Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I didnt see anyone else talking about this so I wanted to see if anyone has this issue/sound. We had a sunny day the other day and I decided to ride around my neighborhood without a helmat. I heard a squeek when first starting out in 1st then if I give it throttle I get a belt squeal that is not super loud but its making noise. I know this wasn't happening when I first got it because I drove it without a helmet for the first time. Its super cold out and I did hit a puddle or 3 so maybe that caused it? After doing the oil change today I checked the belt tension and I think its looser than it should be but I dont have the gauge yet. Anyway just wanted to know if anyone else hears this? I am not really concerned as I think its just the belt wearing in or maybe just a little loose so when it gets tension its making noise like wet shoes on a polished floor. I will be getting the gauge tomorrow and checking that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I experienced the same thing. Mine is more of a wine. Started after my first drive at 15 miles. Seems to get worse with another person in the passenger seat.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No sir but mine does make the whine like a supercharger. I am getting a faint belt squelch on acceleration like a wet alternator belt on a cold start. It's not super loud but with no helmet it's noticeable. I will see about mounting a Go Pro back there. It's not something I'm too worried about and if I drive for a while and heat up the belt it for the most part goes away. Weather is getting bad here so I don't know when I can investigate further. I'm going to get a belt tension tool and make any adjustments necessary.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I do not think mine is the belt. Almost like a hub bearing noise when it goes bad. First I thought it was the tranny, now I'm pretty shure it's from the transfer diff to the belt. It's a high pitch wine. Doesnt bother me, but when I have to take wife for sunny easy drives I'm shure some bitcin will come about!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Belts wine, gear boxes make noise, tires squeal. I believe all of this is normal. We're sitting in an open cockpit with all of this in very close proximity. There are a lot of working parts to push this motorcycle forward. Ever ride or hear a bike with an open primary? It's not a car!

Here's what works for me: if I had to push 2000#'s at that rate (yes 2000#'s; Weight of the SS, fuel, oil, fluids, my fat ass and my sweet wife) then I'd wine, make noise, squeal, and probably even fart!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
^Very interesting observation JTL. Doo launched a new four stroke sled last year and I bought one out of curiosity. The machine is so quiet that you hear things on a snowmobile that you have never heard before - track noise, suspension noise, birds chirping. These things have a lot of sledders wondering if something is wrong with the sled. In most all cases this is just noise that we are not used to.

Just take the muffler off the SS. That should solve the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It sounds like a driveshaft or propeller problem to me??? Since it sits under passenger side and adding a passenger changes the sound, it may be it just needs tweeked on

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I've owned Harley's, and currently an Indian. Belts can and will make noise. Don't obsess over it, just make certain its adjusted correctly and that it's clean, and whatever you do, don't ever put any dressing or other snake oil on it.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I've ridden a hayabusa for all my ridding life! I've been with friends that have Hondas and other bikes with belts instead of chains and they have all produced these similar sounds. Now I own an SS and im part of the "whining" family as us chain driven enthusiasts know them as! So its not unusual to me and as the belt wears it may get a little worse. This to me has been told that its an indicator to check or replace the belt when the time is needed. If it continually gets worse over a small period of time then it may be something to worry about but until you get up to around 40 or 50k miles you'll just get used to it

·
Registered
2 Posts
After taking the machine out a few times I'm actually getting used to the noise lol It seems to get louder when my hubby gear heads it lol I also listened to some peoples videos some seem to have the whining noise and some don't. All I know is I love the machine 110% it rocks my world!!! Can't wait for Spring!!!!!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Mine has had a little whine since I bought it, it's not loud....it is just there, and when you speed up the whine speeds up.....I attribute to belt, gear box...personally I LIKE it....sounds different then just a car.

·
Registered
2020 Slingshot Grand Touring Chan Chew Two
780 Posts
Some that drive on gravel and that dust causes the belt to really squeal! Wash it off and if it goes away that might be your problem!

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Mine has had a little whine since I bought it, it's not loud....it is just there, and when you speed up the whine speeds up.....I attribute to belt, gear box...personally I LIKE it....sounds different then just a car.
You're married, right Bro? You're sure the whining isn't coming from the passenger seat area?! :eek:;):p:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts