Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody I'm new to the whole slingshot i was l thinking about purchasing one I really want to know if it's reliable

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would add to that and say as you search and read through this forum, be prepared to read posts of people having some problems. That doesn't mean they are unreliable. That just means someone ran into a problem and came here for help which is part of what this form is for. Myself I've had one for about 2 months now put about 1000 miles on it and no problems that I could not overcome

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Also keep in mind that people who experience problems are far more likely to post about it online compared to people who don't experience problems.
I have a 2015 Base model that I bought in late June 2015 and have almost 19,000 miles on it. I had some headlight problems, but the Polaris Headlight recall fix seems to have cleared everything up. Time will tell. I do have a clicking sound coming from the rear axle area that is supposedly related to a possible rear bearing problem. My warranty is still good for 14 more months so I expect to see if I have a rear bearing problem or not. If it hasn't shown up before my warranty expires, I may well purchase an extended warranty.
Check this thread - Slingshot Factory Extended Warranty 25% Member Discount!!!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have one since December 1st 2014
The only real problem I had was this crazy Oem ECU tune
But Bob with @MEFIburn fixed that.
Overall I am a happy camper.
You will find pretty much for every problem help
From this great forum with many very knowledgable members.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So far mine has been reliable but I have not owned it that long. I will say though, if you do not like noise you may want to steer clear. It is a blast to drive but they are NOISY. Hopefully you can go for a descent test drive o you can experiance before purchasing.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hey everybody I'm new to the whole slingshot i was l thinking about purchasing one I really want to know if it's reliable
Where are you located? Perhaps someone in your area will offer to take you for a ride.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Since Feb 2015 I have put 27,500+ miles on a 2015 and 2016 Slingshots, little trouble yes. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
424 Posts
So far mine has been reliable but I have not owned it that long. I will say though, if you do not like noise you may want to steer clear. It is a blast to drive but they are NOISY. Hopefully you can go for a descent test drive o you can experiance before purchasing.
Change out your rear gear oil with some royal purple and the noise level will drop by a lot...

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,816 Posts
I would say it's about the same as any other first generation product. I had one of the new Subaru WRX STi's when they came out with them and I had all kinds of headaches from brakes that were worn after 3000 miles to a turbo that was bad right from the get go. I'd say my 2016 SS has been less stressful to own than most other vehicles I have had.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It seems the plus 5 windshield is the way to go. True or false. It seems the others cause a visual issue looking Through

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,816 Posts
It seems the plus 5 windshield is the way to go. True or false. It seems the others cause a visual issue looking Through
I had the factory blade and it was good...not great. I just recently went with the Madstad 9" single blade and it's a night and day difference. I would say if you are in a colder state, the F4 +5 is the way to go. If you live in states that are warmer...Madstad all the way.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I had the factory blade and it was good...not great. I just recently went with the Madstad 9" single blade and it's a night and day difference. I would say if you are in a colder state, the F4 +5 is the way to go. If you live in states that are warmer...Madstad all the way.
You of course have to consider your preference of looking through or over the windshield. I live in MN, it gets pretty cold here. But I would rather look over the shield. Currently I am using the Polaris Blade, it works pretty darn good. But I will likely change to the madstad adjustable at some point.

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,816 Posts
You of course have to consider your preference of looking through or over the windshield. I live in MN, it gets pretty cold here. But I would rather look over the shield. Currently I am using the Polaris Blade, it works pretty darn good. But I will likely change to the madstad adjustable at some point.
The best thing about the Madstad is that it's adjustable up to 3 inches so you can lower it to look over or raise it and look through. I really wish I had gone that route from the get go.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Yes The SS is reliable!

Understand that many of the posts are from a small group of owners that have had issues, or are enthusiasts that may be a little picky about there SS, or may be inexperienced car owners trying to compare it to their Corvette or other car. With something around 15000 on the road and some driven very hard, there are going to be some issues. Any new vehicle has a few issues! Performance vehicle have a tendency to also have more issues! But all in all the SS is really pretty reliable!

But there are a lot of owners with significant miles on theirs with little or no issues.

I have over 8000 on my low production base (#164) and have had no significant issues at all!

Yes the angle drive whines..........but not too bad.......... yes, I took it in (drove it in) for both recalls .... but I have never have had it fail to start or drive! Some have had issues with leaking angle drives, failed rear bearings, steering issues, paint or finish quality but not really very many out of 15000 vehicles! Not bad for a new production performance vehicle!

Sometimes it get warm in the summer...... and I recently purchased the Polaris solution used on the later models to help solve that, but all bikes and convertible are warm in the summer heat! My SS has never been too hot to ride and enjoy it!

So all in all..... it is reliable, fast, fun and gets decent gas mileage too! It is also a real show stopper just driving it around!

Be prepared to engage is a lot of "SDF" (Slingshot Delay Factor) because everywhere you stop everyone will be giving you the 60 questions, what is it, how fast will it go, is it a motorcycle...........SDF......!

Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts