Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen what the approach angle for the SS will be? I am just wondering if it will be able to go up the ramp into my toy hauler without scraping the nose on the way up.:)

·
Registered
659 Posts
It has 5" of ground clearance, so it should do fine in most enclosed trailer type toy haulers. If yours is one of the RV style with the real high floors, it might need some ramp extensions. The break over angle might get you if the ramp is too steep. I've seen motorcycles get caught on the lower frame trying to get in some of those.

Stephen

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has 5" of ground clearance, so it should do fine in most enclosed trailer type toy haulers. If yours is one of the RV style with the real high floors, it might need some ramp extensions. The break over angle might get you if the ramp is too steep. I've seen motorcycles get caught on the lower frame trying to get in some of those.

Stephen

I pull my Victory Vision in all the time so the ground clearance thing does not worry me so much as the nose dragging. I did the measurements and I will have to back it in to get it to fit in there, I just didn't want to drag it on the way up.

·
Registered
659 Posts
You can always put a couple 2x4's down to help get it on the ramp and lift the nose of the trailer to decrease the angle.

Stephen

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have the same concern about my driveway. It is one of those that is a steep curb although my lowered C5 could make it if you hit it JUST right....

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
DSC_0191.JPG
@NDV
This is how Polaris is doing it,

View attachment 782

Yes, that's our Triton trailer, you can see our Full Throttle stickers on it. I had the distinct--ahem--pleasure of loading this up a few times. That is a car hauling trailer, as you will note by the dual tires and SS barely fits on the edges given it's about as wide as a newer gen Corvette.

I asked Polaris if there will be accessory trailers for these in the works, but it didn't sound likely.

You can always put a couple 2x4's down to help get it on the ramp and lift the nose of the trailer to decrease the angle.
Heheh... yeah, that was Polaris's solution to loading and unloading. Two for the side tires, and right when you are ready for the rear, you take the two boards and slide them together and roll up the rear tire next.
There will be an OEM or aftermarket solution eventually!

Update: We now have a custom trailer for sale that is different than this one pictured.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Kip, do you think it will slide into a 7x14 enclosed, low to the ground, with a rear ramp door without to much difficulty?
The unenclosed trailers are really the best because whether you drive it on or roll it, you might need the extra space to get out! For rolling it on, you'll want one person manning each tire and the steering wheel, and that seems like the best method for cautiously getting it situated on a trailer.

I haven't had much experience with driving it in to a low enclosed trailer, but, naturally you'll be driving it on, very gently, but 7" is probably the right clearance to get in safely.

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
I have had to leave my enclosed trailer hooked to pickup and put a block under the jack of the trailer. Then jack up the front of trailer just a little bit to let the back of the trailer down. Just a slight amount in the front will decrease the angle of the back gate quite a bit. Just don't go crazy and pick the back tires up on the truck. :)

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Or you could just slide the axle forward and lay the trailer down. ;-)

This is my Sloan Quick load trailer.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Or you could just slide the axle forward and lay the trailer down. ;-)

This is my Sloan Quick load trailer.

Hey Rabtech, that's a pretty slick setup. What is the price range for something like that?

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Hey Rabtech, that's a pretty slick setup. What is the price range for something like that?

I think the website is www.kwikload.com , I bought mine on eBay used for 2500.00. I think they start around 4500.00 new. Mine has had linex sprayed over it top and bottom on a rotisserie.

Watch the video on their site. Its really simple to operate.

·
Registered
541 Posts
That's a slick trailer setup. I can see where that would work great with the SS.
Couple of questions - Do the trailer wheels lock while sliding the bed back and forth Locking mechism that the demo operator pulled?

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
They have two spring loaded pins that pull out when sliding. It only locks when they are in the normal position. It has electric brakes on both axles but one has a manual emergency type brake added to it. That way you can pull the brake and it will hold the axle in place while sliding. However I have found that I just pull the pins out and hold my trailer brake in the truck. Then just back up. I don't mess with the manual brake on the trailer. Ill go out and take a picture of the pull pins on the sides. There is one removable pin in the front of the trailer that u pull out before sliding that allows the tilt.

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
You can almost see the pull pin handle between the axles in one of these pictures. I have it setup where i can mount chocks for bikes and spyders. They just slide into plates i bolted to the trailer.

tilt trailer.jpg

20140430_111045.jpg

1 - 20 of 30 Posts