Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2020SL and the radio reception is awful. I have read posts about this and everyone has the same problem. I have read about all kinds of fixes and modifications and everyone seems to think they don't work well. I did something really simple. I downloaded the I Heart Radio app on my phone and linked it through the Bluetooth. not only does the radio come in great but I also have a zillion different stations to choose from. Problem solved!
?
I have a 2020SL and the radio reception is awful. I have read posts about this and everyone has the same problem. I have read about all kinds of fixes and modifications and everyone seems to think they don't work well. I did something really simple. I downloaded the I Heart Radio app on my phone and linked it through the Bluetooth. not only does the radio come in great but I also have a zillion different stations to choose from. Problem solved!
New to Forum
Hello BKL
I have a 2022SL with very poor radio reception too...
Question: I understand you downloaded the Heart Radio app; but for the amount of money paid for these radios we should get a decent product... That said, have you found and alternate solution to the poor reception

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
?

New to Forum
Hello BKL
I have a 2022SL with very poor radio reception too...
Question: I understand you downloaded the Heart Radio app; but for the amount of money paid for these radios we should get a decent product... That said, have you found and alternate solution to the poor reception
Just jumping in here where when we have the MeanSling SportTop installed radio reception improves.
Bill

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
I haven't used the iHeartRadio app as my rides are typically in areas with poor reception.
Improving radio reception can be a PITA since it means removing the rear deck to gain access to your antenna. You'll most likely find your antenna just laying under the rear deck. Using the stock antenna or an aftermarket one if you find one that's highly rated as a replacement, try positioning the antenna either vertically or at an angle to see if you get better reception. If you have a Top with a metal frame, try to position the antenna so it extends above the frame to see if reception improves. Assuming you can find a spot that offers better reception, mount the antenna at that location. This may involve drilling a body panel, so make sure you find a position that yeilds better reception. Another option would be to try adding an antenna booster to amplify the signals you can receive. It may help, but will probably still require accessing under the deck as a signal booster will work best when directly connected to the antenna as opposed to the incoming line at the radio.
Som3 folks may consider this to be too much trouble and prefer to use music on a USB stick. That's the way I decided to go since my Slingshot never had an antenna and I just never got around to installing one.

·
Registered
2016 SS SL
213 Posts
I haven't used the iHeartRadio app as my rides are typically in areas with poor reception.
Improving radio reception can be a PITA since it means removing the rear deck to gain access to your antenna. You'll most likely find your antenna just laying under the rear deck. Using the stock antenna or an aftermarket one if you find one that's highly rated as a replacement, try positioning the antenna either vertically or at an angle to see if you get better reception. If you have a Top with a metal frame, try to position the antenna so it extends above the frame to see if reception improves. Assuming you can find a spot that offers better reception, mount the antenna at that location. This may involve drilling a body panel, so make sure you find a position that yeilds better reception. Another option would be to try adding an antenna booster to amplify the signals you can receive. It may help, but will probably still require accessing under the deck as a signal booster will work best when directly connected to the antenna as opposed to the incoming line at the radio.
Som3 folks may consider this to be too much trouble and prefer to use music on a USB stick. That's the way I decided to go since my Slingshot never had an antenna and I just never got around to installing one.
My 16 SL had same problem with reception. I opened up center fin /brake light and found the antenna just laying down. I drilled small hole on top of center fin and pushed tip of antenna up about 1 inch above filler. Radio reception works great! PIC attached. Look between the bells.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just jumping in here where when we have the MeanSling SportTop installed radio reception improves.
Bill
Bill
2022SL Removing the center rear brake light I could see and get access to the antenna module. I reach in and grab the antenna cable... BAM!!! Awesome instant reception. So... after removing the rear deck I started playing around with the antenna. Unplug the power cable from the antenna module, didn't make any difference plug or unplugged. So I plugged the center brake lights directly to power bypassing the antenna module. Couldn't get a good location because every time I let go of the antenna it loses reception. Hmmm. I wrapped about two feet of the antenna cable with about six feet of copper wire... OK! Picked up about four clear stations. I was thinking of removing the whole cable and relocating closer to the radio but it is too much work to cut all the zip-ties which are running parallel to the main harness thru the center of the vehicle which I think it is the problem. (Too much electromagnetic interference coming from the main harness which is all zip-tied together with the antenna cable. Thinking of abandoning original antenna cable, buying another one, plug it in and start finding the perfect location. That’s my next project, too busy with other things. Put everything back together to its original configuration. For now I’m happy with four clear station.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
2022SL Removing the center rear brake light I could see and get access to the antenna module. I reach in and grab the antenna cable... BAM!!! Awesome instant reception. So... after removing the rear deck I started playing around with the antenna. Unplug the power cable from the antenna module, didn't make any difference plug or unplugged. So I plugged the center brake lights directly to power bypassing the antenna module. Couldn't get a good location because every time I let go of the antenna it loses reception. Hmmm. I wrapped about two feet of the antenna cable with about six feet of copper wire... OK! Picked up about four clear stations. I was thinking of removing the whole cable and relocating closer to the radio but it is too much work to cut all the zip-ties which are running parallel to the main harness thru the center of the vehicle which I think it is the problem. (Too much electromagnetic interference coming from the main harness which is all zip-tied together with the antenna cable. Thinking of abandoning original antenna cable, buying another one, plug it in and start finding the perfect location. That’s my next project, too busy with other things. Put everything back together to its original configuration. For now I’m happy with four clear station.
Glad to hear you're making progress. At one point, I considered mounting an antenna to the top of the dash, tilted to follow the windshield angle, but that's another of the projects I never got around to.:unsure:

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Corvette owners used to place metal or foil underneath the body panel where the antenna is mounted to act as a ground plane and hopefully improve reception as if the Corvette had a metal body. I read one poster remembering how he used tin foil on the antenna back in the 60s. Another poster commented he tried placing foil on the windshield and got great reception until he crashed. A third poster said the 2nd guy should have painted the foil with clear lacquer so he could have seen through the foil!:ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
2015 2JZ swapped
481 Posts
Radio reception has always been poor. Combination of a smaller to non-existent antenna, and the lack of quality radio stations with good power output. Best option (and today's technology) is to utilize your phone for music options.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts