Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day fellow Slingshot Riders,

I own a 2016 SL LE. It's currently at my dealer to deal with a recall, and replace the knock sensor as indicated by a check engine code thrown. This was August 2019. We've been attempting to obtain a new part from Polaris, and have had no luck due to being "backordered". I've contacted Polaris, parts distribution out of Kansas City I believe, opened a case, but they keep telling me the same thing, and increasing the time by a month each month I call. I've searched a few places on line, but they just get their parts from Polaris, so they're suffering the same fate as me. I've opened a Better Business Bureau case against Polaris as of today to just try and get their attention. Can anyone recommend any other actions to be taken to resolve this? I'm ready to go back to the dealer and just get the vehicle and drive it, and have them contact me when they can get their hands on the part, because it seems to drive just fine. I just don't relish driving around with a check engine light on, not knowing if a 2nd issue creeps in. What say you fellow forum members? And thank you for taking the time to read.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Start calling your GM dealers and ask if they have one for the 2.4 Ecotec. I found one a oouple years ago for my 16.5 at Buick dealer. About $27........my dealer installed it under warranty while waiting for Polaris to send them one!

·
Vendor
639 Posts
It is just a GM sensor and a lot of people have bought them from advance Autoparts, autozone, etc. we have a couple extra back at the shop I would be happy to send you. I am currently flying to Las Vegas for the 2020 Slingshot reveal tonight, but will be back on Thursday. If you want to give us a call on Thursday I can get you the part number or get one sent to you. Give us a call DDMWorks 864-438-4949

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is just a GM sensor and a lot of people have bought them from advance Autoparts, autozone, etc. we have a couple extra back at the shop I would be happy to send you. I am currently flying to Las Vegas for the 2020 Slingshot reveal tonight, but will be back on Thursday. If you want to give us a call on Thursday I can get you the part number or get one sent to you. Give us a call DDMWorks 864-438-4949
What an awesome community. I will get back with you if I don't find one locally

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
What an awesome community. I will get back with you if I don't find one locally

My knock sensor throws a code about every month. I bought a new one, but never had it installed (too much $$ for labor). I got tired of going in to have the code reset every few weeks (my dealer does it for free) so I just ride with the light on. The engine runs fine with the code showing. As long as you use 92 or higher octane, you’re not going to get any knock and the engine will be fine. Just check the codes from time to time to be sure no new codes are being sent.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
OK, this is very curious, where last May I contacted our nearest dealer about replacing the knock sensor. I was advised that they would need to "find" one where we did discuss possibly purchasing one locally from a GM dealer. Less than a week later the dealer called me back to inform me that they had one in hand, though I did not inquire from where they obtained it from. But this makes me wonder if this is actually more of a problem with your dealer rather than with Polaris themselves?

Bill

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, this is very curious, where last May I contacted our nearest dealer about replacing the knock sensor. I was advised that they would need to "find" one where we did discuss possibly purchasing one locally from a GM dealer. Less than a week later the dealer called me back to inform me that they had one in hand, though I did not inquire from where they obtained it from. But this makes me wonder if this is actually more of a problem with your dealer rather than with Polaris themselves?

Bill
excellent question. I think the problem is Polaris because I contacted Polaris directly and open the case with them and they advised me of the back order so I can only assume the dealer is receiving the same response

·
Registered
6 Posts
My knock sensor throws a code about every month. I bought a new one, but never had it installed (too much $$ for labor). I got tired of going in to have the code reset every few weeks (my dealer does it for free) so I just ride with the light on. The engine runs fine with the code showing. As long as you use 92 or higher octane, you’re not going to get any knock and the engine will be fine. Just check the codes from time to time to be sure no new codes are being sent.
I had what I thought was a bad knock sensor.I replaced mine myself with a GM knock sensor from Napa. It was easy to do after pulling off the intake manifold. It did not solve the problem I finally figured out my LED halos around my headlights flash and strobe and it was affecting the knock sensor. I change the speed of the flashing strobes and the knock sensor immediately cleared. no more problems so if you're running LEDs that strobe and flutter they could be at a frequency that affects your knock sensor.

·
Registered
11 Posts

I own a 2016 SL LE. It's currently at my dealer to deal with a recall, and replace the knock sensor as indicated by a check engine code thrown. This was August 2019. We've been attempting to obtain a new part from Polaris, and have had no luck due to being "backordered". I've contacted Polaris, parts distribution out of Kansas City I believe, opened a case, but they keep telling me the same thing, and increasing the time by a month each month I call. I've searched a few places on line, but they just get their parts from Polaris, so they're suffering the same fate as me. I've opened a Better Business Bureau case against Polaris as of today to just try and get their attention. Can anyone recommend any other actions to be taken to resolve this? I'm ready to go back to the dealer and just get the vehicle and drive it, and have them contact me when they can get their hands on the part, because it seems to drive just fine. I just don't relish driving around with a check engine light on, not knowing if a 2nd issue creeps in. What say you fellow forum members? And thank you for taking the time to read.
i

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also have a 2016 SS..knock sensor code popped up late October..put it in shop for the fuse box recall and knock sensor and I just got it back last week...not really complaining because I live in New England and the season was over anyway but If it was in the spring or summer I would have been going nuts.Polaris supposedly just got the sensors in...I was charged $ 126 for the replacement which I thought was very reasonable..good luck hope you get it fixed soon

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to sum my experience up, I did receive the part you sent Dave, and rather quickly I might add, but didn't have to use it, and thank goodness, as they were going to make me sign a waiver to install it, indicating they were not responsible for any damage. Right as I was bringing it to them, they tell me the part from Polaris has arrived. I had it installed within days. I was quite pissed when they returned my SS to me full of leaves, dirt, and water had penetrated the storage bins. Next time unless I have to, I'll be keeping her in the garage until they're ready to work on it, and I'll stay with it. In the mean time, they're filing a case with Polaris to replace the compartment seal and my helmet which was inside, soaked, and smelled like foot and ass.

·
Vendor
639 Posts
Just to sum my experience up, I did receive the part you sent Dave, and rather quickly I might add, but didn't have to use it, and thank goodness, as they were going to make me sign a waiver to install it, indicating they were not responsible for any damage. Right as I was bringing it to them, they tell me the part from Polaris has arrived. I had it installed within days. I was quite pissed when they returned my SS to me full of leaves, dirt, and water had penetrated the storage bins. Next time unless I have to, I'll be keeping her in the garage until they're ready to work on it, and I'll stay with it. In the mean time, they're filing a case with Polaris to replace the compartment seal and my helmet which was inside, soaked, and smelled like foot and ass.
Glad you are back up and running, but very sorry to hear about all you went through to get there.

If there is anything else we can help you with in the future, just let us know, at least you are back on the road :)

Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts