Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, battery failure due to ignition or lights left on can be a nightmare. On the Slingshot, it is even more of a nightmare. The Battery terminals are hidden behind a panel that no one knows where. Sam Owens to the rescue. This video will show you all you need to know about the Battery, location, maintenance, how to remove and install. All Slingshot Owners should be required to watch this video. I hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Folks, battery failure due to ignition or lights left on can be a nightmare. On the Slingshot, it is even more of a nightmare. The Battery terminals are hidden behind a panel that no one knows where. Sam Owens to the rescue. This video will show you all you need to know about the Battery, location, maintenance, how to remove and install. All Slingshot Owners should be required to watch this video. I hope this helps someone.
Another Great Video
Thank You - Samowens44
carol & i recommend that you put Grease on both positive & negative battery terminals to prevent corrision
you can use auto grease, white lithium grease, Dielelectric grease or Vaseline Petroleum Jelly
the end of battery terminal corrosion
Battery corrision.jpg
............................ tom n carol

·
Registered
823 Posts
Sam; YOU the MAN ! Another great instruction vid. Now I need to check mine. Been avoiding it since I didn't know what to expect. Thanx :happy:

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Another way to remove corrosion is to mix baking soda with a little water and pour on the terminal; it will boil the bad stuff right off. Then flush it off with water. Certainly not a thorough as what Sam did, but if you don't want to pull the battery out, its a cheap fix. Let it dry and add whatever "grease" you want. I keep a spray can of stuff made just for batteries. You can also use chemically treated felt "washers" that go over the terminals
to prevent corrosion. At any auto store for about a $1 or so.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Living in dry AZ has its advantages. I checked my battery and the terminals were clean as a whistle!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Well, Sam: I did my battery maintenance today, and Glad I Did ! I tried to follow your instructions, but I got one backwards. I thought I was supposed to arc my wrench across both terminals, but when I saw the sparks,:dummy: I remembered I was supposed to avoid that.:cool: Anyhow, I cleaned the corrosion off the + terminal, coated it with dielectric grease, & re-installed both cables. Then when I tried to re-mount the battery, I found the cables were too short.......or possibly I installed them in the incorrect orientation (wishing you were here,Sam):rolleyes: Starting over, I reoriented the cables, & forced the battery back into it's rack and buttoned her back up. One of my most exhilarating maintenance episodes !

Addendum for subsequent battery maintenance: Use a T35 bit for the cover fasteners. Use a 1/2" SAE wrench for the locking block & battery terminals. Call Sam for emergencies & fires.:dead:

·
Registered
823 Posts
One more suggestion: When you remove the battery cables, be SURE you take note their orientation so they can be re-installed the same direction.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A sealed battery "maintenance free" one is a must IMO. Non sealed batteries can allow battery acid to seep out through the caps.Along with a battery tender.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, Sam: I did my battery maintenance today, and Glad I Did ! I tried to follow your instructions, but I got one backwards. I thought I was supposed to arc my wrench across both terminals, but when I saw the sparks,:dummy: I remembered I was supposed to avoid that.:cool: Anyhow, I cleaned the corrosion off the + terminal, coated it with dielectric grease, & re-installed both cables. Then when I tried to re-mount the battery, I found the cables were too short.......or possibly I installed them in the incorrect orientation (wishing you were here,Sam):rolleyes: Starting over, I reoriented the cables, & forced the battery back into it's rack and buttoned her back up. One of my most exhilarating maintenance episodes !

Addendum for subsequent battery maintenance: Use a T35 bit for the cover fasteners. Use a 1/2" SAE wrench for the locking block & battery terminals. Call Sam for emergencies & fires.:dead:
@SLINGSHOOTER, sorry for the sparks, but I clearly said to avoid doing that. Now the guys that do this all the time will insulate the handle of their wrench with tape or anything that will keep the wrench from coming in contact with both battery terminals. You could event wrap a shop cloth around the handle. Proper tools are a must on any project. My goal of the video is make folks aware that they should check their battery or have someone do it if they don't feel like they can do it. A battery can cause you a eye injury if you short the two terminals along with damaging the battery. Small fragments of molten metal will fly out for the shorting. You should wear protective glasses when working around a battery for this reason. Now let's all learn from the accident Slingshooter shared with us. Please folks, be careful when performing battery maintenance.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Living in dry AZ has its advantages. I checked my battery and the terminals were clean as a whistle!
I just checked ours after going through our very wet winter here in Oregon, we found the terminals clean also, but I did lube them up while I was in there...........

Bill and Justina

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Checked mine this weekend. The ground lug connection was loose enough I could turn it with my fingers
A loose terminal is a failure just around the corner from no start. Remember it is not always the positive red lead that is the problem, Ground terminal needs to be checked also for tightness. I am so glad that you folks are checking your batteries. Water level is important, don't let the level get down below the top of the plates. Don't overfill either, just up to where it bubbles. You get boil over and causes your battery cage to to have corrosion from acid eating paint off. Next time you change the battery get a maintenance free as replacement. Terminals good and tight and a terminal dressing to cut down on corrosive action and you should only need to take cover off every 6 months and look at terminals.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Always check for tightness of the connections on both terminals by trying to twist the terminal with you hand. You should not be able to turn them. Loose terminals will cause a build up of a carbon back material that will insulate the connection over time and you will not have enough current to start your motor. Lights will come on, but the connections is the trouble. This condition confuses a lot of folks. It is all about Ohms Law. Resistance reduces current. Resistance is a loose connection.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Does anyone know if on the 2016 SS if the battery is a sealed one? I was just wondering about that and thought id ask if anyone knew the answer to that. I cant get on my hands and knees to even think about popping that cover off so I was just wondering about that.

I sure have never seen a one year old battery look as bad as yours did Sam. Its nothing against you of course, but it amazes me as to how bad it looked. I recently had the battery changed on my truck. It was about 5 years old and it looked almost as bad as yours did after a year, wow! I guess maybe because the battery is located so low and maybe up higher like in a truck its maybe better protected from the elements, I could be totally wrong about that but it makes a little sense to me anyhow.

Great video Sam as usual! Ive sub to your You Tube channel as well. You make me laugh a lot times when you're explaining things which I enjoy that part of it, hence the subbing to your channel! Thanks for all that you contribute to the SS! Take care and looking forward to more videos!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Page 72, 2016 owners manual; says battery is sealed type and " never pry sealing strip off or add any
fluid"
Hey thanks for the info on that! I can't believe I missed that in the book or actually already forgot the info.
I'm wondering now if the sealed batteries will age better, worse, or the same as the kind that can be opened. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate your response, thx!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hey thanks for the info on that! I can't believe I missed that in the book or actually already forgot the info.
I'm wondering now if the sealed batteries will age better, worse, or the same as the kind that can be opened. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate your response, thx!
Hard to say;so many variables affecting battery life. Out here in the desert where i live, 3 years is considered good;however my original battery in my 2006 chevy hhr lasted 8 years.

·
Registered
163 Posts
How long will a SS battery hold a charge when not being driven. Do use a battery tender but just curious if anyone knows.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
My battery is getting replaced in the spring.

Lead batteries are yesterdays news. ;-)

Lithium batteries are featherweight, last much longer, charge much faster and usually have more power than their comparable lead acid battery.

My motorcycles lithium battery has been sitting in the garage for over a year with no charge and still shows 3 blue lights (full charge). ;-)

The next time you are at the auto store, ask them to show you a lithium battery. Hold it. You will not believe how light they are.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts