Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, anyone else install the Bassani exhaust? I am having a bunch of issues. I have a 2016.5 LE white pearl.

First, the exhaust doesn't seal against the catalytic converter and causes an exhaust leak at the bottom of the donut. I am pretty sure this is because Polaris changed the spring positioning (they deleted one spring location on newer models) on the stock exhaust and Bassani had to compensate for it by adding a bracket. That bracket makes the exhaust twist in a weird way and causes the leak. Bassanis were originally compatible with 2014-15 models but because of this new bracket they claim it works on a '16

Because of this, I can't really comment on sound except to say it sounds awful (because of the leak). Unbelievably loud and has a thrashing sound. And it smells horrible, even though the cat wasn't touched/modified/removed.

So overall, I'm really unhappy with it and looking for some help. Also trying to return it but they wont take it back because it's been installed.

Thanks guys. Anyone have another exhaust recommendation? I like the 1320 header/exhaust combo but worried about the smell of going catless.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sorry you're having issues and hopefully you can find a good solution. I had the dealer install mine on our 2016. No problems or issues with about 1k miles on it

·
Thank You All, You Know Who You Are!
3,685 Posts
@40hp VW if you just change the header it gives you a noticeable performance bump. Why don't you give the Alpha or 1320 header a shot with the stock muffler? It sounds and performs pretty good. This way your not putting more into exhausts you're unsure of.;)

·
Thank You All, You Know Who You Are!
3,685 Posts
Can you clarify please: Are you running a Bassani header with the stock muffler or ?
40hp VW is running a stock manifold with a Bassani exhaust. I am running an Alpha header with a "one off" Fab Factory exhaust. I noticed a bump in performance and throatyness from just adding the Alpha Header to my factory exhaust. I bought and installed the Alpha Header at SSITS. I wouldn't have bothered with an exhaust, but I already had the Fab Factory waiting at home. I didn't install it before SSITS because any new exhaust could require tweaking and I only received it the day before I left for SSITS.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Got it I think. So the Basaini replaces the stock muffler but the catalytic pipe is still there between the exhaust manifold and the Bassani. I got that right?
Cute avatar.

Quoting your very own words verbatim from another thread...

"Dude. Spell Check. Seriously. Spell Check. It's not hard."

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@40hp VW if you just change the header it gives you a noticeable performance bump. Why don't you give the Alpha or 1320 header a shot with the stock muffler? It sounds and performs pretty good. This way your not putting more into exhausts you're unsure of.;)
That's a good suggestion! I may go that route. Now I guess I'm off to evaluate headers!

Got it I think. So the Basaini replaces the stock muffler but the catalytic pipe is still there between the exhaust manifold and the Bassani. I got that right?
Yup you got it right.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to follow-up on this, I ended up with an all-Alpha setup... CAI, header, and side-exit exhaust. Pretty happy with it. I even wish the Alpha could be a bit louder during normal driving. It's loud when you go over 3K RPM and when you have your foot in it, but if you are just cruising in the low revs it's pretty similar to stock.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Just to follow-up on this, I ended up with an all-Alpha setup... CAI, header, and side-exit exhaust. Pretty happy with it. I even wish the Alpha could be a bit louder during normal driving. It's loud when you go over 3K RPM and when you have your foot in it, but if you are just cruising in the low revs it's pretty similar to stock.
I think you got the same setup my friend just put on his last weekend and it's nice.

You might want to stand on the sidewalk while a friend drives yours by though. I think its louder than you may realize from the cockpit.

I could be wrong, not a decibel meter check or anything, but his definitely sounds louder to me even at low revs.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I did the Alpha CAI, 1320 header and the twin shot exhaust which has a free flow cat installed. Not getting any fumes when I am sitting at stop lights, since I installed the CAI get a little smell at WOT, can handle that, just installed this so may go away, will see. Pretty happy with the set up, some drone in the lower RPM ranges, but sounds great at WOT.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts