Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Backup camera to switch

10K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  Lwyer 
#1 ·
Has anyone wired the backup camera to a switch so you can active when you want and not just in reverse? I have the factory radio. Is there a power wire going to reverse to activate the camera?

#3 ·
Sounds pretty simple.

You can use a 30-Amp SPDT Relay.

How to wire the switch and relay:

One side of the switch goes to ground.
The other side connects to pin 85 on the relay.
Pin 86-87 connects to +12v constant. Which is the White Wite on the 3-pin radio harness behind the radio location.
Connect pin 30 to the Reverse Wire on the back of the aftermarket head unit. You can use both, the reverse wire and switch wire at the same time.

So, whe you shift into reverse you can see the camera image. Or if you flip the switch while you are driving, you can see the camera image.

Please DM me if you have any questions or if you need help with wiring.

#22 ·
Sounds pretty simple.

You can use a 30-Amp SPDT Relay.

How to wire the switch and relay:

One side of the switch goes to ground.
The other side connects to pin 85 on the relay.
Pin 86-87 connects to +12v constant. Which is the White Wite on the 3-pin radio harness behind the radio location.
Connect pin 30 to the Reverse Wire on the back of the aftermarket head unit. You can use both, the reverse wire and switch wire at the same time.

So, whe you shift into reverse you can see the camera image. Or if you flip the switch while you are driving, you can see the camera image.

Please DM me if you have any questions or if you need help with wiring.
Which wire provides the image/actual video. I struggling over here. Sorry

#7 ·
No problem.
Please let me know if you would like me to wire a relay and send it to you.

Switches I don't have. However I do plan on visiting a local electronics store to source the same switches.

Wiring I can do, but taking pictures....not so much. I will make an effort to do so in the future.

It would be easier for me to do the work and someone else take the pictures. Hahaha! Lazy?!

#11 ·
I'm planning on wiring a reverse cam and rearview mirror screen to a switch in the dash and turn it on and off when I want. not gonna deal with the reverse lights at all. if I hook them both up to the ignition wire in the glove compartment cigarette charger will that be enough power and do you think I'll need to install a fuse inbetween? I'm ordering a blue sea fuse block just in case and some 12 gauge wire to run directly to the battery if it isn't enough power.

#13 ·
Psycoticlown,
If you are going to install a rear view mirror that has a camera input and allows the camera to be viewed at all times, then of course you can wire the +12v wire to an Ignition switched power source. This is a simple installation.
All you would need to do is Ground the Black Wire and use the +12v Ignition Power Source at the Cigarette Accessory Outlet.
This will allow you to view the camera on the rear view mirror whenever the ignition is turned ON.

You should always use in in-line fuse for any +12v power connection. A 5 amp fuse is typically used for back-up camera wiring.

As for wiring in an accessory fuse block, this is a great idea for simple accessory add-on's. If you do this, a couple things to consider:
1. Does the accessory fuse block allow for +12v Constant and +12v Ignition? Like the one offered by SlingMods. Just keep in mind, if you wire the accessory fuse block for a +12v Constant configuration, you will incur parasitic current draw from whatever accessory you have connected.
Of course you can always connect the accessory fuse block to a +12v Ignition Source that would only allow the connected accessories to have power when the Ignition is ON.

2. Power gauge wire:
The distance from the battery to the dash is approximately 15-feet if you run the power wire under the center console panel. It is approximately 16.5-feet if you run the power wire up the drivers side, under the dash, up to the radio opening.

With this in mind, there is a current draw-wire gauge chart that you can reference to help determine the correct gauge wire to run to decrease the chance of resistance and increase efficiency.
Link: Recommended Power and Ground Cable Sizes & Speaker Wire Size and Length

So, depending on the total amp rating on the accessory fuse block would determine the correct gauge power wire to run. In my opinion, I would recommend running 8ga or 10ga wire as this would provide ample enough power for whatever you would like to connect to the accessory fuse block.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can assist you further.

#21 ·
One more quick question (maybe), in your original post you said the reverse wire on the aftermarket head unit. I have a SL so I will be using the OE unit. What is the color of the wire on the three wire connector that supply's the image from the camera that I will need to tap into. Assuming that that is the wire I will need to use. Just read that, I hope it makes sense

#23 ·
One more quick question (maybe), in your original post you said the reverse wire on the aftermarket head unit. I have a SL so I will be using the OE unit. What is the color of the wire on the three wire connector that supply's the image from the camera that I will need to tap into. Assuming that that is the wire I will need to use. Just read that, I hope it makes sense
I am not sure what the pin out is on the main harness to the factory black box for the media system. I will have to do some thinking and see what I can come up with.

#26 ·
Hopefully the more informed on this will chime in.
I inquired about this same thing last year.

I was advised that if you trick the OEM backup camera system (with OEM head unit) to go on (while travelling forward) it throws a code and the ECU goes into sometype of safety mode and kills the power.

Webby

#27 ·
I found easier way was just run a Second back camera system but setup to power when slingshot is running. Ebay and Amazon both have backup systems that are around 40 to 70 dollars and works out. I mounted the screen to center post of windshield. Power source just look for a lead that is only on when Slingshot is power up. Mounted rear camera above factory back camera.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.