Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Slingshot Fam,

I'm experiencing major issues with my (still newish) 2019 Slingshot SLR, but at this point the worst issue is a high pitched whine from what I assume is the belt. This is NOT the common whine that people have that for some reason we all just accept as 'normal', it's entirely different. I'm including two videos so you can hear what I'm talking about. It only happens when I'm in 2nd+ gear and when the RPM's are passing 3-4k. Once I'm in 4th or 5th gear, ANY amount of throttle makes it scream.

I took it in to a dealer to have it looked at, and they took the whole assembly apart, "dressed the belt", and that fixed it.. for about 3 days. I was told if it happens again that I should clean the belt, use water on the exposed part, drive it forward a couple feet, clean it again, and that should fix it... unfortunately, that only makes it worse, ESPECIALLY after I wash the vehicle with any kind of soap - but even after several weeks of not being washed the sound is just as loud (if not worse).

I can't afford to keep taking it back to the shop every time this comes up. It requires both my wife and I to take off work and commit 3 or so hours to driving round trip in two vehicles. I've contacted Polaris and they just say to keep taking it to a dealer, have them open a case with them, which I've done, but no permanent solutions are ever offered - it's always just take it back, take it back. I've gone 4 times total.

I just can't drive this thing in public anymore. I teach at a large university, and it's an absolute embarrassment to drive it on campus as heads turn and grimace or laugh at the sound.

Anyone experience something similar? Any ideas what I should do? Polaris does't seem to take this seriously - I assume because it's still functional and not dangerous, but come on this can't be acceptable for a vehicle that is less than 6 months old (and started when it was about 3 months old).

The videos don't do the sound justice... when I say scream, I really mean it. It's louder than the engine, it's deafening in tunnels, and it's what you hear 100+ yards away when I'm coming towards you or driving away.

Thank you for any assistance

Videos:

- High gear, whine with any pressure on the gas

- Accelerating from 0, whine begins in 3rd gear

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yes, we had the same thing. Belt dressing helped for a few days, then...back to the squealing. I must have a better dealer than you. Took it in, they felt the belt was bad and opened a case with Polaris. One week later they got authorization to replace the belt. No more noise!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Dam, that is noisy. Would drive me insane. Other than hollering at dealer by phone to get with Polaris and do something, either new belt or new angle drive. I'd squirt the belt with a dry lube...if it helps, at least its easy to do.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
The first thing I would do is check to see if the belt is adjusted for specified tightness, it is sounding like ours when it becomes loose. You will need something like this: 1580359145748.png You can start by assuring that the belt is indeed adjusted correctly, then you may just have to use some trial and error to find your belts "sweet spot." If you require instructions and specifications message me with your email address.

Bill

·
Registered
265 Posts
I had this problem. The swing arm and angel drive were not probably aligned. Happened after the stupid swing arm recall. And the tension was way to tight. Solution was I went to a new dealer and within 2 hrs all fixed. Hope it helps. I definitely do not miss that noise.

·
2,326 Posts
Firstly Gates frowns on putting any "dressing" or lube of any kind on the belt .... doing so is also a no no in the Polaris manual .. it was just a way for the dealer to get you out of their shop because either they couldn't or didn't know how to fix the issue.

As mentioned above the belt tension and alignment needs checked ..... if all are OK the belt needs replaced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all so much for your recommendations! I'm going to print them out and share with the dealer to provide some ideas for them to consider.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Had the same issue on my 2018. If you check the manual, if the belt is to far to one side it gets a squeal on acceleration. If its to far to the other side, it squeals on deceleration. They tried adjusting the belt 1/4 turn at a time. No joy. Could not get rid of the noise.Ended up with new belt, new rear sprocket. And they found on disassembled that the rear bearing was scratched. So I got a new rear bearing. The result was like night and day. Runs quieter than when I got it new.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Slingshot Fam,

I'm experiencing major issues with my (still newish) 2019 Slingshot SLR, but at this point the worst issue is a high pitched whine from what I assume is the belt. This is NOT the common whine that people have that for some reason we all just accept as 'normal', it's entirely different. I'm including two videos so you can hear what I'm talking about. It only happens when I'm in 2nd+ gear and when the RPM's are passing 3-4k. Once I'm in 4th or 5th gear, ANY amount of throttle makes it scream.

I took it in to a dealer to have it looked at, and they took the whole assembly apart, "dressed the belt", and that fixed it.. for about 3 days. I was told if it happens again that I should clean the belt, use water on the exposed part, drive it forward a couple feet, clean it again, and that should fix it... unfortunately, that only makes it worse, ESPECIALLY after I wash the vehicle with any kind of soap - but even after several weeks of not being washed the sound is just as loud (if not worse).

I can't afford to keep taking it back to the shop every time this comes up. It requires both my wife and I to take off work and commit 3 or so hours to driving round trip in two vehicles. I've contacted Polaris and they just say to keep taking it to a dealer, have them open a case with them, which I've done, but no permanent solutions are ever offered - it's always just take it back, take it back. I've gone 4 times total.

I just can't drive this thing in public anymore. I teach at a large university, and it's an absolute embarrassment to drive it on campus as heads turn and grimace or laugh at the sound.

Anyone experience something similar? Any ideas what I should do? Polaris does't seem to take this seriously - I assume because it's still functional and not dangerous, but come on this can't be acceptable for a vehicle that is less than 6 months old (and started when it was about 3 months old).

The videos don't do the sound justice... when I say scream, I really mean it. It's louder than the engine, it's deafening in tunnels, and it's what you hear 100+ yards away when I'm coming towards you or driving away.

Videos:

I have a belt squeal that sounds exactly like yours. It is worst when I start on a cold morning. Once the belt warms up it goes away. My ss is about 18 months old and has 20k miles. Will have the dealer check it when I go in for my next oil change.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi Slingshot Fam,

Videos:

I live in the state of Washington and we have lemon laws like a lot of other states. If your state has them let the dealer know that if they can’t fix it you will declare it a lemon and they can return your money or give you another new SS. Many of the dealers don’t know their butts from a hole in the ground about Slingshots and I think Polaris needs to get this issue fixed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a belt squeal that sounds exactly like yours. It is worst when I start on a cold morning. Once the belt warms up it goes away. My ss is about 18 months old and has 20k miles. Will have the dealer check it when I go in for my next oil change.
Me too, its worse than that one when cold then almost goes away when warmed up.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I live in the state of Washington and we have lemon laws like a lot of other states. If your state has them let the dealer know that if they can’t fix it you will declare it a lemon and they can return your money or give you another new SS. Many of the dealers don’t know their butts from a hole in the ground about Slingshots and I think Polaris needs to get this issue fixed.
Most states lemon laws do not apply to motorcycles.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Typical translation: It is worst when I start on a cold morning and the belt is looser. Once the belt warms up, and tightens up, it goes away.

Bill

1 - 16 of 16 Posts