Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone aware if there is a way to have the screen display the backup camera while moving? Could be very helpful. Thoughts on this?

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
When the trans is shifted into Reverse, there is a switch that activates the camera. Adding a new switch that sends power to the same wire going into the infotainment system should trigger the camera, too.
Personally, I plan on adding a multi-camera waterproof display that will allow me to have front and rear cameras so I can see backwards when in Reverse and see the front wing when parking to avoid parking blocks. Pyle makes such a display.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Would that require another monitor or could you still use the infotainment center?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
503 Posts
When the trans is shifted into Reverse, there is a switch that activates the camera. Adding a new switch that sends power to the same wire going into the infotainment system should trigger the camera, too.
Personally, I plan on adding a multi-camera waterproof display that will allow me to have front and rear cameras so I can see backwards when in Reverse and see the front wing when parking to avoid parking blocks. Pyle makes such a display.
You could also use a BrandMotion 5000-CA5-Alert-Warning-System

·
Registered
619 Posts
Funny thing , my back up cam came on today when I was running forward . Stayed on for 2 or 3 miles and then I stopped and put it in reverse and back to first and it shut off . When I started it that time it was in reverse gear and clutch in , started it went to first and it just stayed on . it will do it but not just sure how to make it do it again yet .

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Anyone aware if there is a way to have the screen display the backup camera while moving? Could be very helpful. Thoughts on this?
You might want to be careful when and if you make that change. Some states (not sure if they all do or not) do not allow the back-up camera to be used while moving forward. They interpret it to be the same as watching a dvd screen. Almost all aftermarket cameras have that disclaimer in their instructions.

·
The Pack
5,165 Posts
Always back it in. Heh

·
The Pack
5,165 Posts
You might want to be careful when and if you make that change. Some states (not sure if they all do or not) do not allow the back-up camera to be used while moving forward. They interpret it to be the same as watching a dvd screen. Almost all aftermarket cameras have that disclaimer in their instructions.
I have an equus with a standard front camera. It pops in below 5 mph. Most likely for that reason.

·
Vendor
2,216 Posts
I know on aftermarket head units with built in cameras they give you a ground wire to hook up to reverse. We need to find out where that is on the SS and put a switch on that baybe. I have to take the center console apart to wire in some dash switches.. i'll take a peek around for it.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
How is it navigating the infotainment with the backup cam on? I imagine you would not be able to access any of the menu with the camera engaged; it's either all or nothing, with the cam going.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Assuming the rear cam works like my Ford Edge, when in rear view mode, that's all that it does. No radio tuning, just rear cam picture.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Assuming the rear cam works like my Ford Edge, when in rear view mode, that's all that it does. No radio tuning, just rear cam picture.
That's the downside, I figure, unless you can manage dual screens, then using a backup in lieu of a rear mirror would be amazing.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
The Pyle stand-alone, waterproof 7" multi-camera-input monitor allows easy selection of any one of up to three cameras. I have also found a few in-dash stereo systems that support up to 2 cameras using a 3.5"+/- screen. Unfortunately, the few I've found seem to be unknown brands so I don't know ho reliable they might be. Pyle, at least has a history of marine steros.

·
Vendor
2,216 Posts
There is a Positive and Negative Plug labeled Back Up Module that plugs into the back of the SL head unit. I'm gonna measure voltage on those leads when the ss is in neutral and when it's in reverse. My guess is reverse completes the circuit. If so, i need to intercept that circuit and ground in permanently and hook up through a factory toggle switch. We have found the source for the OEM polaris dash switches and we'll be offering both two packs and three packs at SlingMods. I'll post a video on how to intercept the backup camera and install to one of the factory switches.

·
Registered
17 Posts
2 ways. Go to Napa Auto, they sell a wireless camera, manually controlled or hot wire the back up camera to the ignition switch, as was told to me by my mech. Why look at where you been instead of where you going,HA HA?

·
Registered
289 Posts
don't know if this works on the 2015, my 2016 if you are in reverse and shut down to ACC then back to ON and start the cam will stay on. you will however lose your music, but the cam is on if that's what you want.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts