Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Bad radio reception

6K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  xd675x 
#1 ·
I have a 2020SL and the radio reception is awful. I have read posts about this and everyone has the same problem. I have read about all kinds of fixes and modifications and everyone seems to think they don't work well. I did something really simple. I downloaded the I Heart Radio app on my phone and linked it through the Bluetooth. not only does the radio come in great but I also have a zillion different stations to choose from. Problem solved!

#8 ·
It doesn't really "fix" radio reception, but it does reliably provide music. I don't remember if your year Slingshot included an amp in the radio antenna connection, but that can help if your Slingshot doesn't have one. Generally, the higher you can get your antenna, the better the reception. Some folks have moved the antenna from under the rear fin and installed it so it is positioned vertically along the fin or near the top of the fin. With a vehicle having a normal metal body, the antenna mounts to the body and the body acts as a ground plane, improving reception. Some Corvette owners apply metal tape in a radial pattern to form a ground plane underneath where the antenna mounts to the fiberglass body to improve reception. You might try grounding the base of the antenna to a frame member (see pic).

Attachments

#14 ·
First, I have a soft top so there are “roll bars” I could use. So, I bought an old fashioned extension type antenna that mounts to the “A pillar” of a 70’s Toyota Corolla.
I fastened it to the post that runs from the passenger side mirror up to the roof.
I think the antenna was $10
BTW, grounding the antenna directly to the battery is useless. What you need is a ground plane, not a ground.

#12 ·
I am not all that familiar with other "motorcycle" audio systems, in fact, I am not familiar with audio systems at all, this is a topic just not important to me. But reading here to the complaining, is the SlingShot any worse than other "motorcycles" out there?

Bill

#13 ·
Bill the AM/FM reception has been BAD on most all the the Slingshot since day one. The 'sound system' is not bad. I have $5.00 ears so I don't need a $1000.00 system but being able to pick up local radio would be nice. Has to do with the antenna and how it is place on the Slingshot.

#19 ·
I have a 2016 SS SL. Had same problem with little or no radio reception. The antenna was laying under the fin and could not get any reception even with local FM. I opened up the center fin and drilled a hole at the top of the fin and threaded the antenna up out of the fin (about 1 inch). Radio works great- the FM station I could not receive locally, I can now receive the same station over 40 miles away. (in day time) I do have amp hooked up to radio that also helps. I will try to attach a pic

Attachments

#20 ·
@Robocop1's pic shows an important detail in that FM stations typically use a mix of vertical and horizontal signal polarization. If you look at most modern car antennas, you'll note that they are usually angled somewhere around 45 degrees compared to the vertical antennas used on older cars. I assume that car manufacturers started using vertical antennas back in the AM-only days and just kept the vertical orientation when FM started coming in and over time eventually changed to a mixed polarization antenna.

#22 ·
?

New to Forum
Hello BKL
I have a 2022SL with very poor radio reception too...
Question: I understand you downloaded the Heart Radio app; but for the amount of money paid for these radios we should get a decent product... That said, have you found and alternate solution to the poor reception

#23 ·
?

New to Forum
Hello BKL
I have a 2022SL with very poor radio reception too...
Question: I understand you downloaded the Heart Radio app; but for the amount of money paid for these radios we should get a decent product... That said, have you found and alternate solution to the poor reception
Just jumping in here where when we have the MeanSling SportTop installed radio reception improves.
Bill

#24 ·
I haven't used the iHeartRadio app as my rides are typically in areas with poor reception.
Improving radio reception can be a PITA since it means removing the rear deck to gain access to your antenna. You'll most likely find your antenna just laying under the rear deck. Using the stock antenna or an aftermarket one if you find one that's highly rated as a replacement, try positioning the antenna either vertically or at an angle to see if you get better reception. If you have a Top with a metal frame, try to position the antenna so it extends above the frame to see if reception improves. Assuming you can find a spot that offers better reception, mount the antenna at that location. This may involve drilling a body panel, so make sure you find a position that yeilds better reception. Another option would be to try adding an antenna booster to amplify the signals you can receive. It may help, but will probably still require accessing under the deck as a signal booster will work best when directly connected to the antenna as opposed to the incoming line at the radio.
Som3 folks may consider this to be too much trouble and prefer to use music on a USB stick. That's the way I decided to go since my Slingshot never had an antenna and I just never got around to installing one.

#25 ·
My 16 SL had same problem with reception. I opened up center fin /brake light and found the antenna just laying down. I drilled small hole on top of center fin and pushed tip of antenna up about 1 inch above filler. Radio reception works great! PIC attached. Look between the bells.

#28 ·
Corvette owners used to place metal or foil underneath the body panel where the antenna is mounted to act as a ground plane and hopefully improve reception as if the Corvette had a metal body. I read one poster remembering how he used tin foil on the antenna back in the 60s. Another poster commented he tried placing foil on the windshield and got great reception until he crashed. A third poster said the 2nd guy should have painted the foil with clear lacquer so he could have seen through the foil!:ROFLMAO:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.