Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been shopping around and looking online for answers and so far I have gotten nowhere.

when i look online to shop for wheels for my 2015 base Ss, i believe it is 17x7 / 5x114 / 42mm front and 18x9.5 / 5x114 / 45mm rear.

QUESTIONS
1***Can i use a rim size 17x7.5 up front? And would a wider offset be OK what would be my limitations until things get sketchy?

2***can i use a rim size 18x9 rear?

3***are there any repercussions for making all the wheels the same size for example, 18inch from front to back.

thanks in advance! Looking to buy some nice rims with minimal snags. Appreciate who can help!

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
www.willtheyfit.com will generate a visual representation of how large/smaller wheels/tires will look compared to stock. I prefer to use Discount Tire's Tire Size Calculator - https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-size-calculator, to get a more accurate estimate of the impact of changing tires/wheels on the speedo reading as WillTheyFit's speedo numbers are not as accurate.
I currently run 215 /50R17 tires on my stock wheels on the front and use an American Muscle 10th Anniversary COBRA Style 17x10.5" 28mm offset Mustang wheel on the rear with a 315/35R17 tire. The rear tire sits over 1" to the left of center, but I have not experienced any handling problems with the different offset. I have also tried a CP32 1xx10.5 35mm offset wheel on the rear with a 30530R18 wheel on the rear w/o any problems, but the 30-profile tire is MUCH harder to install on the wheel.
The hardest thing about changing wheels is finding the correct offsets and desired front/rear sizes.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I’ve been shopping around and looking online for answers and so far I have gotten nowhere.

when i look online to shop for wheels for my 2015 base Ss, i believe it is 17x7 / 5x114 / 42mm front and 18x9.5 / 5x114 / 45mm rear.

QUESTIONS
1***Can i use a rim size 17x7.5 up front? And would a wider offset be OK what would be my limitations until things get sketchy?

2***can i use a rim size 18x9 rear?

3***are there any repercussions for making all the wheels the same size for example, 18inch from front to back.

thanks in advance! Looking to buy some nice rims with minimal snags. Appreciate who can help!
I should have answered these questions earlier. Sorry.
1 - You can use wider wheels, but they may make it harder to trailer since they will also probably increase the width. American Muscle offers affordable Mustang wheels that offer wider widths, but smaller offsets, meaning the wheels will be offset to the left on the rear and to the outside for the fronts.
I mentioned using 17x10.5 Am wheel on the rear to mount a Nitto 555 G2 315/35R17 tire. That's probably the cheapest route to a wider rear tire at a total cost of $3-400. As mentioned, the offset, being smaller for the AM wheel, will shift the tire about 1"+ to the left, but I have never noticed any handling problems. While I have never noticed any handling problem due to running a rar tire that is centered over 1" to the left, some folks do not like the idea of running wheels with a different offset. Spacers can be used if you want to try a wheel that has a larger offset since a spacer will effectively decrease the offset, but you will just need to accept that smaller offsets will move your tire/wheel to the outside compared to stock offsets. Remember to use the WillTheyFit and the DT Tire Size calculator websites I referred to above to get an accurate idea of how your tire/wheel will mount compared to stock and the impact on your speedometer reading.
Here are some matching wheels sizes from American Muscle that will fit the Slingshot -
American Muscle wheels - IIRC, a set of two front and one rear wheel should cost between $3-400, depending on what sales are in effect at any given time. Worst case would be under $500 for all three wheels.

Front - Bullitt Solid Black Wheel - 17x8 +30mm OR 17x9 +30mm
Rear - Deep Dish Bullitt Solid Black Wheel - 17x10.5 +28mm

Front - FR500 Style Black Wheel - 17x9 +30mm
Raer - Deep Dish FR500 Style Black Wheel - 17x10.5 +27mm

Front - Deep Dish 2003 Cobra Style Black Wheel - 17x9 +25mm
Rear - Deep Dish 2003 Cobra Style Black Wheel - 17x10.5 +27mm

Front - 10th Anniversary Cobra Style Black Wheel - 17x9 +30mm
Rear - 10th Anniversary Cobra Style Black Wheel - 17x10.5 +28mm

And here is some info on Nitto tires to fit the wider front wheels -

17 x 9 wheel Preferred 555 G2 size - 255/40R17 64.9mph @ 65 indicated
also could use -
235/45R17 65.6mph @ 65 indicated
245/45R17 66.6mph @ 65 indicated

17 x 9 preferred Motivo size - 255/40R17 64.9 @ 65 indicated
also could use -

About hub centric ring adapters - Hub centric ring adapters should always be used to properly center a wheel on a hub it wasn't originally designed for. Failing to use them places additional strain on the lug nuts to keep the wheel centered and may result in some handling issues.
The CP wheel I mentioned above required a 66.1 mm inner diameter to 73.1 mm outer diameter hub centric ring adapter.
The AM 10th Anniversary COBRA Style wheel mentioned above required a 66.1 mm inner diameter to 70.3 outer diameter hub ring adapter. I assume all AM wheels use the same 70.3 hub ring, but check with AM to be sure.
CP offers both metal and plastic hub centric adapters - https://circuitperformance.com/shop/circuit-performance-hub-centric-rings/.
An alternative source with even more adapter sizes is JustForWheels - https://www.justforwheels.com/index.jsp.

You can go the more affordable route and search out the wheel types and associated equipment you want to try, but the specialized wheel/tire vendors selling kits for the Slingshot have already done all of the work for you.

2 - You canuse an 18x9 wheel, but that is actually narrower than the stock Base wheel which is 18x9.5. Again, remember to check the impact of differing offsets, if applicable.

3 - Several owners of Base model Slingshots have replaced the front wheels with wide Base model rear wheels and run stock rear tire sizes all around. Others have mounted 17x10.5 or 17x11 wheels front and rear so they can up to 315 tires all around. Using a 315/35R17 tire on a 17x10.5/11 wheel should have negligible impact on speedometer readings and I haven't seen any complaints about the larger front tires interfering with the safety nanny systems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should have answered these questions earlier. Sorry.
1 - You can use wider wheels, but they may make it harder to trailer since they will also probably increase the width. American Muscle offers affordable Mustang wheels that offer wider widths, but smaller offsets, meaning the wheels will be offset to the left on the rear and to the outside for the fronts.
I mentioned using 17x10.5 Am wheel on the rear to mount a Nitto 555 G2 315/35R17 tire. That's probably the cheapest route to a wider rear tire at a total cost of $3-400. As mentioned, the offset, being smaller for the AM wheel, will shift the tire about 1"+ to the left, but I have never noticed any handling problems. While I have never noticed any handling problem due to running a rar tire that is centered over 1" to the left, some folks do not like the idea of running wheels with a different offset. Spacers can be used if you want to try a wheel that has a larger offset since a spacer will effectively decrease the offset, but you will just need to accept that smaller offsets will move your tire/wheel to the outside compared to stock offsets. Remember to use the WillTheyFit and the DT Tire Size calculator websites I referred to above to get an accurate idea of how your tire/wheel will mount compared to stock and the impact on your speedometer reading.
Here are some matching wheels sizes from American Muscle that will fit the Slingshot -
American Muscle wheels - IIRC, a set of two front and one rear wheel should cost between $3-400, depending on what sales are in effect at any given time. Worst case would be under $500 for all three wheels.

Front - Bullitt Solid Black Wheel - 17x8 +30mm OR 17x9 +30mm
Rear - Deep Dish Bullitt Solid Black Wheel - 17x10.5 +28mm

Front - FR500 Style Black Wheel - 17x9 +30mm
Raer - Deep Dish FR500 Style Black Wheel - 17x10.5 +27mm

Front - Deep Dish 2003 Cobra Style Black Wheel - 17x9 +25mm
Rear - Deep Dish 2003 Cobra Style Black Wheel - 17x10.5 +27mm

Front - 10th Anniversary Cobra Style Black Wheel - 17x9 +30mm
Rear - 10th Anniversary Cobra Style Black Wheel - 17x10.5 +28mm

And here is some info on Nitto tires to fit the wider front wheels -

17 x 9 wheel Preferred 555 G2 size - 255/40R17 64.9mph @ 65 indicated
also could use -

17 x 9 preferred Motivo size - 255/40R17 64.9 @ 65 indicated
also could use -

About hub centric ring adapters - Hub centric ring adapters should always be used to properly center a wheel on a hub it wasn't originally designed for. Failing to use them places additional strain on the lug nuts to keep the wheel centered and may result in some handling issues.
The CP wheel I mentioned above required a 66.1 mm inner diameter to 73.1 mm outer diameter hub centric ring adapter.
The AM 10th Anniversary COBRA Style wheel mentioned above required a 66.1 mm inner diameter to 70.3 outer diameter hub ring adapter. I assume all AM wheels use the same 70.3 hub ring, but check with AM to be sure.
CP offers both metal and plastic hub centric adapters - Hub Centric Rings - Circuit Performance.
An alternative source with even more adapter sizes is JustForWheels - Hub Centric Rings - JustForWheels.com.

You can go the more affordable route and search out the wheel types and associated equipment you want to try, but the specialized wheel/tire vendors selling kits for the Slingshot have already done all of the work for you.

2 - You canuse an 18x9 wheel, but that is actually narrower than the stock Base wheel which is 18x9.5. Again, remember to check the impact of differing offsets, if applicable.

3 - Several owners of Base model Slingshots have replaced the front wheels with wide Base model rear wheels and run stock rear tire sizes all around. Others have mounted 17x10.5 or 17x11 wheels front and rear so they can up to 315 tires all around. Using a 315/35R17 tire on a 17x10.5/11 wheel should have negligible impact on speedometer readings and I haven't seen any complaints about the larger front tires interfering with the safety nanny systems.
THANK YOU!!! exact info i needed. Happy holidays! Appreciate ya!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts