Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 sl 9,500 miles on it has a very high pitch or squeal noise on acceleration it is so bad it can drive you crazy. The belt is riding to the out board side so I decided to adjust it. I raised it on the hoist pulled the covers off, noticed the seal on the angel drive pulley has seeped enough to attract dirt to areas around it. Checked fluid it is over full was not leaking 3,000 miles ago. So back to the belt tracking my belt tension is 3/4 of inch I loosened the pivot shaft nut turned pivot shaft clock wise 1/4 at a time spinning the wheel forward the belt would not move to the in board side. I kept turning the pivot shaft clock wise until it got tight, belt never did move to the in board side so I turned it counter clock wise until the shaft was loose and the threads where the nut goes was almost screwed out, belt never moved. So my question is, am I doing something wrong because the belt wont move on the pulley. The front pulley is running pretty much center.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I've never needed to adjust my belt, but have you seen SamOwens' YouTube video on adjusting the belt?

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I understand your frustration, been there and done that! I know the general idea of adjusting the belt, move the swing arm towards the driver's side, giving the belt apparent motion towards the outside. Move the swing arm towards the passenger side, giving the belt apparent motion towards the inside. But, I do not know exactly how the belt adjustment works, though it apparently is not as easy as loosening and turning nuts,bolts. My suggestion is to get a manual and do exactly as it says, in the order that it states, do not take any shortcuts. Check you conversations and you will find where you can go for a copy of the 2015 manual.

Bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2018 sl 9,500 miles on it has a very high pitch or squeal noise on acceleration it is so bad it can drive you crazy. The belt is riding to the out board side so I decided to adjust it. I raised it on the hoist pulled the covers off, noticed the seal on the angel drive pulley has seeped enough to attract dirt to areas around it. Checked fluid it is over full was not leaking 3,000 miles ago. So back to the belt tracking my belt tension is 3/4 of inch I loosened the pivot shaft nut turned pivot shaft clock wise 1/4 at a time spinning the wheel forward the belt would not move to the in board side. I kept turning the pivot shaft clock wise until it got tight, belt never did move to the in board side so I turned it counter clock wise until the shaft was loose and the threads where the nut goes was almost screwed out, belt never moved. So my question is, am I doing something wrong because the belt wont move on the pulley. The front pulley is running pretty much center.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks
I don’t have an answer about the belt stacking on the wrong side. However, I have had a squeal with the offending part the transmission tail shaft cover coming loose and rubbing on the driveshaft. I just blue loctited it and knocked it back on. A year later , still no worries. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have seen the video done what he said to do and it didn't move or adjust at all.
Thanks for your help (y)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don’t have an answer about the belt stacking on the wrong side. However, I have had a squeal with the offending part the transmission tail shaft cover coming loose and rubbing on the driveshaft. I just blue loctited it and knocked it back on. A year later , still no worries. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info. I have looked at all that too mine is all good. I used belt spray the dealer sold me it works for a short period of time then it is back to the noise. My belt has always tracked like it was suppose to till just recently. I followed the information from Polaris service manual for the 2015 and 18 procedure and nothing has worked
Thank you (y)

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I believe that I have just had a revelation! Up to now I have treated the adjusting of the swing arm as if it was on a threaded rod, meaning that when the rod was turned in one direction it meant a positive "screwing" movement of the swing arm in either direction) I believe I now understand that that this is not the case. What I was not understanding was the "seating of the bearing." Now I believe that I am realizing that the swing arm is on a smooth rod and one must "seat the bearing" against the swing arm so to"push" the swing arm on the rod. So the adjusting of the swing arm involves two things to happen, first to "loosen" the side in which one wants to move the swing arm towards, and then pushing the swing arm by "tightening" the other side. Is this correct? Those that may be more knowledgeable about this please chime in to correct me if I am misinformed?

Bill

·
Super Moderator
2,912 Posts
Correct, moving one side out or in [without changing the other side] will change the belt tension and where the belt rides (with possible unexpected results). Moving one side out and the other side in will adjust where the belt rides and keep the tension [relatively] the same.

On a level surface, check the belt tension and see where the belt is tracking to get an idea of what if anything needs adjustment.

I typically run the belt "loose" (but not so loose that the belt jumps teeth) as the factory specification seems hard on the bearing (opinion).

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
. Deleted to digest this statement: ...........moving one side out or in [without changing the other side] will change the belt tension and where the belt rides (with possible unexpected results)?
Bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hmmmm .... Okay so ... If you follow the service manual procedure to adjust the belt I'll go ahead and reserve a space at the local loony bin for you .. lol .... Don't get to concerned about where the belt is tracking .... It's supposed to favor the left side of the driven pulley per the manual ... Honestly I've been working on Slingshots ever since they came out in 2015 and I was lucky enough to have done over 60 of the swingarm replacement recalls on them .... Belt tracking will have no influence on noise etc ... As long as it's not coming into contact with the side of the pulley .. Also .. Never put belt dressing on a toothed drive belt ..... Now belt tension is really critical the spec is approx 30hrz +- 5 hrz .... You can tell if your close by jacking your vehicle so the rear tire is off the ground ... There is a feature (BUMP) on the top of your swingarm .. you should just be able to push the belt down to touch it ...... It's fairly critical that the tension is correct ... Too tight and it will whine on acceleration ... Too loose and it will whine on Decel ... Also it's a good idea to periodically clean your belt and pulleys with soap and water ... It's also very easy to do ... You;ll need to remove the rh frame cover and belt guard to do it .... Jack it up till the rear wheel is off the ground ... Remove the rear shock bolt from the mounting bracket on the swingarm .... Let the swingarm drop all the way down to the limit of it's travel .... The belt will slide right off easily .. clean it and reinstall .. Quite often that's all that needs to be done to correct strange crunching popping noises etc ... Any Slingshot dealer should be willing to walk out and check your belt tension with the sonic meter ... Takes about 20 seconds ... I do it every day .... If you're near us in FL stop by and I'll hook you up ....

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Hmmmm .... Okay so ... If you follow the service manual procedure to adjust the belt I'll go ahead and reserve a space at the local loony bin for you .. lol .... Don't get to concerned about where the belt is tracking .... It's supposed to favor the left side of the driven pulley per the manual ... Honestly I've been working on Slingshots ever since they came out in 2015 and I was lucky enough to have done over 60 of the swingarm replacement recalls on them .... Belt tracking will have no influence on noise etc ... As long as it's not coming into contact with the side of the pulley .. Also .. Never put belt dressing on a toothed drive belt ..... Now belt tension is really critical the spec is approx 30hrz +- 5 hrz .... You can tell if your close by jacking your vehicle so the rear tire is off the ground ... There is a feature (BUMP) on the top of your swingarm .. you should just be able to push the belt down to touch it ...... It's fairly critical that the tension is correct ... Too tight and it will whine on acceleration ... Too loose and it will whine on Decel ... Also it's a good idea to periodically clean your belt and pulleys with soap and water ... It's also very easy to do ... You;ll need to remove the rh frame cover and belt guard to do it .... Jack it up till the rear wheel is off the ground ... Remove the rear shock bolt from the mounting bracket on the swingarm .... Let the swingarm drop all the way down to the limit of it's travel .... The belt will slide right off easily .. clean it and reinstall .. Quite often that's all that needs to be done to correct strange crunching popping noises etc ... Any Slingshot dealer should be willing to walk out and check your belt tension with the sonic meter ... Takes about 20 seconds ... I do it every day .... If you're near us in FL stop by and I'll hook you up ....
What dealership are you with? Good info.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Something I wrote up a while back but neglected to post here:

I believe that I have just had a revelation! Up to now I have treated the adjusting of the swing arm as if it was on a threaded rod, meaning that when the rod was turned in one direction it meant a positive "screwing" movement in either direction of the swing arm, I believe I now understand that that this is not the case. What I was not understanding in he instructions of "seating of the bearing." Now I believe that I am realizing that the swing arm is on a smooth rod and one must "seat the bearing" against the swing arm so to"push" the swing arm on the rod. So the adjusting of the swing arm involves two things to happen, first to "loosen" the side in which one wants to move the swing arm towards, and then pushing the swing arm by "tightening" the other side. Is this correct? Those that may be more knowledgeable about this please chime in to correct me if I am still misinformed?
Bill
Also, I believe that the belt tends to travel towards the outside of the rear pulley under load, and that the looser the belt the more it tends to move. Our belt may whine a bit when it gets colder out, but as it warms, (and becomes tighter), it quiets down. Thus the reason I try to maintain the belt tension near to factory specifications.

Again, I am still learning.

Bill

1 - 14 of 14 Posts