and I believe it is also sold thru TwistDynamics.com as a TD product. Bot the MadSTad/TD and F4Customs windshields appear to be a little thicker than the Tallboy windshield.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I'm looking to get something taller and maybe look through it since I'm 5 ft 8inches tall.
Thanks for your reply.
This is our experience looking through a windshield where this is just a foggy morning:

Bill

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Growing up, my Dad would often stick his head out the window when driving in fog, so I learned to do the same thing. Still do. It's really easy in the Slingshot since I'm already sitting pretty close to the edge of the windshield.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Between me and my buddy we've put just about all the windshields on. We always acome back to the F4 windshields. I had the same windshield on 3 slingshots for over 3yrs and it still looks perfect. They fit better than the Nascar in my opinion, don't scratch, easy to clean and optically look perfect. I've had so many rocks hit that thing and not even a mark on it. You can get clear, tinted, +3, +5, +7 sizes as well. I'm also 5'8 and I use the +5. Keeps enough wind out I can smoke a cigar while driving yet enough to keep you comfortable. It also looks better with most tops. The customer service and quality are awesome as well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
This is our experience looking through a windshield where this is just a foggy morning:

View attachment 184891

Bill
Try using Rain X for plastics. Another idea is there are wipers for ATVs, I've not seen anyone install one on a Sling, seems like a good idea though. If you have a auxiliary fuse box, then it should be a cinch to install.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Between me and my buddy we've put just about all the windshields on. We always acome back to the F4 windshields. I had the same windshield on 3 slingshots for over 3yrs and it still looks perfect. They fit better than the Nascar in my opinion, don't scratch, easy to clean and optically look perfect. I've had so many rocks hit that thing and not even a mark on it. You can get clear, tinted, +3, +5, +7 sizes as well. I'm also 5'8 and I use the +5. Keeps enough wind out I can smoke a cigar while driving yet enough to keep you comfortable. It also looks better with most tops. The customer service and quality are awesome as well.
@PhantomX has a point in that the F4Customs windshields have a scratch-resistant coating and their thickness reduces vibration. At the same time, one of the things I like about the NASCAR Tallboy is it is less upright than other windshields and the angle is more compatible with the common top frames and I feel it fits more with the lines of my TD Top. MY MadStad/TD Single Adjustable Windshield was much more upright, although part of its adjustability does allow it to tilt back a little. IIRC, a Slingshot owner with an F4 windshield felt it was scratch-resistant enough to install a single-blade windshield wiper on his. See - Wiper. Just as a side note, while the windshield wiper thread used a motorized wiper, I found this manual version - https://smile.amazon.com/Universal-Operated-Windshield-Polaris-Assembly/dp/B07RHF67X7/. Low cost and it might come in handy for occasional use, although with the distance between a typical driver and the lower area of most windshields, it might be best for drivers with gorilla length arms! 😁

·
Registered
28 Posts
Try using Rain X for plastics. Another idea is there are wipers for ATVs, I've not seen anyone install one on a Sling, seems like a good idea though. If you have a auxiliary fuse box, then it should be a cinch to install.
For many years I’ve used furniture polish on my windshield on my plane which are plastic. Really helps dispersing water droplets and prevents fogging up.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
For many years I’ve used furniture polish on my windshield on my plane which are plastic. Really helps dispersing water droplets and prevents fogging up.
Lemon Pledge was what was used on the windshield that I pictured above.

With the Madstad windshield, the air entering the passenger compartment underneath the the windshield helps with both turbulence and cooling, there is no need for additional "wings."

Bill

·
Registered
19 Posts
Like you say, USE the Rain X for plastics, not glass

1 - 20 of 30 Posts