Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 21 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed my sling a 2016.5 have about 1/4 to 3/8" play in the wheel and seems to get worse with time. Took a good look at it and the slop is in the sliding shaft. Can hold the joint right above the electric steering unit and the wheel has a lot of slop. When I was at the Dealers on Monday I checked the 6 he had there and none had it. Anyone else had the same? Thanks

·
Registered
619 Posts
Noticed my sling a 2016.5 have about 1/4 to 3/8" play in the wheel and seems to get worse with time. Took a good look at it and the slop is in the sliding shaft. Can hold the joint right above the electric steering unit and the wheel has a lot of slop. When I was at the Dealers on Monday I checked the 6 he had there and none had it. Anyone else had the same? Thanks
Mine has it. With steering wheel straight, I have about the same amount of slop 1/4" each way before it 'catches'. Its always been there, doesn't seem to have gotten worse. 2016 SL LE.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There should be no play in there, going to see if it is cracked or broken. Would be really bad to have it fail going down the road.

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,850 Posts
Mine was due to a sloppy alignment. Had the laser alignment done last night and the slight adjustments on the tie rods really made a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Above the sliding joint NO play , below the sliding joint hold it there that's when you get the play. Called the dealer he said bring it in and leave it here and he will get Polaris involved. HA HA. Not going to happen.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will pull it out, and see what up with it. Post some photos. Probably will need to be replaced. Another 600.00 down the drain.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Mine had about 1/4 of an inch play. That is why I went to the aftermarket steering wheel. The smaller diameter helped but I still have it.

20160614_080045.jpg

20160802_160649.jpg

20160728_060940.jpg

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,850 Posts
Is there a way to pack shims where it meets to get rid of the play?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No shims, the lower shaft slides into the upper when you would get into a crash. That way the shaft and steering wheel would not come up into your face.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mine does not have any play like that but.......my steering wheel had never been at the 12:00 position going straight down the road even after putting an aftermarket one on and adjusting it until........I loosened the belt and adjusted the angle drive to fit the belt more in the middle of the angle drive sprocket. It now tracks perfectly at the 12:00 position. I have not a clue why it affected the steering wheel position, but it did.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I went looking on mine and the slop or play is in the area between the steering box and the steering column. Almost like backlash in the spline. I wounder if I can tighten up. Checking the manual now

20160831_101658.jpg

20160831_101709.jpg

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anytime you change the belt tracking position you also are moving the rear wheel where it tracks. When you do a belt tracking adjustment you are actually moving the rear swingarm left or right. In reality you move the rear tire left or right.

1 - 21 of 74 Posts