Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put a different style battery in place of the Polaris oem? Doesn't have to be an optima. I'm just looking for any agm that will fit in that space.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Has anyone put a different style battery in place of the Polaris oem? Doesn't have to be an optima. I'm just looking for any agm that will fit in that space.
Batteries + carries -- usually in stock -- batteries that are the same size and configuration as the OEM. I have replaced mine with one about $140.00 and working well.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
The stock 2015 - 16.5 battery is a Group 26. A Group 34 will also fit and generally offers more capacity. If you live near a Rural King store, they place a Group 34 AGM battery on sale several times per year, sometimes under $100. Pep Boys sells a Bosch AGM battery that appears to be the same battery, but their sale price is usually closer to $140-150. If you have a 2016.5 or newer Slingshot with the smaller motorcycle battery, the major Slingshot parts vendors offer replacement battery trays that will hold a larger battery.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
The stock 2015-16 battery is a Group 26. A Group 34 will also fit and generally offers more capacity. If you have a 2017 or newer Slingshot with the motorcycle battery, the major Slingshot parts vendors offer replacement battery trays that will hold a larger battery.
It appears that the OP has a 2016.5, which, unfortunately, would also be the smaller battery without purchasing some sort of a retrofit kit. .
Bill

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies. I think Im going to try relocating the battery into the driver side storage compartment, any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Thank you for the replies. I think Im going to try relocating the battery into the driver side storage compartment, any thoughts on that?
You loose storage??? I think they relocated the 2020 battery to under the hood in front. I do some traveling and like the storage space. There are also ways to set up a way to jump the batter if so desired. Polaris Slingshot Jump Starters and Jump Port Kits

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
@ecjones I retrofitted a group 26 battery into my 16.5 by having my nephew make me this aluminum plate to hold it. It bolts to the existing holes in the oem platform with the two holes in the center and uses a strap through the brackets to hold it. You really have to shoehorn it in there and the positive terminal is quite close to the frame so I had to insulate it to prevent contact. I can't imagine trying to fit the longer group 34 in there but I know some people have. I added the lip on the inside to prevent it from sliding towards the swingarm but I think the top of the battery would contact the frame first so it probably isn't necessary.

20201114_104320_resized.jpg

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
If you have the smaller motorcycle battery, check the dimensions to see if a second one can fit in the lower section of the driver storage compartment. Wired in parallel, it would provide additional power while not taking up as much room in the compartment as a full size Group 26 battery.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh that's a good idea. I don't use my SS for overnight travel mainly because my wife needs a 1965 cadillac trunk to put everything in so I may do a bigger battery in my storage compartment. I don't care for laying on the floor anyway

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
[/QUOTE]

That would work but my issue with 'motorcycle' batteries is the longevity and cost. My Polaris Sportsman 700 uses a battery that is the exact same dimensions as my 16.5 Sling and costs $105 to replace. Two of them would be $210. The group 26 was $110. I also replace quad and motorcycle batteries way more often than car batteries.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
That would work but my issue with 'motorcycle' batteries is the longevity and cost. My Polaris Sportsman 700 uses a battery that is the exact same dimensions as my 16.5 Sling and costs $105 to replace. Two of them would be $210. The group 26 was $110. I also replace quad and motorcycle batteries way more often than car batteries.
[/QUOTE]
I see your point, but if using the storage compartment is necessary, the smaller motorcycle battery won't take up as much space and with both batteries in parallel should provide 2x the capacity of a single motorcycle battery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Batteries Plus has 2 Duracell batteries that work well, and have a longer warranty than the Polaris. They run $110 and $140
Batteries Plus has 2 Duracell batteries that work well, and have a longer warranty than the Polaris. They run $110 and $140

1 - 14 of 14 Posts