Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Polaris builds the Slingshot at a plant in Spirit Lake, Iowa, using several parts that are made in Connecticut. The company maintains that it is a motorcycle and not an automobile because “it does not have airbags, it does not meet automotive safety standards,” according to fine print on the Slingshot website.

However, in a Dec. 10 letter to Polaris, DMV senior attorney Sharon Geanuracos reiterated DMV’s position and suggested that Polaris pursue legislative options.

“It is the consensus of the DMV that this vehicle closely resembles an automobile in appearance, and is equipped (brake, clutch, accelerator, steering wheel, four-cylinder engine, seat belt, gear shifter, etc.) and handles like an automobile rather than a motorcycle,” Geanuracos wrote.

THE LETTER WENT ON TO DETAIL that the state definition of a motorcycle excludes vehicles that have an enclosed driver’s seat, which the Slingshot has, and a motor that is not in the enclosed area. The Slingshot’s engine is in a separate compartment from the driver’s seat.

http://jalopnik.com/polaris-slingshot-now-banned-in-connecticut-still-not-1673007263

http://dev.rep-am.com/news/news-local/2014/12/18/dmv-slingshot-not-a-bike3-wheelers-dealer-will-appeal-to-legislature

·
Registered
2020 Slingshot Grand Touring Chan Chew Two
779 Posts
Beauracrats don't know anything about motorcycles or having fun!

Life goes on for the rest of us!

·
Registered
1 Posts
i live in this stupid state - i have ordered a SL from a MA dealership back in Sept and will take delivery regardless - if CT does not want my sales tax money or the property tax every year so be it - i am sure MA will have no issue taking it - just so happens my brother lives in MA and will now be the proud owner (not the driver) of the SL

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
I am with u. I would drive it everywhere. Federally once its tagged they can jump up a bulls ass. Sorry people for the word ass. But I felt it was needed.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Also. It doesn't help the people of CT but it does confirm you DO NOT have to wear a helmet in the states that have an enclosed cabin exemption.

·
Registered
211 Posts
i live in this stupid state - i have ordered a SL from a MA dealership back in Sept and will take delivery regardless - if CT does not want my sales tax money or the property tax every year so be it - i am sure MA will have no issue taking it - just so happens my brother lives in MA and will now be the proud owner (not the driver) of the SL
Yep we are based in CT too. And have had this problem before with new products. Even the Can-am Spyder this took an extra 6 months for CT to pass.
We went to NJ to get ours, the great people at Ocean County Power Sports in Toms River NJ set us up with an SL.

If it wasn't stripped down in a million pieces right now I would tell you to stop by the shop and see it. Lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts