Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered hawk hp275s.594 brake pads.....if you try these you only get 2 pads...you have to buy 2 sets...but that aside these things locked up abs while I was burnishing them......finally great brakes...well lets hope so..the pedal is lower because pad is thinner but this calipers seem to work better when the piston is out more...hence lower pedal...hum...weird....do we know what this calipers are yet...they seen a little cheap....anyways I got good brakes....

·
2,333 Posts

If you order from DDM Works they provide 3 sets for the SLingshot so no need to over order ....

The pads you listed are the "Race" compound so watch your stock rotors for wear and glazing, typically these pads are pretty noisy and never reach optimal operating temperature on the street .. the Hawk 5.0's give similar braking performance on the SLingshot, are easier on the rotors, actually a little thicker than stock, and have a lower optimal operational temperature but still need to be used aggressively every once in a while or paired with slotted rotors to avoid glazing.

The calipers have never been able to be identified, thoughts are they are manufactured for Polaris, probably originally for their electric cars offered overseas ....

...... :bag:

·
Registered
72 Posts
That number is for the Hawk HT-10. A little less aggressive and expensive than the Street Race HB 275 R.620. Love them. I haven’t had any problems with rotors. Ddm doesn’t sell the HT-10’s. But they do sell the Street Race that I use. Don’t get me wrong - Ddm’s great. I have at least 10k in their products on my sling. But their pretty proud of their 3 wheel pad setups. You can buy 2 wheel packs of Hawk street race pads off Amazon for $87.50. Not sure why you would spend $170 for 3. You can always sell the extra to a guy like me that only did the front axel.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yep. That's the Hawk HP-10 compound. P/N is HB275S.594 or HB275S.620. Also sold here at Slingmods. Polaris Slingshot High Performance Brake Pads by Hawk
The Hawk Street Race aka DTC-30 compound is P/N HB275R.620. Sold here at DDM. Slingshot Upgraded Hawk Brake Pads
DDM sells 3 different Hawk compounds. Hawk Ceramic P/N HB275Z.620, Hawk Street 5.0 P/N HB275B.620, and the ones I use Hawk Street Race (DTC-30) HB275R.620. Here's a performance chart that shows the difference between the HT-10 & Street Race (as well as their other compounds designed for high performance driving).
upload_2018-12-20_10-15-52.png
upload_2018-12-20_10-26-55.png

The HT-10 has a much higher coefficient of friction when they are hot (continuous duty - track driving). But the Street Race does better cold and when they have a chance to cool between cycles. It's all in how you intend to drive. Note: The Street 5.0 sold by DDM is labeled HPS 5.0 on the graph. All of the part numbers for the sling will be the same HB275_.620. The _ will be a different compound corresponding to the chart above. I used to have a chart linking the letters to the compound but misplaced it somehow. Anyway - glad you like the HT-10's. That's what really matters. This is just some guidance for those who care to use it.

....... :bag: HUH???

Attachments

·
Vendor
642 Posts
Not really sure why the HT-10's keep getting recommended. For the Slingshot they really are not a great option, at 100F they have almost no coefficient of friction and do not really get in their operating range until over 400F and hit their peak around 800F. On a typical street driven slingshot it is very hard to get the pads even close to 400F for a couple reasons. Pad options like the HPS, Hawk 5.0, street race, etc have a much higher coefficient of friction in the operating range of most Slingshots and will perform better.

Hawk Pad Compounds.jpg

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not sure where you got your $170 # but I just spend $125 on Hawk 5.0 pads from DDM. They haven't been installed yet due to weather & medical appointments but will circle back with a more full report after they've been installed and bedded in.
The Hawk 5.0 pads and Hawk Street Race pads are two different parts with 2 different prices. On the same page that you bought the Hawk 5.0’s. Use the pull down under “choose your pads” to get to Street Race pads (it adds $55 to the base price of $115). The Street Race pads are $87.50 for a two wheel set on Amazon. $5 to get another pair of pads that I can probably sell here for $30. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MZN59AQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_hnfhCbW31K63J
Amazon has the 5.0 pads you purchased for $55 per 2 wheel set. You spent $15 more to get one less pair of pads.
Amazon.com: Hawk HB275B.620 Brake Pad (1997-1997 Acura CL 2.2 HPS 5.0 Front): Automotive

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Dave this is a official statement from hawk talking about the best pad for Slingshot
We have done extensive testing on the Sling Shot. The reason we have not come to market with a solution, is that our pad shape is not a direct replacement.
It does fit in the caliper, and does provide significant stopping power, but the pad shape requires some additional modifications to fit correctly.
We have been testing with our Hawk Part number:---( HB275S.620)----- This compound is our Motorsports compound HT10. This is a very aggressive pad with tremendous initial bite and pedal modulation. After testing all our compounds this was the pad that produced the best results for increased stopping power and brake modulation. Many people are purchasing HPS 5.0 . It is the best solution for spirited driving, and low dusts. The HT 10 is a true motorsports compound, it will be aggressive on the rotors and have additional brake dust.
The part number for HPS 5.0 is HB275B.620. This is also a more cost effective solution.
Of all the compounds we offer, I would recommend either of these two. If you wanted to reduce dust and the same stopping power of HPS 5.0 you would purchase our Performance Ceramic compound, Part Number HB275Z.620.
The modification that is necessary for perfect fitment is a slight trimming of the tabs and bottom of the pad for clearance. It is not recommend to install these pads in the Sling Shot. Without the proper trimming of the pad listed above, you could create clearance issues, braking issues and damage. There are many companies that can professional trim these pads for exact fitment.
Many Sling Shot owners have used the stock pad as a template to ensure proper fitment. Porterfield Brake http://porterfield-brakes.com has made an entire business out of using donor pads to create the proper pad shape and fitment. Even though there is little modification needed, I would recommend having a professional service make the appropriate modifications to the pad.
I have read on the forum that people are not grinding the backing plate, and are installing the pads directly. This is not recommend. It may look like they drop into the caliper, but in many cases there will not be the proper float in the pads. With out the proper float you can create excessive heat, stiction, brake failure and damage to your braking system.
Hawk Perfromance is working on creating a Sling Shot specific Part number that will be direct replacement. When we have this completed we will update the forum and motorcycle industry.
Please be sure to post my name and title with the post.
Todd Romano
Managing Director
Hawk Performance/Finish Line Marketing
………………………………………………………...it says HB275S.620 is what they recommend....I got the .594s......night and day difference ….there awesome....who cares if I eat rotors every 15k mi....OEM cycles sells.ebc on amazon... direct replacments MD533 for slingshots for $52 ea...to your door....pads $52 per wheel...only did fronts...very happy...
-chuck
View attachment 173061 [/QUOTE]

·
2,333 Posts

When you purchase the pads from DDM they have already been modified ...... DDM was doing this before Hawk even knew what a Polaris Slingshot was.

........ ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

When you purchase the pads from DDM they have already been modified ...... DDM was doing this before Hawk even knew what a Polaris Slingshot was.

........ ;)

...Hey Orangeman.....what do you mean by saying there modified......do you mean removing the low pad brake tang...or are they removing material on the edge of the pad....thanks for all your info in the past posts....has helped me dealing with this crazy/awesome machine....

·
Registered
72 Posts
@slinghigh Thank you for contacting Hawk to get a clarification. Based on his response that they don’t make a direct replacement, does anyone else find it dangerously irresponsible for Hawk to label their data sheets with the Slingshot? Bottom right
upload_2018-12-26_21-23-18.jpeg

·
Vendor
642 Posts
...Hey Orangeman.....what do you mean by saying there modified......do you mean removing the low pad brake tang...or are they removing material on the edge of the pad....thanks for all your info in the past posts....has helped me dealing with this crazy/awesome machine....
There are a couple little tabs that stick up on the back of the tab that have to be ground down. Pretty simple to do and modify, the sets we sell are for all 3 wheels and are already modified ready to install, we figured it out very early and have been installing and selling those pads for years now with excellent feedback.

Hope that helps,
Dave

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There are a couple little tabs that stick up on the back of the tab that have to be ground down. Pretty simple to do and modify, the sets we sell are for all 3 wheels and are already modified ready to install, we figured it out very early and have been installing and selling those pads for years now with excellent feedback.

Hope that helps,
Dave
thanks dave…..yeah these this HB275s.620/594 don't have tangs or nipples on them...just flat no shim even....just a pad

1 - 15 of 15 Posts