Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it all speculation until we all get our hands on them but this should be considered.

lets face it we all want to mod this every and any way we can to get the most of it. With it being so light (yet long) that we may need to put a wheelie bar. At the same time Im thinking that the distance from front to rear tire that we should be OK I hope.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'm no expert but I'd say only with enough power, and a drag tire to get it to the ground, that it would destroy the transmission.

The SS is so long and the CG so low that it's going to take extreme acceleration to transfer all of the weight to the rear wheel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Duh. *face palm* The way that the transmission is placed it acts as a center of gravity, and the driveshaft spins that torque is a different direction than the tire... If you (and this is hypothetical) take the rear belt and lengthen it to replace the driveshaft somehow then maybe and just maybe it "could" happen; given enough hp:torque ratio...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, there's no technical foundation for that statement.

CG is a point in space that depends only on the mass distribution of all of the components.
Yes ik this. As a whole the transmission is connected to the motor and all of the motor and transmission are BOLTED the the car AS A WHOLE!! The weight is then distributed throughout the entire car. Therefore if you look at the pics on the polaris website with just the wheels frame and complete drive tran you can see that you (the driver) sit right next the transmission. The transmission therfore acts as a point of gravity to keep it from flipping.

On top of all of the above, the SS had a driveshaft that takes the enegy (torque) and spins it horizontally left to right whereas the belt spins it vertically. And this where I restate my previous where you take out the driveshaft form the above post.

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Regardless, you would need a one rear wheeled top fuel Dragstershot to make it happen. THAT would be BADASS - I am counting on you Turbosling or you 4Nines to get this done. Post up the drawings once you get it down on paper. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It would be BA and I to am looking forward to what they will do. But watching it would like an old American muscle lifting off the line on the green light

·
Registered
702 Posts
Sorry again, but that's nonsense; you'll find nothing to support what you've said in any engineering literature.

The CG may be at the trans, but that doesn't make it act as anything.

You could remove the trans and place a circle of weights around the hole such that they have the same mass and CG as the trans.

But the CG is in the hole, and a hole can't do or act as anything, yet the vehicle has the same CG and tipover resistance.

Yes ik this. As a whole the transmission is connected to the motor and all of the motor and transmission are BOLTED the the car AS A WHOLE!! The weight is then distributed throughout the entire car. Therefore if you look at the pics on the polaris website with just the wheels frame and complete drive tran you can see that you (the driver) sit right next the transmission. The transmission therfore acts as a point of gravity to keep it from flipping.

On top of all of the above, the SS had a driveshaft that takes the enegy (torque) and spins it horizontally left to right whereas the belt spins it vertically. And this where I restate my previous where you take out the driveshaft form the above post.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can tell you take things way to literally. What I said is true for this vehicle. As such if you lift a truck the center of gravity charges. The word act is used to place the action that transmission is doing in place of said weights. Just how I can say your weights ACT as a CG in place of the transmission. Im no engineer but I do know a bit in physics.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And it seems you like to right a lot...

I was thinking of how all the components work together to keep it for flipping. Plus I also started this was all hypothetical...

·
Registered
47 Posts
With something like 70% of the weight being over the front wheels I don't think you will ever get enough traction without a huge incredibly sticky rear tire and a ton of power to make it wheelie.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts