Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mitchel Sellers of Ankeny sits in his new Polaris Slingshot for the first time Monday at Van Wall Powersports in Indianola. Sellers is one of the first Iowa buyers of the machine, which is manufactured in Spirit Lake
(Photo: MICHAEL ROLANDS/INDIANOLA RECORD-HERALD)​

December 1, 2014
Mitchel Sellers of Ankeny fell in love with the Polaris Slingshot SL when he saw it in a teaser video released by the company months ago.

That dream became reality Monday at Van Wall in Indianola when he picked up his red three-wheeled vehicle, among the first sold in Iowa.

Andy Kyner, a salesman at Van Wall, said the Indianola dealership is one of only four in Iowa carrying the new Slingshots, which are manufactured in Spirit Lake.

Indianola received two cars, one a base model that's being used for test drives, and the other the SL that was sold to Seller.

Only eight cars were distributed in Iowa in the Tier 1 shipment of the new model.

The Slingshot, which is registered as a motorcycle, has a 2.4-liter Chevrolet engine.

Read more at: The Des Moines Register: Around the Metro

·
Registered
291 Posts
Nice. @ Mitch - do you have a Slingshot polo shirt on? :)

BTW, 'DrumsofGrohl' is just an awesome screen name. I've been a drummer for 40 years and appreciate Mr. Grohl. See my avatar of Papa Emeritus II of the incredible band Ghost B.C. Dave Grohl produced their recent EP.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
@Swinglo funnily enough I was wearing a Raptor Assault shirt....which was amused a few people.

It was sure a production when I went to pick it up. Some were amazed at the vehicles, others were amazed that I was driving it home 34 miles in 14 degree weather.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yea, I would be amazed too.
14 degrees?
As you pulled out in the road, i would have said...."dumbass".
But, I am saying that from here, where it is currently 74, but then again, I don't have mine to drive, so you are still 1 up on me, LOL

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW, 'DrumsofGrohl' is just an awesome screen name. I've been a drummer for 40 years and appreciate Mr. Grohl. See my avatar of Papa Emeritus II of the incredible band Ghost B.C. Dave Grohl produced their recent EP.
Thats awesome. Ya Grohl has found a way to remain relevant for a ridiculously long period of time.

@MitchS 14 Degrees?!?! Thats insane! That being said, how was the drive. I'm guessing you were outfitted appropriately, but would you say you'd drive it around in that weather again?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I posted a bit of a review on here the other day. I wouldn't ride in 14 again....but it wasn't staying at the dealership any longer either.

I've put about 100 miles on it though since Monday as it warmed up to the mid 30's and at that temperature it isn't bad at all with good gloves, jacket, and helmet.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Nice publicity Mitch! Way to go!!!

I noticed they kept calling it a car but they did say that it's registered as a motorcycle at least.

And the sales guy told them that they were one of only four dealers in Iowa? I'm not sure how many there really are all together but I know of five.....damn sales guys always have to lie about something!! :)

Van Wall - Indianola
Olsen's - Atlantic
R/J Performance - Ottumwa
Mason City Powersports - Mason City
Full Throttle - Council Bluffs

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Yeah, the editing is not so good.....it was all Van Wall's idea. I get there and they were like hope its ok that someone from the paper is here.

The "4" number is for Tier 1 dealers. Mason City is a Tier 2 dealer from my understanding.

Also, funnily enough R/J even though announcing they had 3 apparently only got 2......

·
Registered
186 Posts
It was a smart move on their part I guess....free publicity. But it was pretty shitty that they didn't talk to you about it first.
Where did it come from that R/J got three? I read a post on here that said that so I talked to them right after that and they said they didn't knwo where that came from...they only got two.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
R/J actually sent a mass email to their "Slinghot interested list" and noted that they had three......then quickly redacted that when anyone asked.

·
Registered
186 Posts
R/J actually sent a mass email to their "Slinghot interested list" and noted that they had three......then quickly redacted that when anyone asked.
Oh OK. I'm not on that list. I've just been talking to them via email. That does surprise me based on my dealings with them. I hope that was just an honest mistake by someone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts