Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020SL and the radio reception is awful. I have read posts about this and everyone has the same problem. I have read about all kinds of fixes and modifications and everyone seems to think they don't work well. I did something really simple. I downloaded the I Heart Radio app on my phone and linked it through the Bluetooth. not only does the radio come in great but I also have a zillion different stations to choose from. Problem solved!

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
I have a 2020SL and the radio reception is awful. I have read posts about this and everyone has the same problem. I have read about all kinds of fixes and modifications and everyone seems to think they don't work well. I did something really simple. I downloaded the I Heart Radio app on my phone and linked it through the Bluetooth. not only does the radio come in great but I also have a zillion different stations to choose from. Problem solved!
That should work great as long as you have a cell signal. Unfortunately, I seem to be out of range of a cell tower all too often.

·
Registered
38 Posts
2016 very poor reception for local stations in St. Louis Mo area...decided to down load songs to my phone...but... for the love of money I can not pair my android...the guy at the dealer said it's my phone and can pair it..tomorrow can't come soon enough.....

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
It doesn't really "fix" radio reception, but it does reliably provide music. I don't remember if your year Slingshot included an amp in the radio antenna connection, but that can help if your Slingshot doesn't have one. Generally, the higher you can get your antenna, the better the reception. Some folks have moved the antenna from under the rear fin and installed it so it is positioned vertically along the fin or near the top of the fin. With a vehicle having a normal metal body, the antenna mounts to the body and the body acts as a ground plane, improving reception. Some Corvette owners apply metal tape in a radial pattern to form a ground plane underneath where the antenna mounts to the fiberglass body to improve reception. You might try grounding the base of the antenna to a frame member (see pic).

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
What external antenna did you use. I tried a rubber marine antenna and used 12g wire to ground it directly to the battery. Still not good

·
Registered
122 Posts
Engine, tranny, angle drive, tires, wind and exhaust. A six piece orchestra that I alone get to direct. Music to my ears.

A little Dr Hook or Elvis now then would be nice.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I am not all that familiar with other "motorcycle" audio systems, in fact, I am not familiar with audio systems at all, this is a topic just not important to me. But reading here to the complaining, is the SlingShot any worse than other "motorcycles" out there?

Bill

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
I am not all that familiar with other "motorcycle" audio systems, in fact, I am not familiar with audio systems at all, this is a topic just not important to me. But reading here to the complaining, is the SlingShot any worse than other "motorcycles" out there?

Bill
Bill the AM/FM reception has been BAD on most all the the Slingshot since day one. The 'sound system' is not bad. I have $5.00 ears so I don't need a $1000.00 system but being able to pick up local radio would be nice. Has to do with the antenna and how it is place on the Slingshot.

·
Registered
155 Posts
What external antenna did you use. I tried a rubber marine antenna and used 12g wire to ground it directly to the battery. Still not good
First, I have a soft top so there are “roll bars” I could use. So, I bought an old fashioned extension type antenna that mounts to the “A pillar” of a 70’s Toyota Corolla.
I fastened it to the post that runs from the passenger side mirror up to the roof.
I think the antenna was $10
BTW, grounding the antenna directly to the battery is useless. What you need is a ground plane, not a ground.

·
Registered
155 Posts

Bill
Yes, the SS radio is worse than any motorcycle radio on any motorcycle I have ever owned. The antenna is short, doesn’t stand vertical and is low to the ground.
The tip of my Goldwing antenna is almost 6 feet off the ground and is totally exposed, not buried under fiberglass...
The SS radio itself works and sounds great as soon as you improve the antenna!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Like many others, I, too, rely on a USB memory stick for music.
I live 10 minutes out of NYC and I cant get the NYC classic rock station in. I put the station into the I heart radio app and receive the station through my phone instead of the slingshot antenna.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a 2016 SS SL. Had same problem with little or no radio reception. The antenna was laying under the fin and could not get any reception even with local FM. I opened up the center fin and drilled a hole at the top of the fin and threaded the antenna up out of the fin (about 1 inch). Radio works great- the FM station I could not receive locally, I can now receive the same station over 40 miles away. (in day time) I do have amp hooked up to radio that also helps. I will try to attach a pic

Attachments

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
I have a 2016 SS SL. Had same problem with little or no radio reception. The antenna was laying under the fin and could not get any reception even with local FM. I opened up the center fin and drilled a hole at the top of the fin and threaded the antenna up out of the fin (about 1 inch). Radio works great- the FM station I could not receive locally, I can now receive the same station over 40 miles away. (in day time) I do have amp hooked up to radio that also helps. I will try to attach a pic
@Robocop1's pic shows an important detail in that FM stations typically use a mix of vertical and horizontal signal polarization. If you look at most modern car antennas, you'll note that they are usually angled somewhere around 45 degrees compared to the vertical antennas used on older cars. I assume that car manufacturers started using vertical antennas back in the AM-only days and just kept the vertical orientation when FM started coming in and over time eventually changed to a mixed polarization antenna.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts