Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Hey everybody I'm new to the whole slingshot i was l thinking about purchasing one I really want to know if it's reliable
Welcome
"you can not buy this much fun for $20G's"
"It is like driving a Indy or Formula 1 car on the street"

"Life is Short" Go 4 It
"The Only 100% Reliable Thing In Life = Death!"
.......................................................... tom n carol

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Is the SlingShot reliable? Well, that depends on your personal definition of "reliable?" Has our SlingShot been the perfect machine with no issues? Absolutely not! Has it ever left us stranded any where? Nope! The SlingShot is a whole new concept and teething problems should be expected. Is the angle drive and/or belt noisy? Around 35-45 MPH, yep! Is it comfortable? Not entirely! Do you get wet in the rain? Yep, but if you keep moving you can stay remarkably dry. A helmet with bluetooth intercom installed takes care of any need for a more powerful stereo. Mushy brakes issue is easily corrected with proper bleeding. Are you beginning to get the picture? :smug:

Here is a personal list of issues we're going to take our SlingShot into the dealer for as soon as we have a stretch of good weather for it is a 280 mile jaunt round trip:

Headlight Recall
Double nut the rear axle, (though the original nut has never moved.)
Faulty fuel quantity, (Gauge? Sending Unit? Other?)
Updated ECU tune
Steering glitch, (has occurred only twice in the year we have owned it and easily reset. but it would be nice if we can entirely eliminate the "problem.")
Installing the heat kit, maybe?

Yes, these are items that could be a problem down the road, but not a single one of these will keep you from getting home. Helping getting the bugs worked out is just part of operating a prototype machine such as the SlingShot. If this works for you, the SlingShot can be an awesomely fun machine, as it has been for us! :cool: If you are looking for a perfectly comfortable ride of perfection, then Justina and I would suggest you look down another path. :coldfeet:

Oh, the original windshield had rub points from the hood and the dealer has already replaced it free of charge, though we took the opportunity to install a Madstad windshield in which we are very happy with.

Oh, and another thing, always plan extra hours into your travel plans for you are going to get delayed every time you stop someplace with your SlingShot! :D

Enjoy your decision making! :)

Bill and Justina

·
Registered
296 Posts
Some complain and say that they are noisy but it's a bike, NOT a car. If you're coming from a bike background you'll have no issue with it. As to reliability, I have had no issues that my dealer didn't cause in 3800 miles.

·
Registered
873 Posts
If I took my purchase desicion on comments from the forum, I would never have bought one lol.

1 year in, almost 20k easy in mods, turbo forged engine etc, this is the most fun you can have legaly without using drugs.

Is it perfect? No. Not even close. Is it worth it? For me it is, even though I have spent more time working on it than I did riding it.

When I see lots of guys working so hard trying to get this machine like a car with huge windshields and complaining about the heat and noise, I wonder why they didn't just get a convertible. The SS is what it is, and I Love my SS for what it is, an unperfect lot of fun :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
13200 miles on mine since October been perfect

·
Registered
822 Posts
Cosmetically, take some time looking it over closely for visual defects, opening & closing the hood, etc. Some buyers have had apparent problems they could have avoided with a close look-see. Overall, mine has 15k miles with no mechanical problems.:D

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
New guy here. I saw the Slingshot commercials starting about a month ago and said "I have got to go check this out".

See, I've always loved MG's and Triumph's but never wanted to deal with the money pit nightmare they are.

So I researched and decided a 2016.5 LE Pearl White was the one. Picked it up two days ago and it's the only thing I have driven since I got it home. I absolutely love this thing. I've ridden sportbikes my whole life but what I love about the Sling is my girlfriend can sit next to me when we head to the mountains. It's totally different than a sportbike which lets face it, is not passenger friendly.

And to mirror what was said above,it grabs a boatload of attention. I have owned some nice machinery but nothing has garnered the kinds of looks and questions I get about this thing. And I sort of like that - it's unusual and cool.

And not totally surprising, chicks dig it. I have had more female MILF's in my area smile and wave at me while drive this thing than any car or bike I've ever owned.

I'm already looking at mods starting with cold air intake and header/pipe and will likely drop the dime for a turbo. It was reasonable enough in price that I can spend some more where I want.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
New guy here. I saw the Slingshot commercials starting about a month ago and said "I have got to go check this out".

See, I've always loved MG's and Triumph's but never wanted to deal with the money pit nightmare they are.

So I researched and decided a 2016.5 LE Pearl White was the one. Picked it up two days ago and it's the only thing I have driven since I got it home. I absolutely love this thing. I've ridden sportbikes my whole life but what I love about the Sling is my girlfriend can sit next to me when we head to the mountains. It's totally different than a sportbike which lets face it, is not passenger friendly.

And to mirror what was said above,it grabs a boatload of attention. I have owned some nice machinery but nothing has garnered the kinds of looks and questions I get about this thing. And I sort of like that - it's unusual and cool.

And not totally surprising, chicks dig it. I have had more female MILF's in my area smile and wave at me while drive this thing than any car or bike I've ever owned.

I'm already looking at mods starting with cold air intake and header/pipe and will likely drop the dime for a turbo. It was reasonable enough in price that I can spend some more where I want.
Sound like your on your way to a Great Slingshot experience.
14 months and I've put 28,500+ miles in the seat. Not to many mods....F4 5+ tinted windshield, rear hugger fender and the main things.

Get some 'seat' time in and than go for the mods you want...get to know the machine first.

Welcome to the World of Slingshot Insanity ...

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Had mine since last August. Have about 3000 miles and zero problems. LOVE IT, never use my Gold Wing anymore......
Sold my Wing shortly after bring the Slingshot home...Feb 2015 and have 28,500+ miles in the seat. Love it.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Sound like your on your way to a Great Slingshot experience.
14 months and I've put 28,500+ miles in the seat. Not to many mods....F4 5+ tinted windshield, rear hugger fender and the main things.

Get some 'seat' time in and than go for the mods you want...get to know the machine first.

Welcome to the World of Slingshot Insanity ...
Thanks brother. So far love this thing!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Have had my '16 white LE for a coupla months. Absolutely love this thing. Installed the JRI non adjustables and this thing flat rails the twisties now. Master cylinder brace also. That's it. The wife will not get out of the sling. She hated riding fast on the bikes, but doesn't care how fast I drive the Sling.
The Sling is what it is. Out of the box it is a ton of fun and that's what it is all about.
Took a buddy out yesterday who has had many top end sports cars but has never ridden a bike. He was like a little kid during our ride. I did my best to scare the heck out of him. FAIL! He loved how it railed the turns, the open cockpit, the sounds and smells and that it was like riding in a legal go cart! The Sling is not a car. That's what makes it so cool! There are things that need attention but the fun and cool factor trumps those things. I'm keeping mine!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts