Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to need to put some armor on the belly of these , 5 inches off the ground won't clear to many dead things in the road . I can see ending up with a mess .

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Going to find out fast as soon as they hit the roads , 5 inches = Duck . I was looking at the air splitter on the front and I see it has a rise right in the middle. Guessing Polaris hopes if you got to hit something this is the spot to line up and belly slide over it --I hope .

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
When I first heard how low the Slingshot is, my first thought was the Speed bumps I seem to see in Texas (at least in the Houston area) either in communities or parking lots. I hope Polaris or an enterprising aftermarket type figures out how to apply the equivalent of the pieces of plastic that used to get placed under skateboards to facilitate sliding on obstructions. Mounting something like that under any frame tubing would at least minimize potential damage from speed bumps and their like.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Doesn't seem to me that 5" is that little.

I believe the average sedan is 6" or so, and I see lots of cars lowered to 2 or 3", though for sure they're nuts.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My Morgan 3 Wheeler is lower to the ground than the SS and I haven't had any dragging/high-center issues. Granted, I don't drive it in the city as it's air-cooled and doesn't really like stop & go stuff. I have hauled it on a trailer with a 5' ramp/tail-gate and if I put the trailer's tongue jack down a tad, no drag loading it. Frankly, I don't drive the Morgan like a "regular" vehicle (running errands, etc.) and use it more as a back-road Roadster. In traffic, so many people are trying to take pictures and rubber-necking that the attention is a liability rather than an asset. With your rear-end so close to the ground, people in Toyotas have to look down when sitting at you at a traffic light. I'm not saying you can't but I don't plan on using it as a normal car...I will use it more like a sportbike taken out to have fun on choice roads.

As for smaller debris and road-kill in the road, it will take you a few miles to get used to dodging stuff with "three" tracks. Usually with faced with an either/or situation, I let the back tire take the hit. For a 3-wheel vehicle that will be subjected to hard cornering, low is good.

Z

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've been thinking about carrying a tape measure around with me and just hopping out to measure the speed humps before I go over them. Too tall? Better back up! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts