Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I look down the rear sprocket to the drive sprocket I notice my belt is not dead center of the drive sprocket. It rides to the inside of the drive sprocket. Anyone else? Thanks

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Mine is a bit more towards the outside of the sprocket, as long as it is not rubbing I think you are ok.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Adjusting the belt on custom-built bikes you get there same result. Usually when you are rolling forward the belt will track to the outside of the sprocket it and when you are backing up it will track to the inside. This means your belt is in alignment.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Eureka! I just found/purchased the exact same Belt Tension Gauge as shown/explained in the Service Mod 3-maintenance 2
video for personally checking the drive belt tension on the SS. Mfgr. is MotionPro @ MotionPro.com. MSRP ~ $25.00. Santa's
gift from the Commodore......

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I don't know much about belt tensioning. I read the Service Mod but I don;t have a tension gauge. Using a ruler it looks like it's about 1/2 inch when I push up on the belt. This would be taking all the slack out. Is this OK? The SS does whine and growl in the first three gears then quiets down after 40mph.
It appears the noise is not from the belt but from the angle drive. That noise will diminish after some time. The belt free play you have appears to be correct as long as it's measured when cold and not after a long ride.

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
DKF, how the heck are yeh? Haven't heard from you for a while, hope all is well, have a great Christmas

GRAY!:D
I am good Thanks! I've been on call at the hospital for the last 10 days but got some much needed sleep today!!! Wishing you and yours a very merry Christmas Sir!!!

P.s. RED!!!!

·
Registered
776 Posts
It appears the noise is not from the belt but from the angle drive. That noise will diminish after some time. The belt free play you have appears to be correct as long as it's measured when cold and not after a long ride.
If it is indeed from the angle drive , and not the belt. Then we can only hope the noise will lessen in time. But don't count on it !!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Tom.....using the 10lb. belt tension gauge I referenced, I believe from other posts, the measured difference
when reaching 10lbs pushing upward on the bottom belt should be between 1"and 1.25", but I'm not certain.
Perhaps others on the board can verify. Too much tension, according to my dealer mechanic, will result in
premature bearing failure in both drive units. There is a range allowed for best results.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts