Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I am a little confused ( this is normal ).
Everyone is talking about not putting on larger wheels and tires as it will screw up the TC readings.
However they go one inch bigger from Base to SL, do they make computer changes as well ?
Or is the wheel/tire profile "exactly" the same from the Base to the SL ?
If that is the case we can go bigger as long as we keep the profile the same ?

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
414 Posts
That's a good question. I wondered the same myself. This may be one of those situations where the dealer has a computer update that compensates for the difference in wheel size. Basically, upgrade your wheels and change the traction control profile. Hopefully a dealer can weigh in and let us know how this really works.

·
Vendor
118 Posts
You'd be exactly correct Ryder.. Digital wrench can tell the TCS that the rear wheel is now this big ( would be done right from Polaris for the differences between the SS and SL) And i could be way off but i believe that same table can be adjusted to tell the TCS that you now have an even wider tire that the stock SL profile..But like i said, i could be way wrong on that second statement.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The matched or defined tire diameter is what the computer is looking for to make its adjustments for traction and stability control. The width makes no difference to the computer, front or rear.

This is what I was told by Diablo Sport, when they used one of my SRT8's for a beta tester.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So we either match the wheel/tire diameter of your delivered SS or SL when you self " upgrade" or find a dealer that will punch in the correct info thru Digital Wrench ( if DW will allow that much flexibility).
I wonder how willing dealers will be to do such a thing ?? Ball Equipment ?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Or perhaps a few % difference in the amount of tire slippage isn't a big deal; either way you're smoking the tire pretty good.

·
Vendor
118 Posts
Is digital wrench available to the public?
That's something Bryan and Chris should be able to tell us
Sorry guys, it is not available.. Very few Polaris tools are available for the public. I think Chris had mentioned in another thread that Polaris sends us their special tools and then sends the bill, there is no part number or anything on these tools.. So theres no way to order them even being a dealer!

Or perhaps a few % difference in the amount of tire slippage isn't a big deal; either way you're smoking the tire pretty good.
This has got me thinking.. Im wondering if polaris had engineered a certain amount of wheel spin to be possible in order to make the quickest 0-60 times.. if you look at the 2.4L specs it makes its peak power and peak torque pretty high in the rev range ( typical 4cyl.) so if you were able to hook fairly decently in this bike im thinking you would have a slower 0-60 time.. Its the same principle that is at play when it comes to ATVs drag racing on a loose surface like sand or a gravel road where traction is next to impossible, it comes down to wheel speed and the ability to maintain a decent RPM ( Powerband).

Just some food for thought boys :Blackalien:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So do you think dealers would be willing to make the adjustments for a larger setup ? Maybe for an hour of shop time or something like that ?

·
Vendor
118 Posts
Depending on the dealer.. Im sure some dealers will not just because im sure it has something to do with voiding the warranty.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, now I am all confused again ....
Ken - can you provide any more details to what you posted ??

·
Registered
86 Posts
OK, now I am all confused again ....
Ken - can you provide any more details to what you posted ??
Just that I called Polaris to ask about the upgraded wheels on the base as I am getting one of the intitial shipments...base completely loaded. I asked if anything needed to be done to the TC system given my base unit will have the 18" and 20" wheels. They informed me that the dealer does not have to change anything. That is all I know.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CR - I really hope you are correct. Then we could really do some fun stuff.
I am in the same boat with Ken, I am getting a base in the initial shipment of my dealer and plan to start slapping on the upgrades right away.
Working with a company now on a supercharger :)

·
Registered
702 Posts
This has got me thinking.. Im wondering if polaris had engineered a certain amount of wheel spin to be possible in order to make the quickest 0-60 times.. if you look at the 2.4L specs it makes its peak power and peak torque pretty high in the rev range ( typical 4cyl.)
My guess is that it makes it possible to steer with the throttle,

Re torque, I read in a review where a Polaris engineer says they chose the engine specifically because of it's broad torque range.

An engine may have peak torque at high rpm but a large % of it at much lower rpm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would think that the size of the wheels is not the issue, it is the relationship of the size of the front wheels to the rear wheel. There would be a little variance (1-2%) allowed but anymore and the traction / stability control would be thrown off.
I have a Nissan 350z that has traction/stability control. The rear tire diameter needs to be just a fraction bigger than the from tires. A lot of people on the 350z forum had issues when adding aftermarket rims because they weren't using a tire calculator to keep the front to rear ratios the same as stock. So as long as the overall front to rear ratio is kept the same the overall tire size won't affect the traction / stability control but would affect the speedo. My guess is that this front to rear ratio is different from the base to the premium model but just stick with the front to rear ratio of what model you have and all should be good.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts