Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was not happy with the idea of installing Jump Studs behind the drivers seat wall so I placed them in the storage compartment to the rear. Very accessible yet out of the way. Also, After installing an Optima battery, I hated to tiny access available to get to the terminals. I simply cut a square out of plastic and the velcro'd a piece of plexiglass on top. Now I have easy access to the battery as well as jump studs.

Attachments

·
Registered
510 Posts
Wow.. Your probably the first person to cut a hole to access the battery. Nice job and pretty smart. Might have to do my sling also.. Thank you for sharing...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm just curious, how often have you guy had to jump start your Slingshots?

It's a manual transmission, doesn't a push start work?
Never tried to push start it. However think about this.. Its a motorcycle battery starting a car engine. Thats a lot of strain and the battery fail quickly. Put a car battery in it and forget about it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I sort of modified your idea and installed my battery posts tonight in the storage compart too, but in a different orientation. Since I only store my helmet in there, it should be pretty good.

Battery Post.jpg

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm curious too, like Jim 29. I don't think anyone replied to his question so far. How often have you had to jump start your slingshot ? Jump posts seem (to me) like a lot of money and work for something that MAY get used maybe once in a couple of years ?

And I've loosened the battery cover to swing it out and expose the terminals a couple of times now. IMHO it's no big deal. Two plastic studs and two screws. Takes about 5 minutes.

What am I missing here ? Why do these exist ?

·
Registered
678 Posts
I've had to boost mine twice now, my own fault, but wiring in accessories and didn't get things right and drained the battery.

For me, it's that extra insurance of getting to the terminals easy in case I'm not at home (for road trips, I do take a set of torx with me) and something happens that I need to boost it.

Also, that positive terminal is hard to get to on my 2019, but I'm hoping that I don't need to access it anymore unless I replace the battery.

As to cost, I sourced my own parts on ebay/amazon and it probably cost me $35 or so. If I had spent more time looking for cheaper parts, I could have done it for a bit less, but time == money.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm curious too, like Jim 29. I don't think anyone replied to his question so far. How often have you had to jump start your slingshot ? Jump posts seem (to me) like a lot of money and work for something that MAY get used maybe once in a couple of years ?

And I've loosened the battery cover to swing it out and expose the terminals a couple of times now. IMHO it's no big deal. Two plastic studs and two screws. Takes about 5 minutes.

In a nutshell, it is a motorcycle battery trying to start a car engine. HUGE strain on that battery. If you have done any lighting upgrades it is even more. Jump studs are piece of mind. You WILL use them. Plus you can charge the battery with them.

·
Registered
544 Posts

Try jumping just once at night when it's pouring rain. (Never had a house fire, but I'm happy to pay for insurance)

·
Registered
95 Posts
For those folks who see a need for jump posts good luck with yours. I hope you'll never need to use them in an emergency. I think I'll keep my battery charged and maintained, replace it after about 4-5 years, and otherwise take my chances without them. Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think, perhaps, those that need a jump start or charge often are bikes that have had extra lights, sound systems, and other devices added. This may put more strain than the original battery could handle.

This is good information. I will keep in mind if I add more lights, like under-vehicle running lights and wheel lights (which my wife is urging me to do). I will look into upping the battery to one with a higher amp/hour rating. Oh great, now I'm wondering if the alternator has enough output to keep up with extra accessories. I think Polaris kept these vehicles pretty lean (both for weight and cost) and didn't plan on a lot of additional equipment. Something I'll have to research.

Other than that, I agree with txsteve53, I'll maintain the battery correctly and replace when it has reached it's end-of-life.

I don't think anyone chimed in about push-starting a Slingshot. I would think it is pretty easy. A gentle downhill slope is all that would be necessary, I would think.

Anyone?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I don't think anyone chimed in about push-starting a Slingshot. I would think it is pretty easy. A gentle downhill slope is all that would be necessary, I would think.

Anyone?
Next time I find a hill, I'll let you know..... lol......

I added a jump port under the hood for a couple of reasons: there were enough stories posted here of batteries failing that I felt better about covering my butt. I also wanted to add extra lights and stuff, wasn't entirely sure about vampire drains. And lastly, I added a trailer wiring kit for a trailer. Last thing I need is to be stuck when out camping due to drain from my trailer lights with few options. If I never use it, great. If I need it, great.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Rider, that all sounds logical.

Have you added any of the extra lights or used a trailer yet? I'm wondering what effects they might have had, if any. I can see extra lights in my future.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I haven't added much in the way of lights, but I've added several accessories. I installed a secondary fuse panel inside the glove box (upside down) and put a relay to the power on that, which is switched off of the key. That way, when I crank it, the fuse box goes hot. My radio needed an always on for it's battery connection, so put a jump block inline between the battery and the relay to tap into when I need something like that. It was an inexpensive solution using parts off of ebay and walmart and I'm happy with it.

I did have the radio wired oddly when testing and caused my battery to drain after a few days, hence why I added my jump ports. Since I added them, i fixed my wiring issue, but if it ever happens again, I can boost it easily.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I've added front EyeBladez and SpoilerBladez about 2 years ago, and the trailer wiring hookup a year ago. Towed a trailer about 30 miles last week with full lights. So far, no ill effects.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I like them a lot. Great visibility, eye catching, dual colors (white, turns amber when turning).
20170709_194758-001.jpg

1 - 20 of 47 Posts