Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I just picked up a 2016 SS yesterday. I am going to clean it up today and wash it. What would be the best engine cleaner to get? We live in FL. Looks like they may have taken it down to the beach several times lol. It runs great, so doesn't seem like there is any damage, just a little dirty. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Hey everyone, I just picked up a 2016 SS yesterday. I am going to clean it up today and wash it. What would be the best engine cleaner to get? We live in FL. Looks like they may have taken it down to the beach several times lol. It runs great, so doesn't seem like there is any damage, just a little dirty. Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the "World of Slingshot Insanity" Stop by your local auto parts store and ask the question. Lots of good products out there. 95,000+ miles and never cleaned mine. Do keep the out side looking clean and shinned.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the "World of Slingshot Insanity" Stop by your local auto parts store and ask the question. Lots of good products out there. 95,000+ miles and never cleaned mine. Do keep the out side looking clean and shinned.
Thanks Ej! I will stop by the store and ask them. Someone recommended Purple Power or Awesome Degreaser. Wasn't sure if those would work or not. But will definitely ask the parts store when I go over there.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Seven years and 35,000 miles there still is no need to use a de-greaser. Until just recently, where I did take a hose to the engine compartment for the first time after a particularly dusty ride, I previously have been just using compressed air to clean the engine compartment.

Bill

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a 16.6 with only 45K on the odometer and my OCD causes me to clean the engine compartment from time to time. Oil, grease or any other engine fluid is not a cause for my need to clean, it’s the normal road grime and the film buildup leftover from getting caught in the rain. I use a spray bottle with diluted Dawn detergent to wet the surfaces and another spray bottle of water to rinse. The Dawn is not an aggressive cleaner and I don’t “soak” the electronics. And about every other cleaning the hoses and other miscellaneous cables get cleaned and treated with a tire cleaner. I just like to open the hood and have the inside just as clean as the outside. Did I mention OCD….

·
Registered
3 Posts
I seldom clean an engine bay on anything, but recently took the Slinger to a local car museum drive in event for a "Coffee and Cars" event. When I opened the hood to show it off, I was mildly embarrassed when I noticed everyone else detailed their bay. I felt like the guy who's son wore dirty underwear to the doctor visit.

I use PurplePower for a lot of cleaning, but my engine bay has more road grim than actual oily residue, I will probably just spray it lightly around the edges with some diluted PurplePower and rinse then just wipe down the rest with a disposable paper towel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts