Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
GFL with that. Are you sure you understand the geometry of the SS?

Reactions: Stan

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand the risk factor. But the "cool" factor is way more important

·
Registered
434 Posts
You just got to let some people learn the hard way.
I just hope he doesn't kill someone else in the wreck.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The hard way....really. and what, this is coming from experience from any of you!? Geeze give a novice a break you self proclaimed ss know-it-all's

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
The hard way....really. and what, this is coming from experience from any of you!? Geeze give a novice a break you self proclaimed ss know-it-all's
No offense, we're just say'n....

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
You just got to let some people learn the hard way.
I just hope he doesn't kill someone else in the wreck.

I wouldn't say that awkward rear tire would kill someone, but I am almost positive it wouldn't be such a good idea. :facepalm:

Good experiment to see how much the traction control system gets messed up with a different rear tire. Let us know what happens; if you find one that fits and someone that will install it for you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Worst case, he discovers the tire can't handle turns worth a damn in any weather or maybe even dry roads. Knowing is half the battle, and if he's willing to alter the driving to compensate then I say God Bless, Good Luck, Stay Safe... and yeah it would kind of look badass even if I wouldn't do it myself :p

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yea, it makes perfect sense to me to think that a rounded motorcycle tire with a ground contact area of maybe 2-3" wide would have as much traction or better traction as a flat tread car tire with a contact area of 10" wide and would obviously hold the road better in a curve since they are designed to hold the road while leaning into a curve.
Doesn't a Slingshot lean into curves?
And lastly the motorcycle tire would have as much traction in a emergency stop situation or hold the road as good in a emergency acceleration situation as a car tire.
And that rounded motorcycle tire would be fantastic in an emergency lane change maneuver. I'm sure that 2-3" contact area will stick to the road like glue.
Hence my comment, emergency lane change, back end loses traction, comes around to say "HI" and see what all the excitement is, and the oncoming car with children in the back gets to check out that fantastic looking rounded rear tire since it will be in their lane.
But i'm not an engineer or anything, so i am most likely wrong and definitely nothing but a dumb azz.
Let me know how it works out for you.:smuggrin:

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Just run it with 5-10 lbs of air pressure so you have a bigger contact patch. :jawdrop: Problem solved. :cigar:

·
Registered
111 Posts
That tire is round made for motorclycles. The contact patch width is about 4 inches or so. The rest of the tire is made for hitting curves. You need a flat tire.
But if u want it to look cool go for it. We can't be all the same . A lot of us will customize our rides different from others and some will have great ideas and some will just suck. But to each its own. We all work hard for this

·
Registered
792 Posts
Anyone know if the rear tire can accept a locking lug nut? Looks like a typical automotive-style 5-lug setup in the pic
image.jpg

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Yeah, they'll probably be in big demand from kids wanting to saw the centers out to make slingshots.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts