Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure many people like myself and going to be adding aftermarket items that require a toggle switch to work correctly. Items like lighting kits, stereo, backup cameras, Canadian lights, radar detectors, NO2, spikes, smokes, etc., etc.... For a clean look, I plan on filling the 3 just right of the flasher switch.

My question is about the Polaris switches that can be ordered to replace the current blank plugs.

Can someone (Kip or Chris) tell me the MSRP on these?

4013887SWITCH, ESP, SPST, NO, MOM
http://parts.polarisind.com/Assemblies.asp

And can anyone tell me if these are a universal size? I am hoping that many aftermarket switches are the right size and will snap right in.

Also, anyone what ESP, SPST, NO, & MOM stand for above on the Polaris part description?

Any insight is appreciated....

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
4013887SWITCH, ESP, SPST, NO, MOM
http://parts.polarisind.com/Assemblies.asp

And can anyone tell me if these are a universal size? I am hoping that many aftermarket switches are the right size and will snap right in.

Also, anyone what ESP, SPST, NO, & MOM stand for above on the Polaris part description?
Oh my word. @TravAZ, you don't want to know...

Basically, you're looking for a two way switch to fit the blanks that are on the SS already, correct?

Well... part #40113187 is, and this is according to Polaris: $59.99. That switch is the Electonic Stability Program on/of for the vehicle monitoring system.
Now, to compare, the hazard light switch (#4011318) is $39.99.

I'm not quite sure what extra technology is packed into the ESP switch, since it basically is an on/off trigger, other than there is also more tech packed into the ESP system. It's one of the more comprehensive ESPs on the market right now, and it's basically a small computer doing wheel checks, acceleration monitoring, and vehicle handling monitoring a bajillion times a second while you're driving. (I'm in the camp that the SS will handle better with the ESP on, but that's beside the point at hand.)

If anything, a repainted hazard switch may be more of an option to your liking. The ESP switch does have graphics on it, despite what the fiche shows, but if all you're looking for is a simple on off to something low amperage, that switch might do you better.

·
Registered
70 Posts
SPST = Single Pole, Single Throw. Google the phrase for a better explanation.
NO = Normally open
MOM = momentary.
Not sure about ESP.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'll probably be joining you in a search for switches that fit that panel. Stand by, once I have access to real hardware I don't expect it to be very hard to find good switches. You will pay $5-$10 for weatherproof probably.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
SPST = Single Pole, Single Throw. Google the phrase for a better explanation.
NO = Normally open
MOM = momentary.
Not sure about ESP.
Thank you for the additional clarifications, David.

BTW, you can see the ESP switch down by the shift pattern plate in the pic above.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I also check the price with my dealer and about fell out when he said over $59! I have several web sites saved with waterproof illuminated mini rocker switches. My first project will be to remove the plug and measure the size of the opening, so I can get an order out. I was surprised to see how many different sizes there are! An illuminated switch runs about $9, while a plain is about $8. Just be sure it is "waterproof"!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I checked the manual today, and it turns out the ESP switch isn't a simple on/off. If you press it once, it releases back to the on position and disables traction. If you press and hold it for five seconds, it releases back and disables all ESP sensors. If you have disabled any of these, pressing the switch again will re-enable the ESP. From what I can tell in the manual, it doesn't stay in any kind of an "off" position, but still allows the driver to toggle any of these sets of codes in the traction system.
I think this is so that the ESP will always remain on at start, until disabled by the driver.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Nerd mode:
The switch is just a momentary normally open switch. Which means that when you press it, whatever is reading it can tell it is pressed. When you release it, it returns to the same state it was. This is the opposite of a light switch. If you flip a light switch, it stays flipped.

All the special functions you mention are done by the computer that reads the switch state. So when you press it, the computer starts counting how long you hold it pressed it and decides what to do when you release it.

In short, probably not what you want for accessories, you probably want a switch that is not momentary.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also check the price with my dealer and about fell out when he said over $59! I have several web sites saved with waterproof illuminated mini rocker switches. My first project will be to remove the plug and measure the size of the opening, so I can get an order out. I was surprised to see how many different sizes there are! An illuminated switch runs about $9, while a plain is about $8. Just be sure it is "waterproof"!
Please share the good websites you have found that have a selection of these switches.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually the footwell light is blue/off/white.
Is there a part number and a price for that switch? I like the idea of having two colors and having them wired to one switch.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Is there a part number and a price for that switch? I like the idea of having two colors and having them wired to one switch.
As far as I know that's not in the fiche yet since it is an accessory part not available stock on any model. I've seen the switch, and it does install separately of the lighting kit.
See more here: http://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/welcome-to-the-polaris-slingshot-electronics-forum.753/#post-15969

If Polaris released the kit instructions, I would know more, but these aren't published yet either.

Edit: Actually, I just checked the kit contents when looking up the part number in the dealer portal, and those numbers are available to look up now. It turns out the switch is #4015097 (SWITCH-INTERIOR LIGHT,SPDT), but there is no further information on this part at the time.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Please share the good websites you have found that have a selection of these switches.

Thanks!
Radio Shack: NTE54-220W, NTE54-231W and on Amazon, Gama Electronics - waterproof mini on/off illuminated rocker switch.
It is hard to find ones the actually give the cut out size need. Two of these three give them.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am really hoping that these switches are standard size: mounting hole 1.41"(36mm) x .86"(22mm)

If so, the below selection of switches will work perfect for what I am trying to do....

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I5FTUDU?psc=1

• IP66 Enclosure - IP rated as "dust tight" and protected against heavy seas or powerful jets of water.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts