Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m a disabled vet..wheelchair bound and would have a hard time getting in,so if someone has one already modded in a manner I feel comfortable with I would be interested..that said MY main interest is in a fully converted auto turbo sling....
So in order of interest..
1) handicap accessible ..
2) auto trans conversions ..
3)..main goal a completely finished auto conversion with a turbo kit ....

Thks..

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
As I posted in the Alpha vs Hahn turbo thread, there haven't been a whole lot of Slingshots converted to automatic transmission, so they are a pretty rare breed as far as resale concerned.
The only firms now offering auto conversion (that I'm aware of) are DDM Works (in SC) (also does turbos and SCs), Bullet Speed & Design (FL), Cycle Springs (installs the Bullet Speed conversion and may still do boosted setups, too) and Performance Autowerks (IL) (auto trans and SC/TC installs). They may also have relationships with other firms around the nation that can do the conversion, so your best bet os to contact each company for info. You might even ask them about mods to accommodate your specific needs.
Converting to an auto trans, not to mention adding boost, will pretty much cancel any warranty coverage since so many systems might be impacted, so buying a used Slingshot to mod may be your best bet. A typical turbo install will probably run between $5-8K and an auto trans conversion will probably also run about the same. Finding a used turbo-equipped Slingshot should save some money as most accessories don't return more than about half their cost max. Finding a good used Slingshot will probably cost around $15-22K depending on year/model and accessories plus the cost of whatever you still need added. With luck and patience, you should find a decent turbo'd Slingshot for around $18-22K and then figure another $10-12K or so for the automatic trans conversion and access mods such as a lift, removable steering wheel, etc.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thks..
Yeah I figured used was probably best..
As I know DDM just did rabtech’s turbo auto a few days ago with great results I’m leaning that way if I can’t find a project that’s already done like his is..

I think I’m going to ask the dealer if they will bring a sling to my home,so I can use a sling I have and connect it to a over head lift I have in the garage to pick me up out of my wheelchair and allow me to get into it and go for a test drive as a passage first to see how I feel with the physical challenges i have to deal with ...as by heart longs for that 200mph feeling I once enjoyed on my busa ,yet I know my body may fail me..:)

Appreciate your advice and info ....

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
I recall someone developing some kind of hoist to lift someone from a chair into the Slingshot, but forum rule forbid posting the link to a different forum here. Google "handicap accessible polaris slingshot".
Don't know where you're located, but Performance AutoWerks in Illinois seems to have the longest record with automatic conversions. DDM Works, though, has a track record for innovation on these motors and the Slingshot and Rabtech's reliance on them speaks well of their efforts. BulletSpeed & Design also has a multi-year record of work on the Slingshot. Just be sure to research how the conversion is done. DDm Works claims the hardest part of converting to an automatic is properly integrating the Cruise Control with the auto trans and the ECU.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I couldn’t drive without Cruise control ..
I’ve also just been using the console shifter in my turbo truck, and practicing as if it had a motorcycle clutch handle attach to it..I’ve found out it’s doable But turning hard right at a light from a stop becomes extremely difficult with hand controls...
If I attached the clutch handle to the hand controls ,and used a push button shifter on the steering wheel it would work...
The down side turns out a Electric shifter for a clutch can become astronomical expensive if you want any sort of automatic abilities ,as I believe 4 of the five system are no longer produce ...I spoke to a engineer who own and develop the biggest seller ,who said even some of the best tuners had difficulties in setting up the system ,and it became too much for him to handle alone..while he still offers service and trouble shooting to those who have it ,he won’t ever sell it again.
So i think it could be done with a Tip-Tronic Box which has simple controls to shift up or down as used on street bikes for rides who can’t shift with their feet if it comes t that..

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
Performance AutoWerks offers a variety of options from a standard shift lever to paddle-shifters and a Cruise Control. You'd need to check with them about how they implement the CC.
@RABTECH's auto trans from DDM Works uses a touchpad gear changer.He just posted about hos most recent visit to DDM Works and how they spent a day tweaking how it shifts and how happy he is with their efforts. Google "rabtech slingshot on the road again".
Bullet Speed & Design is known fro their Slingshot Tops, four wheel conversion and other mods.
I'd think that any of these companies could provide a reliable solution to at least the automatic transmission portion of your needs.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I am with BKL and would suggest getting in contact with the several that have a good track record listed above and go tight the one that you feel most comfortable with. I would choose on the side of past history rather than one that is closest as the shipping cost will seem small compared to issues down the line and trying to correct them. In the past I have found the owners of both DDM and Bullet Speed and Design have been more then happy to personally walk you through the conversion including what it will cost and how long it will take...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a 2016 slingshot for sale. Hahn 2x turbo with sidepipes. No auto conversion but I think it would be a great starting point. Only 12k miles and 5k miles on turbo. Its vinyl wrapped but is dark gray underneath. Asking 20k.

I’m a disabled vet..wheelchair bound and would have a hard time getting in,so if someone has one already modded in a manner I feel comfortable with I would be interested..that said MY main interest is in a fully converted auto turbo sling....
So in order of interest..
1) handicap accessible ..
2) auto trans conversions ..
3)..main goal a completely finished auto conversion with a turbo kit ....

Thks..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts